Trying New Recipes

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 3:24am by Pebbles13

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 10

I am venturing out from NFSC, and have now tried the Chocolate roll-out cookies (from CC), and Cinnamon Spice cookies and Sugar cookies made with cream cheese from Karen's Creations.
The chocolate dough seemed very dry- I think I will put a little less flour next time, and probably need to mix a little more in the KA. The baked cookie is more brownie-like.
The cinn spice dough is yummy, haven't tried a baked cookie yet!
The cream cheese dough is interesting- very elastic, and not very sweet. Again, haven't tried a baked one yet.

I printed out a recipe from Cookie Crazie website. Will try that in a few days!
What other recipes should I try? I am trying to collect a variety. My husband's office loves me!

9 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 10

There's some great recipes specifically intended for shaped cookies at the cookie cutter site www.kitchengifts.com

They taste yummy and work really well because they don't spread/puff, etc. thumbs_up.gif

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 10

Oooh, I always want to try new recipes too! I think I'll try the cinnamon one you talked about, is the recipe from CC?

My sugar cookie recipe is from All Recipes and it's called The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie, or something like that. It has over 2000 reviews all saying it's great. I add 2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond though, more than what they call for, otherwise it is kind of bland.

Have you tried the chocolate chip rolled out cookie that was posted here a while ago? I'm nervous to try that one with the chips but I think people have liked it.

Have fun!!!

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 10

The cinnamon spice cookie is from kitchengifts.com. It is very firm, and a bit crunchy, which DH likes, DD not so much. I think when iced, it should be a good balance.

The cream cheese sugar cookie from the same site I was leary about, but it baked up wonderfully, and tastes good. Not alot of flavor, but again I think will be a good balance with icing.

Both held shape perfectly! I tried using laminated clip art as templates for hand cutting, and that also worked well. I tend to be a last minute do-er, and of course didn't have all the cutters I wanted. For my purposes, which is not production, the templates were fine.

I will have to look for that choc chip recipe. I wonder if mini chips would be good, so cutting would work around them better than larger chips.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 10

Using mini-chips works great! I don't remember having too much trouble with them. Here's a Peanut Butter Roll-Out recipe that I just tried this weekend (I submitted it in the recipes, but it will take a while for it to post). Note: I halved the recipe to try, as it is a large recipe. It makes a very soft dough, though it wasn't sticky, so it was easy to work with. Also, the cookies had almost no spread.

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely crushed corn flake cereal
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, an sugar until fluffy. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cereal, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until a soft dough forms. On a lightly greased surface, roll the dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut your cookies and transfer to a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (or lightly grease the cookie sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes.

As I said, I made a half recipe, and ended up with 32 Easter egg cookies (about 3.5" tall by 2.5" wide). A full recipe will, obviously, yield twice that much.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 10

GeminiRJ, is this the recipe you used for your BEAUTIFUL Easter Egg cookies posted in the gallery?

They are absolutely gorgeous!

I'm going to have to try that recipe.

All of Karens recipes are great! The cinnamon spice are the bomb!

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

GeminiRJ, is this the recipe you used for your BEAUTIFUL Easter Egg cookies posted in the gallery?

They are absolutely gorgeous!

I'm going to have to try that recipe.

All of Karens recipes are great! The cinnamon spice are the bomb!

Thank you for liking the eggs! And yes, I used the peanut butter recipe to make them. I'm thinking I might add mini-chips the next time I make it...can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter together!

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 10

So has anyone else noticed that the recipe I posted for the peanut butter roll-outs doesn't tell you when to add the peanut butter? Bummer. I just got a PM wondering about it. Didn't even notice the omission. I told her I'm going to have to hire a proof-reader before submitting any more recipes! So....add the peanut butter after you've creamed the first ingredients and before adding the dry ingredients.

Lcubed82 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 10

I copied the recipe, but haven't tried it yet, so had not noticed! Thanks for the update.

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #10 of 10

Gemini - thanks for the recipe. It sounds really good and I have all of the ingredients on hand! I agree with cookiemookie - your Easter egg cookies are the prettiest I have ever seen! You have some mad piping skillz icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again for the recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%