Oily Bc And Heavy Cake. Someone Please Help. Thanks

Decorating By cut-n-up Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm by Kayakado

cut-n-up Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #1 of 3

icon_redface.gif I am trying to get into the biz. I am really pretty good at the decorating end and love it. My chocolate cakes are great but I cannot for the life of me I cannot get a decent yellow cake or plain buttercream to turn out. My last cake was the first box cake that I have used thinking I probably could not mess that up and my family member that I made it for said that my buttercream was oily and my cake was very heavy. I do make carved cakes so they do have to be a little denser than normal but this one was just a few layers so I thought that I would just use a box cake and maybe it would be okay but they still said that it was heavy. Can anyone just give me a good yellow recipe that does not taste heavy but can withhold carving and a good buttercream that is not oily or too sweet. I have tried so many recipes and I cannot find the right one. Like I said my chocolate is great but everyone does not want chocolate. Thanks so much for your input. icon_redface.gif

2 replies
JanH Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:03am
post #2 of 3

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

The above thread has popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c's using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening, doctored cake mixes and fondant.

Kayakado Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 3

Try the crusting cream cheese icing recipe on this site. For a carved cake, that's all I use, alone or under the fondant. I hate the taste and mouth fill of crisco and all those fake shortenings. I also sometimes use a regular cake mix combined with a pound cake mix or a pound cake mix alone. I have found adding a few Tbsp of flavored coffee creamer or Tourani syrup to the mix as part of the liquids can add a nice flavor to the cake. I warn people if they want a 3D cake, that some of the cake parts required will be dense like a pound cake. I often mix cake types and fllavors in a single cake. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%