A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2221 of 25877

Hi, does anyone have a spreadsheet they use and wouldn't mind sharing for their book keeping please if they are self employed and run a small cake business. i'm finding it difficult for people to understand what i'm talking about when you need to break it down into cake supply language and they've all been way too confusing the one's I've had!?

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2222 of 25877

an excellent chocolate cake recipe

hersheys chocolate cake
http://www.hersheys.com/pure-recipes/184/HERSHEY'S

If I can help with scratch recipes, I will be glad to do it.

I work only with scratch recipes

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2223 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Hi guys - I will be back in the UK in the first week of August, and was trying to find a decent cake design/decorating class or two...any theme or subject really (intermediate to advanced flowers, royal icing piping, decorative techniques etc). I only really want 1 or 2 days. I will be in Lincolnshire but can travel no problem. Does anyone know of any? Preferably without spending 995 GBP at LVCC or Peggy Porschen's academy!! Anyway they have no courses worthwhile in August...

Or maybe I can see about setting up a one on one with someone uber-professional for a couple of hundred quid. Ideas? Or have any of you done this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there try "fair cake" their classes are amazing and they have star tutors from well known bakeries and off of food network etc.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2224 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna1

so, after reading many posts from U.S bakers, and ending up a little confused, i now need some information from you lovely U.K bakers icon_smile.gif

- is there a uk equivalent to pudding mixes?

- what do you use to flavour your cupcakes in the UK, the US ladies seem to use a lot of coffee syrups and lorrann oils.

- same goes to flavouring buttercream, what do you tend to use?

- is there a uk equivalent to bettercreme??

thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Hi there I spoke with a US lady who said apparently our equivalent to pudding mix is Angels Delight - who'd have thought it?!

I use good quality extracts - like the madagascan vanilla etc.

ooo i'm not sure on that one you've got me thinking now!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:34am
post #2225 of 25877

Thanks for all your suggestions on classes everyone. I still haven't found what I'm looking for though - perhaps my problem is I don't know what I want to learn really icon_rolleyes.gif

joaste116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaste116 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:51am
post #2226 of 25877

Have you tried Windsor cake craft in warrington. They advertise local classes. I'm going to Debbie browns class in November, she may have other classes.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:19am
post #2227 of 25877

Nobody shares the same enthusiasm as me when I try to talk to family/friends about exciting cake news sooo... I thought I'd share here!

I've bought the majority of the equipment needed to try my hand at pulled/blown sugar and I am super excited! I'm making a DIY sugar pump which only cost me £8.01 to get the stuff for.. whether it works is another step! And I finally managed to find somewhere that sells Silpat in the UK. I'm going to get my dad to build me a DIY sugar warming box. All I need now is some sort of blowtorch, all the sites I've read have suggested a DIY store rather than a catering one, but they are like £40 and I'm trying to keep costs down. I'll find something, I've very frugal hehe.

My aim next week is to make pulled sugar flowing water pouring out of a tilted teapot. Fingers crossed it goes well icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:43am
post #2228 of 25877

Hi all, I'm currently emailing the owners of The Cake Decorating company and suggesting US products they could get in. They've emailed me back asking for any suggestions so they can have a look at them. I've suggested SPS to them, and they are very interested in that.

Does anyone have any other ideas I can suggest for them? I can't remember what stuff I want from the US now I've been asked lol!

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:21pm
post #2229 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Hi all, I'm currently emailing the owners of The Cake Decorating company and suggesting US products they could get in. They've emailed me back asking for any suggestions so they can have a look at them. I've suggested SPS to them, and they are very interested in that.

Does anyone have any other ideas I can suggest for them? I can't remember what stuff I want from the US now I've been asked lol!

ooh that's a good idea! what about The Mat? and CakeSafes?

I love their range of designer stencils, my only problem is deciding which set to buy, i want them all!!

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm
post #2230 of 25877

I suggested The Mat but I don't think they were that interested, doesn't seem like a product they would stock.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2231 of 25877

How about the agbay thumbs_up.gif

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:53pm
post #2232 of 25877

I think Maureen @ Agbay wants to be the sole distributor but I will mention it to TCDC and see what they say.

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:14pm
post #2233 of 25877

[quote="jillyscakes"]How about the agbay thumbs_up.gif[/quote

At the risk of sounding stupid icon_redface.gif wot is an agbay? icon_lol.gif

LisaPeps Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2234 of 25877

A cake leveller. Google Agbay products and their website will come up and if you search for them on you tube there are a lot of videos on there.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #2235 of 25877

[quote="mo63"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

How about the agbay thumbs_up.gif[/quote

At the risk of sounding stupid icon_redface.gif wot is an agbay? icon_lol.gif

Its a cake leveler. I have one and its just amazing. Here is the link for you to have a look.

http://www.agbayproducts.com/

idontknow Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2236 of 25877
Quote:

I suggested The Mat but I don't think they were that interested, doesn't seem like a product they would stock.

huh, what a shame, i would have bought it..as it's not too expensive (if you dont have to pay international postage).

livlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livlou Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #2237 of 25877
idontknow Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:51pm
post #2238 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by livlou

i got my' the mat' from ebay, it only cost me £22 with postage http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cake-fondant-rolling-Mat-Sweetwise-/330534840846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5696a0e

Livlou, well there goes 22 pounds! Would you recommend it? Rolling out sugarpaste is the one thing i struggle with most and if the mate works i would buy it in a blink - please tell me it changed your life?!?

livlou Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2239 of 25877

i have only used it twice, first time, was great, second time i got in a muddle and gave up but dont think i kneaded it enough so fondant was very stiff, loved how it stuck to the mat while lifting over the cake and when i needed to readjust it, think you need to have a few practices with it, they say it needs breaking in. i had been wanting one since first seen it but couldnt as wouldnt pay over £30 just for postage so when found it on ebay i ordered it straight away icon_smile.gif

mo63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo63 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2240 of 25877

Oh right. Thank you Bashini. Thought it was something to do with E bay haha icon_redface.gif I just had look at your link and I think I want one!! thumbs_up.gif

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #2241 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Hi guys - I will be back in the UK in the first week of August, and was trying to find a decent cake design/decorating class or two...any theme or subject really (intermediate to advanced flowers, royal icing piping, decorative techniques etc). I only really want 1 or 2 days. I will be in Lincolnshire but can travel no problem. Does anyone know of any? Preferably without spending 995 GBP at LVCC or Peggy Porschen's academy!! Anyway they have no courses worthwhile in August...

Or maybe I can see about setting up a one on one with someone uber-professional for a couple of hundred quid. Ideas? Or have any of you done this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there try "fair cake" their classes are amazing and they have star tutors from well known bakeries and off of food network etc.

I have attended 2 classes with Debbie Brown - she is a great teacher. Her classes are quite small so plenty of attention and opportunity to ask questions... and also we had great fun! I believe she will do "One on One" classes too.

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:30am
post #2242 of 25877

Hi all,
Please can any one tell me if and where i can buy these impression mats in the link below in the UK. Has any one got them and where did they buy theirs from. It is used on this name tag for the cake below.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/.....ion%20Mats.

Here is the cake link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2.....669406393/
Cheers

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:58am
post #2243 of 25877
Quote:

Please tell them to stock these impression mats by Makins.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=24778

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2244 of 25877

Also if we're putting together a list of US items, candy melts would be good!! Ideal for cake pops etc! You can get them at Hobbycraft but so much easier if we can get everything in one place- and SPS is definately a good one as I've yet to find it anywhere in the UK icon_smile.gif

idontknow Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2245 of 25877
Quote:

i got my' the mat' from ebay, it only cost me £22 with postage http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cake-fondant-rolling-Mat-Sweetwise-/330534840846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5696a0e

sorry to ask another question livlou but i was just wondering, were you charged customs or anything like that, since its coming from abroad? thanks!

LisaPeps Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2246 of 25877

They already stock merckens candy melts which are alot better than the Wilton ones.

livlou Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2247 of 25877

hi, idontknow, i was not charged anymore on top icon_smile.gif

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:59am
post #2248 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

does anyone have an easy recipe for an egg free sponge?
I am making a cake for my friends birthday for saturday & she just informed me that her daughters new boyfriend will be there & is allergic to egg so she told him 'never mind my friend can make you an egg free cake!!' all a bit last minute!

Got this out a cake decorating mag but not tried it yet. makes a 6in round

200g sweetened condensed milk
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml melted butter or 60ml margarine
1 tsp vanilla essence
75ml water

sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together. mix flour flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and water, beat well.
Bake in oven at 200 degrees C for 10 mins then reduce temp to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 10 mins
Cake is ready when it leaves the sides of tin and is springy to touch

Thanks so much for the egg free sponge recipe, i actually thought it smelled awful (didnt taste it) but the customer was very happy, her boyfriend can never usually eat cake!! she commissioned another for the following weekend too!
I now have a wheat free cake to do for friday (too bust so little girls mum buying a ready made cake & I am decorating it, which I dont usually do but this is an exceptional case) little girl will be 13 and has never had a decorated birthday cake because she is allergic to wheat!!

idontknow Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:07am
post #2249 of 25877
Quote:

hi, idontknow, i was not charged anymore on top icon_smile.gif

thanks livlou, i've asked the seller and he says he hasn't had any reports of customs being charged either. so i'll go ahead and buy it as well as one of those textured rolling pins, they look great!

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:27am
post #2250 of 25877

I need about 50 gold cupcake cases in a bit of a hurry, (cake for 4weeks time, but I am away for 2 and half weeks between now & then and really want to get cases sorted before I go). loads to choose from on eBay (and in my experience ebay sellers usually deliver the fastest! compared to shops) , but wondered if anyone could recommend any as dont want to get them & they are rubbish, really brassy looking or anything
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%