Cupcakes W/o Pan

Baking By warmvanillasugar1234 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 1:58am by warmvanillasugar1234

warmvanillasugar1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 22

Has anybody baked cupcakes without a muffin pan? I would like to bake cupcakes for my friend's birthday but i don't have a cake pan and I'm not much of a baker so I don't want to go buy one. I'm planning on using the foil liners and putting the cupcakes close together but will that work? 1466434/
It looks like it'll work but I'm still unsure.
LL
LL

21 replies
hailinguk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hailinguk Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 22

Hi There,

I have never tried to bake cupcakes without the pan but if you have really thick sturdy liners like the one in the picture I don't see why it wouldn't work, however, if you have those flimsy paper liners it will spread all over.

HTH x

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 22

the liners you show should be just fine. or else you might want to buy those silicone ones. i think it's about $12 for 12? But I see them on sale a lot... they're nice compared to the pans because it doesn't take up too much storage space, they just fit into each other or bend depending on the kind. If you were here I'd give you mine! I have two sets I never use because I already have cupcake pans!

CrystalEyez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalEyez Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 22

on cupcakeblog.com, she uses a nut/candy cup. those look like they can hold up completely on their own. I just don't think that you can get them at the grocery store. i have seen them at michaels and a.c. moore, as well as my local party shop that also sells cake decorating, baking, and candy items.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 22

My sister bakes cupcakes using the foil liners on a cookie sheet all the time. It works great.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 22

Howdy. I bake them in those foil cups you get right up at any grocery store. It works great! And you can fit a whole bunch, like 20 or so, on one cookie sheet! HTH!! icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 22

I bake them like that all the time. It works great, and as PP said you can bake more at a time. As for silicone cupcake liners -hate them! They are a pain to clean. And unless you are only having family at home eat them, you have to remove them before delivery and the cupcake dries out icon_confused.gif . I used mine once and learned my lesson. I think it costs more to wash them than to just buy the foil liners. If anyone has a good use for these I would love to know. The only thing I can think of is for muffins that you're going to store in tupperware anyways. Ok I'm done with my rant on evil silicone liners icon_twisted.gif .

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 22

ive done it with paper liners, the just end up wider at the top. and you should really put it in double liners for a bit more support, but... you can get really cheap cupcake pans though, its worth looking about.
xx

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 22

I tried it once. I didn't have a lot of luck because I wanted the cupcakes to fit on a tiered cupcake holder. The cupcakes weren't uniform because some were fatter than others and they didn't fit on the holder...I had to bake them all again!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #10 of 22

I have definitely used the foil liners often, in fact I think that's their purpose, if you buy the ones in the supermarket: They come with a paper liner and a foil liner, you discard the foil liner after baking and are left with a paper liner for serving. However that said, I do feel like my cupcakes spread out a little too much; they don't seem firm enough. But they do work.

I highly recommend the nut cup suggestion. As mentioned, they are available at Michael's (or wherever), stand up by themselves, and look really nice too! You can find lots of nut cup-baked cupcakes in the galleries

I also second sarahpierce's hatred of silicone liners LOL. I am one of the few people who can actually taste the silicone when I eat the goods. The suggestions I've seen for those is to use them for non-baking activities, i.e. snack holders for nuts, candies, etc. Also, I don't know if it would be impossible to match up the pleating, but I wonder if you can put a paper liner in those things so that you have the convenience of stand-alone cupcake baking, but minimal cleanup (and taste transfer).

MamaJenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaJenni Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #11 of 22

If you read the 'instructions' on the pack of foil ones that's what they're for, and they're awesome=-)
Also, you can get a cheapy pan at WalMart for like 2 bucks =-)

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 22

If you reeeeally don't want to buy a muffin pan (can easily find one for $5), you can always go with the disposable foil muffin pans--but even then, you can keep the pan and use it again until you decide to throw it away. They usually come with some paper baking cups too!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 22

I read somone else's tip of using HEAVY DUTY foil and shaping it to the back of a cupcake tin & using that as a tin. Hope that makes sense! Like making a mold to put the cc papers in.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #14 of 22

The foil liner I buy say in the instructions that the paper liners are to be discarded; they are only separators in packaging.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

The foil liner I buy say in the instructions that the paper liners are to be discarded; they are only separators in packaging.

Really? icon_confused.gif Oops icon_redface.gif I always use the paper liner too!

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 22

Someone wondered what to do with the silicone cupcake liners instead of actually baking cupcakes in them. When I need to do small amounts of hard candy in different colors, I make the candy with isomalt. I prepare hard candy syrup then pour on a silicone mat to harden. When I am ready to use, I put portions of the hardened syrup (broken up) in the silicone muffin liner, with desired coloring and melt in the microwave. Then pour (the silicone can be bent to form a spout) into sprayed molds (I'm workinig on candy jewels right now). The silicone muffin liner deals with the heat better than glass which gets too hot or plastic which melts.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #17 of 22

Now that is a great idea cakecookie6~! I need to remember that one. Someone gave me a silicone cupcake pan ... icon_confused.gif ... and now I know what to do with it.. icon_biggrin.gif

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #18 of 22

Sarahpierce, I too bought the silicone liners (I think we talked about this in a different thread?) and hated them, I will only use them now for 1. Round - Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and 2. Square - My husband's Brownies. Both call for something a bit sturdier and they come out pretty easily and don't dry out.

As for the foil liners, I've never used them but I'm glad to know you can bake in them without a muffin pan. icon_biggrin.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

As for silicone cupcake liners -hate them! They are a pain to clean. And unless you are only having family at home eat them, you have to remove them before delivery and the cupcake dries out icon_confused.gif . I used mine once and learned my lesson. I think it costs more to wash them than to just buy the foil liners. If anyone has a good use for these I would love to know.

Hubby bought me some for Christmas, and I can't bring myself to tell him they're obnoxious. icon_rolleyes.gif But I did see on TV an idea to use them as molds. They "painted" the inside of the silicone cupcake liners with melted chocolate (probably candy melts). Then when they hardened, they had the ribbed edges and were cute little edible chocolate ice cream bowls.

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 22

Ohhhhhh great idea!! Thanks for sharing that, I'm most definitely going to try it and see what a hit that is with the family. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 22

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if you need to spray the nut cups when using them as cupcake liners? I've always had a problem with regular paper liners popping off of my vanilla cupcakes and I saw on another website cupcakes baked in the nut cups and I thought it might alleviate my problem, plus I really like how they look. I just did a test run of both chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and after attempting to get them out of the cups it was kind of a mess... especially since I hadn't frosted them yet! I can only imagine how messy that will be! I want to make cupcakes for my daughter's birthday party next week, but I don't want to torture a bunch of two and three year olds with cupcakes they can't get at!

Thanks!

warmvanillasugar1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmvanillasugar1234 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChick

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if you need to spray the nut cups when using them as cupcake liners? I've always had a problem with regular paper liners popping off of my vanilla cupcakes and I saw on another website cupcakes baked in the nut cups and I thought it might alleviate my problem, plus I really like how they look. I just did a test run of both chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and after attempting to get them out of the cups it was kind of a mess... especially since I hadn't frosted them yet! I can only imagine how messy that will be! I want to make cupcakes for my daughter's birthday party next week, but I don't want to torture a bunch of two and three year olds with cupcakes they can't get at!

Thanks!

I think most people snip he edge a little with scissors so its easy to rips open, but I'm not entirely sure icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%