A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:43am
post #2041 of 25877

Silicone moulds - I want some silicone seashell moulds (not for anything specific, just fancies making some seashell cupcakes or something!) & was wondering if anyone has ever made their own?
I know the moulds are pretty expensive, and the silicone putty to make them with is around £20 for the smallest size, but wondered how many moulds this would make (think it is 250g), and if it's worth doing, don't want to waste £20 on it then it doesn't work!
Otherwise can anyone recommend some nice realistic seashell moulds?
Thanks

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:02am
post #2042 of 25877

Id also be interested in knowing if any one has made there own molds, ive looked at the stuff and found it too expensive to justify incase it didnt work!

sanmarco5 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:04am
post #2043 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Id also be interested in knowing if any one has made there own molds, ive looked at the stuff and found it too expensive to justify incase it didnt work!

I have loads of pretty sea shells I have collected 'just in case' and been trying to think of other bits & pieces to mould but can't think of anything else, I like the little baby bits & pieces moulds (feet, rattle, blocks etc) but obviously couldnt make them!

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:05am
post #2044 of 25877

i would love to make my own moulds, just haven't had the time to try it!

in th e meantime you can find lots of silicone moulds on ebay that aren't too expensive, seashell mould here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICONE-SEA-SHELL-STARFISH-MOULD-Sugarcraft-PMC-/260800343526?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item3cb8e96de6

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:15am
post #2046 of 25877

You should be looking to charge at least £250 with all the extras such as sourcing the pillars and making the flowers

sanmarco5 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:23am
post #2047 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

You should be looking to charge at least £250 with all the extras such as sourcing the pillars and making the flowers

I think maybe £200, there is a 'cake lady' in town who charges from £210 for this size, but another about 4 miles away that advertsies that most of their 3 tier wedding cakes are under £200! so cant really charge more than the competition!!

idontknow Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:28am
post #2048 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow

in th e meantime you can find lots of silicone moulds on ebay that aren't too expensive, seashell mould here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICONE-SEA-SHELL-STARFISH-MOULD--PMC-/260800343526?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item3cb8e96de6

I am a bit torn between these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diamond-Paste-SEA-SHELL-MOULD-sm-Cake-jewellery-making-/290575387650?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item43a7a48c02#ht_3041wt_905

or these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silicone-mould-Starfish-Shells--Food-Use-/370480178522?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item564256e55a#ht_696wt_905

that first one looks quite good, although pricey. i would say if it is a theme you plan to use in a future cake go for it, abut remeber to include a percentage of the cost in the price of the cake!

sanmarco5 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:31am
post #2049 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in th e meantime you can find lots of silicone moulds on ebay that aren't too expensive, seashell mould here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICONE-SEA-SHELL-STARFISH-MOULD--PMC-/260800343526?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item3cb8e96de6

I am a bit torn between these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diamond-Paste-SEA-SHELL-MOULD-sm-Cake-jewellery-making-/290575387650?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item43a7a48c02#ht_3041wt_905

or these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silicone-mould-Starfish-Shells--Food-Use-/370480178522?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item564256e55a#ht_696wt_905

that first one looks quite good, although pricey. i would say if it is a theme you plan to use in a future cake go for it, abut remeber to include a percentage of the cost in the price of the cake!

I like the first looks pretty realistic, but would have preferred another different shell instead of the sea horse...fussy eh!

nicks3988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicks3988 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:41pm
post #2050 of 25877

Hey all UK bakers. Been reading through all these pages and learnt so much already as I'm just self-taught!
Quick question, I live in Scotland just outside Edinburgh and we're about 10 minutes away from Truly Scrumptious in Linlithgow which has won loads of awards and they offer courses. I was just wondering if anyone had been on one of their courses and what they thought of it? Want to improve my skills but not sure which one to go for!
Thanks.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2051 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks3988

Hey all UK bakers. Been reading through all these pages and learnt so much already as I'm just self-taught!
Quick question, I live in Scotland just outside Edinburgh and we're about 10 minutes away from Truly Scrumptious in Linlithgow which has won loads of awards and they offer courses. I was just wondering if anyone had been on one of their courses and what they thought of it? Want to improve my skills but not sure which one to go for!
Thanks.

I haven't technically been on a course, but I went to Cake International last year where he had a stand demonstrating his chocolate wrap cake. I watched him for about 10 minutes, asked a few questions and was able to reproduce his cake... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1875575/1875576

I also went to the '30 minute' demo of his at Cake International. He was showing how to do his dragon cake. Haven't tried that one yet.

Paul Bradford is a fantastic guy, very helpful and very friendly and a great teacher, I have a bit of a crush on him I think. If I lived as close as you, I'm not sure I would go to his courses though. I would drop in and beg for a job lol. The courses are expensive, too expensive for me. If I had the extra money and could afford to go on them I would definitely go on one, or more.

Are you able to go to Cake International this year?? He is doing a 30 minute tutorial on how to make the chocolate wrap cake, the tickets are £5. If I were you I would use the £500 (however much the course is) to book a hotel in Birmingham for that weekend and come to Cake International because there are so many great decorators who do the half hour shows. Here's the list of demonstrators http://www.ichf.co.uk/cake/demonstrations.php

Also he is releasing DVDs for sale soon. He's launching them at the show.

I guess it depends on what you want to go the classes for. Is it because you like his cakes and want to learn about those? Because you can do that when he releases his DVDs without the £500 price tag. Or do you want it because you'll have the teacher who you can ask questions to? Also depends on how quick a learner you are really.

Either way, if you have the money definitely go for it!

nicks3988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicks3988 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2052 of 25877

Thanks for your reply!
Just had a look at Cake International and it looks phenomenal so think I might plan a trip there first before I book any courses!
Thanks again!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2053 of 25877
Quote:

Silicone moulds - I want some silicone seashell moulds (not for anything specific, just fancies making some seashell cupcakes or something!) & was wondering if anyone has ever made their own?
I know the moulds are pretty expensive, and the silicone putty to make them with is around £20 for the smallest size, but wondered how many moulds this would make (think it is 250g), and if it's worth doing, don't want to waste £20 on it then it doesn't work!
Thanks

Funny enough I have made my own moulds from real seashells to use on the dolphin cake I recently did(the smaller ones on pics, big chunky ones were choc mould ones). I also made some moulds of my sons thomas trains for a cake.

I used the food/skin grade silicone putty I had off ebay and it's so easy to use and works really well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIY-SILICONE-RUBBER-PUTTY-SKIN-FOOD-GRADE-200gms-/160600841567?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item25648e5d5f

Im gonna get some more to do some face moulds off my daughters disney fairies dolls faces icon_lol.gif

idontknow Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:37pm
post #2054 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Quote:

Thanks

Funny enough I have made my own moulds from real seashells to use on the dolphin cake I recently did(the smaller ones on pics, big chunky ones were choc mould ones). I also made some moulds of my sons thomas trains for a cake.

I used the food/skin grade silicone putty I had off ebay and it's so easy to use and works really well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIY-SILICONE-RUBBER-PUTTY-SKIN-FOOD-GRADE-200gms-/160600841567?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item25648e5d5f

Im gonna get some more to do some face moulds off my daughters disney fairies dolls faces icon_lol.gif

Looks great! I bought a necklace a while back purely because I loved the central stones and thought it would look good turned into a mould and put on a cake. Now I may give it a go with that stuff off ebay. Thanks!

idontknow Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2055 of 25877

Did any of you register your business name with the National Business Register? I've now registered the domains I want, but as I'm setting up as sole trader I've seen that you can register your business name with the above to protect it, although it's not a legal requirement. It costs 96 pounds though, so not sure...

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:01pm
post #2056 of 25877

@ Nicks3988 - I'd be interested to hear too, I'm in the Ayrshire area, so not a million miles away. I've heard there are some good courses in Glasgow too.

On the issue of pricing, yes, I think the wedding cake should be more expensive - but I also take the point about local competition. I heard yesterday about a company in my local area, who are doing 22 cupcakes for a birthday party for £9!! They must be making next to nothing from that, how can they do it? Makes mine look extortionate!

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2057 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks3988

Thanks.

I haven't technically been on a course, but I went to Cake International last year where he had a stand demonstrating his chocolate wrap cake. I watched him for about 10 minutes, asked a few questions and was able to reproduce his cake... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1875575/1875576

I also went to the '30 minute' demo of his at Cake International. He was showing how to do his dragon cake. Haven't tried that one yet.

Paul Bradford is a fantastic guy, very helpful and very friendly and a great teacher, I have a bit of a crush on him I think. If I lived as close as you, I'm not sure I would go to his courses though. I would drop in and beg for a job lol. The courses are expensive, too expensive for me. If I had the extra money and could afford to go on them I would definitely go on one, or more.

Are you able to go to Cake International this year?? He is doing a 30 minute tutorial on how to make the chocolate wrap cake, the tickets are £5. If I were you I would use the £500 (however much the course is) to book a hotel in Birmingham for that weekend and come to Cake International because there are so many great decorators who do the half hour shows. Here's the list of demonstrators http://www.ichf.co.uk/cake/demonstrations.php

Also he is releasing DVDs for sale soon. He's launching them at the show.

I guess it depends on what you want to go the classes for. Is it because you like his cakes and want to learn about those? Because you can do that when he releases his DVDs without the £500 price tag. Or do you want it because you'll have the teacher who you can ask questions to? Also depends on how quick a learner you are really.

Either way, if you have the money definitely go for it!

OMG, I SO want to learn to make that cake!! I've never seen anything like that near here - how gorgeous is it???

sanmarco5 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:34am
post #2058 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Quote:

Thanks

How many moulds will that make?
Thanks

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:38am
post #2059 of 25877

The show at the NEC looks fantastic! Can I ask do any of you go to this and would you nromally take a friend or family emmebr along? Not sure i have anyone who would enjoy it and am dubious about going it alone!

Off topic, but the eurovision cupcakes cake out pretty well...for a first go at fondant on cupcakes, i was happy icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2045126

xx

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:39am
post #2060 of 25877

apologies, i should have read through that before hitting submit! My spelling is just awful today!!!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:52am
post #2061 of 25877
Quote:

Thanks

Hi there, I bought a set of seashell moulds from Hobbycraft they weren't that expensive and a good size with starfish etc included too

I've never made my own but think I would if I couldn't find what i was looking for icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:55am
post #2062 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_paggers

The show at the NEC looks fantastic! Can I ask do any of you go to this and would you nromally take a friend or family emmebr along? Not sure i have anyone who would enjoy it and am dubious about going it alone!

Off topic, but the eurovision cupcakes cake out pretty well...for a first go at fondant on cupcakes, i was happy icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2045126

xx

I went last year but I went with a fellow cake maker as I didn't think anyone else would have enjoyed that too much if they weren't at least a little interested in cakes. I can't say I was that mad about it. I was expecting a little more I think. There were some great demos for modelling etc but I didn't find much inspiration - and by that I don't mean there weren't some amazing cakes but I wanted to see some new stuff/new techniques/ideas etc. I would go though to experience it and there some great deals on products icon_smile.gif

sanmarco5 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:55am
post #2063 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Thanks

Hi there, I bought a set of seashell moulds from Hobbycraft they weren't that expensive and a good size with starfish etc included too

I've never made my own but think I would if I couldn't find what i was looking for icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, had a look but can't find any on hobbycraft icon_sad.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:01am
post #2064 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

ah that's a shame I did buy them instore rather than online. They are by Gedeo icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:05am
post #2065 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I found it here: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_151140081.htm

HTH

sanmarco5 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:21am
post #2066 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

HTH

Looks good thanks. Are they silicone moulds?wondered if they would be difficult to unmould! doesnt give much info.Look nice though, I sadly dont have a local hobbycraft, might have to convince DH to take me to find one though as never been!!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:02am
post #2067 of 25877
Quote:

How many moulds will that make?
Thanks

I got 6 train faces, 2 small dolls faces and 4 shell moulds(3 had 3 small shells on)

I still have enough left to make a couple of faces, it really depends on how big the moulds your making are.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:58pm
post #2068 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

HTH

Looks good thanks. Are they silicone moulds?wondered if they would be difficult to unmould! doesnt give much info.Look nice though, I sadly dont have a local hobbycraft, might have to convince DH to take me to find one though as never been!!

This one you can buy on line so a bit easier if no hobby craft near you. They are slightly stiffer than silicone but I found dusting the inside with corn flour first made them come out fine icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:58pm
post #2069 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

HTH

This one you can buy on line so a bit easier if no hobby craft near you. They are slightly stiffer than silicone but I found dusting the inside with corn flour first made them come out fine icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm
post #2070 of 25877

Has anyone ever used the cocoa butter for painting on cakes at all? How did you find it if you did and did you use the dust colours rather than pastes? where did you get the cocoa butter from? Thanks if you have any info or experience of it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%