A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:16pm
post #2071 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_paggers

The show at the NEC looks fantastic! Can I ask do any of you go to this and would you nromally take a friend or family emmebr along? Not sure i have anyone who would enjoy it and am dubious about going it alone!

Off topic, but the eurovision cupcakes cake out pretty well...for a first go at fondant on cupcakes, i was happy icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2045126

xx

I went on my own on the Friday and Saturday and then went with my boyfriends sister, who enjoys doing cakes, on the Sunday. I was a bit anxious going on my own, as it was my first year going. I'm so glad I did now though. I was able to get there when i wanted (pretty much 1st in the queue lol) I was able to get free stuff from stands for being one of the first hundred to buy something there. I was able to go where I wanted without having to say is it okay of we...? First. When I had lunch I shared a table with some lovely old ladies and talked cakes with them lol. I could go to the stands and watch them demonstrating without being worried if who I was with was getting bored. I could leave when I wanted. I guess I just liked being able to make decisions without having to check with someone else, control freak ... Lol I'm going again this year, the NEC is only 40 minutes away from my house. I think I'm going to enter 2 competitions this year too. I've got the design sorted for one cake, but keep changing my mind for the other. So many different techniques I want to try.

Chiggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiggs Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2072 of 25877

Hi everyone!
Firstly, apologies if this comes up in the wrong place etc, have never posted on a forum before!
I bake from home as a small business in the uk (Leicestershire) and want to start doing cake pops.
I've been looking for candy melts/ chocolate wafers on the internet and see that several places stock the Wilton melts, but they seem a little expensive to me. Does anyone have a better alternative or do I just go with the Wilton melts?
Thanks! Any help appreciated! X

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2073 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggs

Hi everyone!
Firstly, apologies if this comes up in the wrong place etc, have never posted on a forum before!
I bake from home as a small business in the uk (Leicestershire) and want to start doing cake pops.
I've been looking for candy melts/ chocolate wafers on the internet and see that several places stock the Wilton melts, but they seem a little expensive to me. Does anyone have a better alternative or do I just go with the Wilton melts?
Thanks! Any help appreciated! X

HI Chiggs, welcome to the thread. icon_biggrin.gif

I know few people who have used wilton candy melts and they don't like it. I found these ones on CAke Decorating Company. But I don't know whether they are good or not. Here is the link for you,

http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=338_340

About silicone moulds, there is a company called Alphabet moulds and they have great selection. I just had a look at the sea shell mould and its great too! They had a stall at the NEC last year. You can find them on Design a cake website! icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:40pm
post #2074 of 25877

Merckens candy melts are better than Wilton. The only place is the cake decorating company as PP mentioned or ebay. You can get Wilton from hobby craft stores. The sticks you can get online or at hobby craft. I get mine from eBay or hobby craft.

HTH

Chiggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiggs Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:04pm
post #2075 of 25877

Thanks for the replies guys! I'd also heard the wiltons were not great.
Def gonna try the merckens and also the silicone molds.
Thanks for the tip!! X

klh82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh82 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2076 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggs

Thanks for the replies guys! I'd also heard the wiltons were not great.
Def gonna try the merckens and also the silicone molds.
Thanks for the tip!! X

At my local hobby craft in Bristol they had a whole section selling items needed for cake pops including candy melts.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:48pm
post #2077 of 25877

Never heard of The Cake Decorating Company before . OMG , just had a look at the website , my credit card is about to take a hit ! Thanks

bashini Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2078 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler

Never heard of The Cake Decorating Company before . OMG , just had a look at the website , my credit card is about to take a hit ! Thanks

I know what you mean!!! They don't have the first impression baby mould at the moment and I am waiting for them to have it in stock. Then I will do a very big shopping!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nikend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikend Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2079 of 25877

i shop at the cake decorating company and they are awesome. their candies are great as i have used them several times not tried wilton.customer service is great and they willing to help anytime u call.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2080 of 25877

Had a delivery of supplies today and have got the coloured regalice in the new style pack which is supposed to be a 'new recipe'

It definitly feels softer than it has been lately but from looking at the ingrediants all i can see different is the water now comes before the vegetable oil icon_confused.gif

Hopefully it will stop it being dry and crumbly thumbs_up.gif

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2081 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Had a delivery of supplies today and have got the coloured regalice in the new style pack which is supposed to be a 'new recipe'

It definitly feels softer than it has been lately but from looking at the ingrediants all i can see different is the water now comes before the vegetable oil icon_confused.gif

I use to buy 10k boxes of regalice direct from renshaw (they were local) many years ago, butonce the supermarkets started selling it (regalice but its dr oetker now isnt it?), was so much cheaper that I buy ot from there, either morrisons or tesco, so havent used actual 'renshaw' regalice for years now (probably about 10 years!!) is it a lot different?

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2082 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

Quote:

I use to buy 10k boxes of regalice direct from renshaw (they were local) many years ago, butonce the supermarkets started selling it (regalice but its dr oetker now isnt it?), was so much cheaper that I buy ot from there, either morrisons or tesco, so havent used actual 'renshaw' regalice for years now (probably about 10 years!!) is it a lot different?

i didn't know dr oetekers is the same as renshaw regalice...?? i was actually ooking at the cheapest options for icing yesterday, as i currently just buy what i need from Sugarshack (im local) at 3.70 p/kg. on cake stuff website they have it cheaper when you buy in 5 or 10kg boxes, about £3.20 p/kg, but they also offer a cheaper version of "covering paste" which they claim is just as good as regalice, but comes to only £2.20 p/kg - has anyone used this? I'd like to try it to compare to regalice but with P&P and buying the 5kg box it would be expensive just for trialling, so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it?

Davwattie Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2083 of 25877

[quote="sanmarco5 I use to buy 10k boxes of regalice direct from renshaw (they were local) many years ago, butonce the supermarkets started selling it (regalice but its dr oetker now isnt it?), was so much cheaper that I buy ot from there, either morrisons or tesco, so havent used actual 'renshaw' regalice for years now (probably about 10 years!!) is it a lot different?[/quote]

I have been buying the dr otker stuff from Home Bargains as they sometimes had it in for about 79p for the 494g box of white but normally buy regalice.

The white/ivory is fine but certain colours like blue or green had been really hard on the ends and the blue was crumbly sometimes.

I have the covapaste when I need loads cause that is alot more stretchy icon_biggrin.gif (and it smells lovely lol)

sanmarco5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2084 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

Quote:

Quote:

i didn't know dr oetekers is the same as renshaw regalice...?? i was actually ooking at the cheapest options for icing yesterday, as i currently just buy what i need from Sugarshack (im local) at 3.70 p/kg. on cake stuff website they have it cheaper when you buy in 5 or 10kg boxes, about £3.20 p/kg, but they also offer a cheaper version of "covering paste" which they claim is just as good as regalice, but comes to only £2.20 p/kg - has anyone used this? I'd like to try it to compare to regalice but with P&P and buying the 5kg box it would be expensive just for trialling, so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it?

Renshaw started selling regalice in boxes in the supermarket many years ago, as i said probably about ten, it was Renshaw branded, but after a few years changed to Dr oetker, its called Regal Ice, I hardly made any cakes for years so wasnt really up on anything, and just assumed Dr Oetket bought out Renshaw initially, but since obviously found they hadn't, but I still use it & it works for me. Might have to buy a proper packet iof regal ice one of these days see what Its like, might find out I have been missing out all these years! LOL

sanmarco5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #2085 of 25877
Quote:
Quote:

on cake stuff website they have it cheaper when you buy in 5 or 10kg boxes, about £3.20 p/kg, but they also offer a cheaper version of "covering paste" which they claim is just as good as regalice, but comes to only £2.20 p/kg - has anyone used this? I'd like to try it to compare to regalice but with P&P and buying the 5kg box it would be expensive just for trialling, so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it?

cake stuff sell a sample pack of all 3 of their sugarpastes for £1 if thats any help x

sanmarco5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #2086 of 25877

I also use to buy a brand (in box 5 k boxes) called pastello, was cheaper than regalice, softer & more pliable, smelled gorgeous! is that whats now called covapaste?

Davwattie Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2087 of 25877
Quote:

I also use to buy a brand (in box 5 k boxes) called pastello, was cheaper than regalice, softer & more pliable, smelled gorgeous! is that whats now called covapaste?

Not sure but it has a lovely vanilla smell icon_lol.gif

sanmarco5 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:12pm
post #2088 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure but it has a lovely vanilla smell icon_lol.gif

Yeah pastello was like that, tasted really lovely, and was a lot softer & more stretchy but also dried out faster if i remember rightly

LisaPeps Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:27am
post #2089 of 25877

Hi all, I need to make this style of cake http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/graduation-wedge-cake.html with the grad cap replaced with a teapot.

She says "I used melted chocolate to attach the wedge to the lower tier, and more melted chocolate on top of the wedge, then placed the middle tier in place and held it there until the chocolate firmed up. Then I drove 2 wooden dowels down through both tiers. "

Has anyone got experience, with driving dowels through the thickness of our cake boards? Does it warp the cakes? Does it actually manage to go through?

Katiedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiedoll Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:44am
post #2090 of 25877

Hi This is my first post so apologies if I'm interrupting something. I love this UK thread and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I want to find a really smooth buttercream recipe and the one everyone mentions is Sugarshack's. Does anyone know what the UK equivilents would be to Hi-Ratio Shortening, Creme Bouquet flavouring and Viva paper towel (for the smoothing process). Has anyone tried the recipe and is it as great as everyone makes out? Sorry for all the questions!

bashini Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:59am
post #2091 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiedoll

Hi This is my first post so apologies if I'm interrupting something. I love this UK thread and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I want to find a really smooth buttercream recipe and the one everyone mentions is Sugarshack's. Does anyone know what the UK equivilents would be to Hi-Ratio Shortening, Creme Bouquet flavouring and Viva paper towel (for the smoothing process). Has anyone tried the recipe and is it as great as everyone makes out? Sorry for all the questions!

HI there, I tried it ones. But I didn't like the taste. You can use Trex (vegetable fat) for Hi - Ratio shortening and use any flavouring instead of cream bouquet.

But I found this website, which sells US products and they do have Crisco. Here is the link for you to see.

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/american-shortening--oils-76-c.asp

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sanmarco5 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:48am
post #2092 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Silicone moulds - I want some silicone seashell moulds (not for anything specific, just fancies making some seashell cupcakes or something!) & was wondering if anyone has ever made their own?
I know the moulds are pretty expensive, and the silicone putty to make them with is around £20 for the smallest size, but wondered how many moulds this would make (think it is 250g), and if it's worth doing, don't want to waste £20 on it then it doesn't work!
Otherwise can anyone recommend some nice realistic seashell moulds?
Thanks

Hi there, I bought a set of seashell moulds from Hobbycraft they weren't that expensive and a good size with starfish etc included too

I've never made my own but think I would if I couldn't find what i was looking for icon_biggrin.gif

Do hobbycraft stores sell a lot for cake decorating? I am trying to talk DH into taking me to one next weekend but its like an hour & half round trip LOL, they dont have much on their site so wondered if its worth the trip?

LisaPeps Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:59am
post #2093 of 25877

They have a small section. Mainly pans and books. If you're not going for the candy melts and cake pop stuff and Wilton pans then Lakeland sells the same amount of tools and sprinkles etc and probably more.

Davwattie Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 11:03am
post #2094 of 25877
Quote:

Do hobbycraft stores sell a lot for cake decorating? I am trying to talk DH into taking me to one next weekend but its like an hour & half round trip LOL, they dont have much on their site so wondered if its worth the trip?

Mine has a few tools, tips, cutters and sell some of the coloured regalice packs but everything is so expensive I only get from there if im really desperate, the market is closed and i havent time to wait for internet deliveries.

The small packs of regalice are about £2.50 a pack when i can get it for £1.35 from sugarshack icon_eek.gif

I do get alot of ribbon from there tough they have so many to choose from.

sanmarco5 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 11:26am
post #2095 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Mine has a few tools, tips, cutters and sell some of the coloured regalice packs but everything is so expensive I only get from there if im really desperate, the market is closed and i havent time to wait for internet deliveries.

The small packs of regalice are about £2.50 a pack when i can get it for £1.35 from sugarshack icon_eek.gif

I do get alot of ribbon from there tough they have so many to choose from.

hhhmmm probably not worth the trip then, might have to try & find a nice big sugarcraft shop to visit instead, anyone know of any in the east sussex kent area that are worth a visit? I have none locally & fancy a browse round a nice shop!!

sugarshack ...are they good, i had a look but found their site quite difficult to navigate (maybe just me) postage cost seems quite good though

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:28pm
post #2096 of 25877

Hi everyone!
I've just found out about cupcake push-pops and I would love to try and make them... has anyone seen the holders stocked anywhere in the UK before? I found them earlier on Kays Cake Shop website but I was hoping I could find them somewhere else slightly cheaper!
I posted this earlier in a different thread so apologies if you've already read this, but I thought I might have more luck in here!
TIA.

Amy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy_Cakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2097 of 25877

I have purchased the saw leveler, from Ebay, that was mentioned a few pages back. I love it! It can be a bit fiddly at first but once you get the blades where you want them it's great. The blades are very sharp and it's 100 times better than the wilton leveler. I can't compare it to an agbay as I haven't used one.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2098 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Hi all, I need to make this style of cake http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/graduation-wedge-cake.html with the grad cap replaced with a teapot.

She says "I used melted chocolate to attach the wedge to the lower tier, and more melted chocolate on top of the wedge, then placed the middle tier in place and held it there until the chocolate firmed up. Then I drove 2 wooden dowels down through both tiers. "

Has anyone got experience, with driving dowels through the thickness of our cake boards? Does it warp the cakes? Does it actually manage to go through?

I would be inclined to use RI as it sets like cement and dowel like in regular stacking. I probably would set up on site though I wouldn't want to risk transporting it in one piece. The boards we have are really quite thick so unless you can get something similar to what is stated online I don't know if you would be able to get the dowel through those boards.

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2099 of 25877
Quote:

sugarshack ...are they good, i had a look but found their site quite difficult to navigate (maybe just me) postage cost seems quite good though

yes their website is awful to use...but i can say their store is great as in has everything you need and more. they've recently extended it and you can spend a lot of time and money in there...one tip though, if you do have anything specific in mind, try and find it on their website and see wat price they have it listed for and quote that to them if you find it more expensive in store, as they will probably offer you the net price.

im lucky im 5 mins drive from them thumbs_up.gif

Katiedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiedoll Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2100 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiedoll

HI there, I tried it ones. But I didn't like the taste. You can use Trex (vegetable fat) for Hi - Ratio shortening and use any flavouring instead of cream bouquet.

But I found this website, which sells US products and they do have Crisco. Here is the link for you to see.

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/american-shortening--oils-76-c.asp

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the info Bashini. I think I'll look for a different recipe because I'm not convinced about using shortening rather than butter. Does anyone have an alternative to Sugarshack's recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%