Oddball Question About My Finger

Decorating By Jesjacster2 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 4:43am by TonyaBakes

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 7

Weird as it is..has anyone ever had there pointer fingernail digit say swell up become real hard and red from doing alot of cookies before..I've been doing alot of cookies lately a wonderful man has been letting me sell cookies at his place TACO CASA a fast food cheap taco place as a fundraiser for my son...alot of work ..selling them for two dollars and they are sizable and 7 different collars. Anyway we put a sign up and we started selling average some days 15 and early week less a day but alot of time plus during that my 5 year olds birthday party and cake I did with lots of cookies as favors. My finger is killing me. It's an odd question but I couldn't even squirt a glass cleaner on my glasses because I couldn't push down...and you can see where the red stops like a line right under my first digit ..what woud you do for something like that? any ideas? and anybody have this issue before..thanks, Tina

6 replies
lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 7

well, as a matter of fact, I have the same problem. it's my right hand of course because that's the one I use! It's terrible. I don't do cookies but I do cakes (newbie) and I have had such terrible pain and swelling. My SIL is a PT and she said to massage it downwards towards your hand. She named something (I can't remember) that makes the blood flow "kink" and that may help relieve the pinch. I've tried it to a point...to be honest, it hurts too much to touch some days. But, maybe it'll work for you.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #3 of 7

I would definately have that checked out by your doctor! Obviously, you didn't jam it in a drawer, or hit it with a hammer, so it sounds like it could be an infection. It's possible, that it is just from the stress of using that hand so much, but I wouldn't take that chance if I were you. If you can see an obvious line where the swelling and redness stops, that's a good sign to have it checked. Good luck!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

I would really have it checked out - I had that happen, but to my left index finger. There was no cut or any scratch. I had to go to the doctor for something else and mentioned it. He said it looked like an infection and cut a little into it (didn't hurt) and green pus came out. Anyway, he said something could have gotten into a tiny crack in my cuticle or anything. But it sounds just like what you're describing, pain, swelling, and I could see where the red line just ended. He gave me an RX cream for it and he had put me on an antibiotic anyway, for the sinus infection I went to him for. It was much better the next day!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 7

I agree with Abra526 have it checked by a doctor. If the redness and swelling move up the finger, get yourself into the doctor or emergency room ASAP. You may just be dealing brusing from over use, but a doctor needs to make sure. Pain is always a sign of something being wrong; please don't ignore it. It is your body's way of getting your attention.

I had sore thumb a couple of months ago. I happened to have had a doctor's appointment at the time so I mentioned it. Surprise, there was a name and treatment for what that pain and clicking in my thumb joint. What you are describing doesn't sound like what I had, but what you have more than likely has a name and treatment too.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 7

Thanks yawl..I'm gonna make an appointment first thing monday morning...My brother in law is in the border patrol and teaches on the gun range...and my sister said it sounded like what happen to him one time with his trigger finger..it was a callous under the skin but his didn't swell up and she said she didn't remeber it being red..hmmm I go get it checked out ...was hoping it was something from overuse and maybe somebody here might have had it happen, nite ladies

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #7 of 7

Once before I was spider bit on the hand and had a red line extending from my palm toward my wrist that over a period of a few days began to get a little "longer". When I went to the Dr he told me that anytime you have such a "line" that seemed to get "longer" over time or didn't fade away like a scratch would , that was sign of an infection. If I were you I would go get that looked at.
Hope all goes well, keep us posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%