A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 18 Aug 2016 , 2:18am by -K8memphis

Loublou Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:22pm
post #2521 of 25872

Hi everyone
I am new to cakecentral and this is my first post. I am really pleased that there is a UK forum, I can't believe I have only just found it.

I have been enjoying reading all your posts. Its going to fab having somewhere to go for advice and inspiration.

icon_biggrin.gif

Rach82 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:21pm
post #2522 of 25872

Hi

I've only just found this post too. I have been mostly reading the posts on CC. I'm just setting myself up, mostly doing cake pops, but I have done a few big cakes & cupcakes (although nowhere near as good as all of yours!, but I'm learning & getting there slowly). I'm learning so much from being on here & I will eventually find time to read through the other 168 pages on this thread!

Rach

Rosiepan Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2523 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have been dabbling in a bit of blown/pulled sugar. I managed to blow my first few sugar bubbles today icon_smile.gif My sugar pump and my heat lamp are all DIY/home made so if anyone wants the information on how to do it and where to get the stuff from let me know. My dads next task is to make me a sugar warming box icon_biggrin.gif



Ooo this all sounds really interesting. Always like to see new stuff. How did it all go?

I'm having a nightmare with these lace moulds. Seriously I cannot get a single one out without a ragged edge. It says roll over the top of the top lace piece and then pull excess away.. mmm just stretches and mess and the top mould moves so much! I am using flower paste is that a mistake do you know? I know Bashini and Rosiepan have alo used it so any tips please. I have a 4 tier to do tomorrow - well thankfully only 2 tiers of it icon_sad.gif thank you icon_smile.gif




I used the blue silicone mould. I pushed the paste in, rolled over it and used an off set spatula to scrape across the top and smooth the rough edges. .
I believe it can help to pop in the freezer for ten minutes but I didn't need to do that.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:34am
post #2524 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have been dabbling in a bit of blown/pulled sugar. I managed to blow my first few sugar bubbles today icon_smile.gif My sugar pump and my heat lamp are all DIY/home made so if anyone wants the information on how to do it and where to get the stuff from let me know. My dads next task is to make me a sugar warming box icon_biggrin.gif



Ooo this all sounds really interesting. Always like to see new stuff. How did it all go?

I'm having a nightmare with these lace moulds. Seriously I cannot get a single one out without a ragged edge. It says roll over the top of the top lace piece and then pull excess away.. mmm just stretches and mess and the top mould moves so much! I am using flower paste is that a mistake do you know? I know Bashini and Rosiepan have alo used it so any tips please. I have a 4 tier to do tomorrow - well thankfully only 2 tiers of it icon_sad.gif thank you icon_smile.gif



Yea went pretty good, the bubbles are easy to make. I made a bird but I can't decide whether it looks more like a fish with feathers. I think I'll add more feathers and then post a pic.




I look forward to seeing the results! wish i had more time lately to experiment I have been still in kitchen at midnight with prep for 2 wedding fayres. Just a question do any of you go to many wedding fayres - what do you think of their value? Do you offer prices on the spot or always get them to leave details? I hate pricing on spot as things always change just wondered what you all did? icon_smile.gif x

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:34am
post #2525 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loublou

Hi everyone
I am new to cakecentral and this is my first post. I am really pleased that there is a UK forum, I can't believe I have only just found it.

I have been enjoying reading all your posts. Its going to fab having somewhere to go for advice and inspiration.

icon_biggrin.gif




Hi there welcome to the forum. It's great to have a UK forum everyone's great on here icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:35am
post #2526 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach82

Hi

I've only just found this post too. I have been mostly reading the posts on CC. I'm just setting myself up, mostly doing cake pops, but I have done a few big cakes & cupcakes (although nowhere near as good as all of yours!, but I'm learning & getting there slowly). I'm learning so much from being on here & I will eventually find time to read through the other 168 pages on this thread!

Rach




Hi Rach welcome to the forum for us UK bakers icon_smile.gif Good luck with setting up, I could sit all day on here looking at stuff!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:45am
post #2527 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Just thought I'd let you all know that I have been dabbling in a bit of blown/pulled sugar. I managed to blow my first few sugar bubbles today icon_smile.gif My sugar pump and my heat lamp are all DIY/home made so if anyone wants the information on how to do it and where to get the stuff from let me know. My dads next task is to make me a sugar warming box icon_biggrin.gif



Ooo this all sounds really interesting. Always like to see new stuff. How did it all go?

I'm having a nightmare with these lace moulds. Seriously I cannot get a single one out without a ragged edge. It says roll over the top of the top lace piece and then pull excess away.. mmm just stretches and mess and the top mould moves so much! I am using flower paste is that a mistake do you know? I know Bashini and Rosiepan have alo used it so any tips please. I have a 4 tier to do tomorrow - well thankfully only 2 tiers of it icon_sad.gif thank you icon_smile.gif



I used the blue silicone mould. I pushed the paste in, rolled over it and used an off set spatula to scrape across the top and smooth the rough edges. .
I believe it can help to pop in the freezer for ten minutes but I didn't need to do that.




Hi Rosie thank you for this. I eventually finished the 2 tiers of lace work. It as a little trial and error but it turned out really well in the end, and definitely nice with a little lusture! thanks all icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:05am
post #2528 of 25872

Hi allabout, I have done quite a few. Most of the customers would ask how is a 2 tier/ 3 tier and so on. Then I would say that they start from this amount (I have a starting price for every cake) and will go up if they need sugarflower/figures and if there is lot of detail. And would ask them to email me the design if they have one. But if they are interested in one of my cake which already done, then I would give the price. If they have the design on hand and want the price I would get their email address and send them an email. icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2529 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi allabout, I have done quite a few. Most of the customers would ask how is a 2 tier/ 3 tier and so on. Then I would say that they start from this amount (I have a starting price for every cake) and will go up if they need sugarflower/figures and if there is lot of detail. And would ask them to email me the design if they have one. But if they are interested in one of my cake which already done, then I would give the price. If they have the design on hand and want the price I would get their email address and send them an email. icon_smile.gif




thanks this is really helpful. I hate pricing and I just have to bite the bullet on this one.. just know it will take some doing! icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:22pm
post #2530 of 25872

You are welcome! Hope it goes well! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2531 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

You are welcome! Hope it goes well! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif




Thank you icon_smile.gif am struggling on my first cake already.. need to sit and break it down but no time with flower making on the agenda!

Have any of you made hydrangeas.. they are driving me to distraction they just are so delicate. have made the centres first but the petals just want to break off all the time once I thread them through icon_sad.gif

Valkstar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm
post #2532 of 25872

I wonder if any of you can help me choose an oven.

I've been given the opportunity to run a cupcake stand at a large Christmas market, and I will have to get a better oven...the home one just doesn't have the capacity. I'm just not sure what to look for, so before I go and ask a vendor, would any of you have advice?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:14am
post #2533 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

I wonder if any of you can help me choose an oven.

I've been given the opportunity to run a cupcake stand at a large Christmas market, and I will have to get a better oven...the home one just doesn't have the capacity. I'm just not sure what to look for, so before I go and ask a vendor, would any of you have advice?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif




Hi there, I think my main advice would be to get the best that you can and also check the inside depth/width of the oven. You'll be surprised what a squeeze it can be sometimes and I know some friends who bake that due to the element at the back of the oven they cannot fit a 12" or 14" into the oven due to this as it sticks far out into the oven. So perhaps look at what you'll be baking the most. In my old house I had a range cooker - bliss with fitting up to 3 trays across at a time! Worth thinking about. HTH i'm sure others can pitch in. P.S. I use a fan assisted oven which I get on well with but you have to of course adjust temps to account for it so also think what you prefer to use icon_smile.gif

Valkstar Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:44am
post #2534 of 25872

Thanks...what I am thinking about is getting a separate oven, one I could probably use on the countertop when I need it. I think they're mainly convection ovens, but if it had a few shelves it would save me so much time.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:03pm
post #2535 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

Thanks...what I am thinking about is getting a separate oven, one I could probably use on the countertop when I need it. I think they're mainly convection ovens, but if it had a few shelves it would save me so much time.




I'm not sure what counter tops are like to be honest. Is there any way you can get another oven to go under a counter without the hob etc?

Valkstar Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2536 of 25872

I just don't have the room unfortunately. Anyway, I've just found out the cost of the market - 2,500 for 3 weeks icon_eek.gif . They're expecting 250,000 visitors but it's a lot to shell out upfront.

justliloleme Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:06pm
post #2537 of 25872

Hi I just found this thread, I will have to spend a day just to read it from the start! icon_smile.gif

I have been watching Choccywoccydoodah on the good food channel, and I was wondering if there was an edible glitter that I haven't been able to find?

They seem to cover their cakes in the stuff, yet the only glitter I have found (and used) has been for decorative purposes only.

I'd be interested in buying some if anybody knows.

Lemmers Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:37pm
post #2538 of 25872

Any glitter sold in cake decorating shops/online should be edible- try www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk as they have loads of the stuff!

justliloleme Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:54pm
post #2539 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmers

Any glitter sold in cake decorating shops/online should be edible- try www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk as they have loads of the stuff!





I have some of the rainbow dust glitter, it says on it " for decorative use only".
Is it safe to eat? If yes, is it palatable?

I suppose the only way to find out is to try some! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for replying.

Rach82 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2540 of 25872

Hi

I have glitter that is edible, not sure who makes it, but I'll look when I get home from work tonight. It is edible & it tastes of nothing! I've used it on most of the cakes I've done. I have silver, hot pink & irridescent at the moment, but you can get all sorts of colours. I just got it from my local cakes shop.

Rach

allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2541 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by justliloleme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmers

Any glitter sold in cake decorating shops/online should be edible- try www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk as they have loads of the stuff!




I have some of the rainbow dust glitter, it says on it " for decorative use only".
Is it safe to eat? If yes, is it palatable?

I suppose the only way to find out is to try some! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for replying.




They say for decorative purposes only on theirs because mainly it is used on stuff that you won't eat - for example sugar butterflies/flowers etc as they are just so hard when made of flower paste. Basically the glitter is not ingested it passes straight through the system. personally I wouldn't want to eat something anyway with too much glitter on it reminds me of crunchy sand lol so try to get the stuff that is pretty fine. Edable Art do totally edible glitter that is a very fine dust so is less crunchy icon_smile.gif http://www.edible-glitter.co.uk - try these people for it. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

melonball Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2542 of 25872

Is anyone going to Cake international in a few weeks? Or entering a competition?

This is my first year going and don't know what to expect, I thought I'd enter the novice class and it gives me an excuse to make a cake!!!

Whats it like?

justliloleme Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:14pm
post #2543 of 25872

Thanks allaboutcakeuk!

I imagined it would be rather crunchy! icon_smile.gif

justliloleme Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2544 of 25872

Thanks allaboutcakeuk!

I imagined it would be rather crunchy! icon_smile.gif

melonball Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #2545 of 25872

Does anyone know where you can get different coloured cake boards from?
I'm after either pale blue or white.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:11pm
post #2546 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonball

Does anyone know where you can get different coloured cake boards from?
I'm after either pale blue or white.




Have a surf of the web always the greatest source of products although they don't always exist the things we want the most icon_sad.gif

this place does blue boards.. not quite so pale though but still worth a look?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-COLOURED-10-cake-drum-board-PALE-BLUE-/400235109826?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&var=&hash=item9bffc51a00

icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:52pm
post #2547 of 25872

Hi all I've got a gluten/wheat free question.. my OH is gluten/wheat intolerant. I've made a fruit cake/christmas cake for him before and just did the same recipe (Delias good old fruit cake) but substituted the normal flour for Doves. Now i've just had a look at cherries (glace) and it says traces of wheat! Has anyone used any that don't say this?? I'm surprised. Also I've been asked to do a wedding cake completely gluten/wheat free fruit cake. They had been told that the bakery near them couldn't do it as it wouldn't hold up to decorating and stacking - what on earth are they on about??? I think it will be ok don't you? Maybe it's not quite so "dense" but even so are they right or am I just being overly cautious on hearing this? I've done wheat/gluten free sponges for them. Thanks all

Rosiepan Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2548 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Hi all I've got a gluten/wheat free question.. my OH is gluten/wheat intolerant. I've made a fruit cake/christmas cake for him before and just did the same recipe (Delias good old fruit cake) but substituted the normal flour for Doves. Now i've just had a look at cherries (glace) and it says traces of wheat! Has anyone used any that don't say this?? I'm surprised. Also I've been asked to do a wedding cake completely gluten/wheat free fruit cake. They had been told that the bakery near them couldn't do it as it wouldn't hold up to decorating and stacking - what on earth are they on about??? I think it will be ok don't you? Maybe it's not quite so "dense" but even so are they right or am I just being overly cautious on hearing this? I've done wheat/gluten free sponges for them. Thanks all



I suspect the wheat may be in the syrup. My old Mary berry recipe for fruit cake says to rinse and dry the clace cherries first Which is what I do.
Can't help you about the rest as I have no experience in gluten/ wheat free cakes.

Jennifer353 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 9:52am
post #2549 of 25872
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonball

Is anyone going to Cake international in a few weeks? Or entering a competition?

This is my first year going and don't know what to expect, I thought I'd enter the novice class and it gives me an excuse to make a cake!!!

Whats it like?




I just realised this morning I can't goicon_sad.gif Been for the last couple of years and was looking forward to going this year but I have other plans made in ages for that weekend without realising it clashed so I'll have to miss it but gutted.

Good luck with your entry!

Noobz Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 9:12am
post #2550 of 25872

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but have you guys seen sugarshacks new website! Its free delivery over £15 annnnnd they are going to start stocking Satin Ice! Toooo excited icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.sugarshack.co.uk/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%