A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 23 Nov 2016 , 12:15am by nazya_bakes

solascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:44am
post #121 of 25876

Woow i feel so left out on this thread,dont know how i missed it.I'm from Essex,I too have the problem of people wanting to pay asda prices for my hard work.I just always remind them that costco is still in business i.e nice large slab for £10 that taste like crap.

fairycakes1972 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:51am
post #122 of 25876

We need some sort of campaign to get people to understand that we charge fair prices for our cakes, and they cost so much because they are individually created works of art!!! We're not helped by articles in the press about £30 wedding cakes!!!

Solacakes, whereabouts in Essex are you?

solascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:54am
post #123 of 25876
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairycakes1972

We need some sort of campaign to get people to understand that we charge fair prices for our cakes, and they cost so much because they are individually created works of art!!! We're not helped by articles in the press about £30 wedding cakes!!!

Solacakes, whereabouts in Essex are you?

Exactly,but with articles like that just ask them to go there,I'm in Basildon

MissE Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:21am
post #124 of 25876

Yep ... really hard to make people understand that bespoke cakes are not off the shelf rubbish. I use good quality ingredients including free range/organic eggs depending on what I get on the day of purchase. I've had someone send me pictures of 5 different wedding cakes to price and when I did I got no response back and the most expensive price I gave her was £450 for a very intricate design. Not even a response saying thank you for your time. I normally get ... we'll go for an M & S cake then. I'm like "sure have fun at your party!!!"

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:23am
post #125 of 25876

Hi all, olsjhs, your cuppies and the Mickie Mouse cake is fantastic! thumbs_up.gif As I'm making cakes as a business, I include the prices of the boards and the boxes to the price. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them in bulk? YOu can buy them from ebay as well. There is a seller " Confectioner's Paradise", and his prices are quite reasonable.

Sabz, if you are good at drawing, draw a tiara for the size you want and go over it by using a claygun and modleing paste. Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

eilidh, I'm a member of the British Sugarcraft Giuld and its £22 for the whole year. But I haven't been to any of their meetings yet. You can be a member of the message board for free. I know loads of UK members here are members. icon_smile.gif

The Asda story is so ture! That happened to me once as well. A customer wanted a round cake with George from Pepper Pig on it. I thought I would do a buttercream transfer. So I quoted her £45. Few days later she called and said she saw one in Asda for £7! icon_eek.gif
When things like this happens I always think that its not my loss, its their loss! icon_smile.gif

bengals Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:19am
post #126 of 25876

Hi all i can't believe its taken us uk'ers so long to have our very own thread i am delighted and will be keeping an eye on this post.

no more google for me on the american ingredients and some great recipes to try

Thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

eilidh Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:54am
post #127 of 25876

Bashni, you really should go to one of their meetings the one I went to was fab and I learnt loads! And such a bonus to see Debbie Brown working and ask questions etc for only £5!! Plus the home made cake at the one I went to was delicious!

The whole Asda cake thing I think is just different people, there is a type who like wow bespoke cakes and those that want a cheap party and that includes a tiny thin tasteless Asda cake! They really are none of our market as they will truely never see why a kids birthday cake should cost any more than £10-£15.

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:18am
post #128 of 25876

You are absolutely right, eilidh. thumbs_up.gif

Sometimes I go to Alan Dunn's classes and those days they had it on monday evenings. I think they have changed the day to Saturday. Must find out about it! icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #129 of 25876

olsjhs your Mickey cake is fantastic thumbs_up.gif As for colouring I colour all mine myself as pre-coloured doesn't always have the shade I need plus there's the extra cost thing & it's usually Regalice. Covapaste doesn't colour any easier than any other sugarpaste, I've found it depends on what you're colouring with. If you use liquid colours they tend not to give as deep a colour as paste colouring.

Does anyone know where you can get natural food colouring in paste form? I don't like using artificial colouring & would love to be able not to. I noticed the other day that Asda have started stocking natural food colouring but it's liquid. Has anyone tried it is it any good?

As for M&S cakes for weddings, as part of the college course I took, we 'disected' one & you'd be amazed by how little cake there is in them. There's about 2" of marzipan & sugarpaste, so you end up with a 1" deep fruit cake which looked 10" but ends up about 7" or 8". But it's like you say if that's all you've ever been used to then you think all cake is like that.

The BSG does have some great demonstrations with some great people. I'd love to go but they moved the one by me to an in the middle of nowhere hall & as I don't drive I can't go. My friend used to be an independant memeber (where you don't join a particular branch) & she used to get quite cheap insurance, for her cakes, but I don't know if they still do that.

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #130 of 25876

I use to buy Regalice, but the paste is too soft for me now. So I buy Covapaste and I colour it myself. I use Sugarflairs paste colours, but don't know where you can buy natural food colouring.

icon_smile.gif

sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #131 of 25876

Hello and wow what a great thread (can't believe i have only just spotted it) oh well better late than never.
I make my cakes as a hobby at the moment and just make them for family and friends. I charge them £20.00 to cover the cost of ingredients, although i have told them all that as my experience grows so will my prices. I am lucky really to have such good friends who think i sell my cakes too cheaply to them and they always give me a little bit extra. I would love to do this for a living once i have got about another good years experience under my belt. I think i will proberly need to move house aswell as already i can't move for cake decorating stuff, it is taking over my kitchen. Haha. Ah and i will also need to work on my confidence as i am always doubting myself and some days wondering if i am doing the right thing, then once the cake is finished and the stress has died down i start planning the next one lol.
I too am a Yorkshire lass and live near Dewsbury ( not far from Wakefield).
Once again brilliant thread.

newsums Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #132 of 25876

sasporella I know exactly what you mean about self-doubt, everytime I hand over a cake I feel sick to my stomach - lol

I looked at your pics and you have no reason to doubt yourself, your cakes are beautiful.

sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #133 of 25876

newsums you have hit the nail on the head, that is exactly how i feel lol
I am glad i am not on my own feeling that way. Sometimes i wonder if i should charge at all and have to talk myself out of not charging. Usually though as i am sure you find aswell the people receiving the cake are very happy. It is as if they do not see the cake as we see it (if that makes sense) haha.

Sabz Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #134 of 25876

When you posted earlier sasporella, I looked at your pics and was amazed..your creations are gorgeous and you definitely don't have any reason to have self-doubt. I, on the other hand, am no good and I still don't stop! icon_razz.gif

MissBaritone Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #135 of 25876

I think we're all our own worse critics. I spot every little flaw on my cakes but I've never had a customer spot one of them yet.

I use Asda's own make (not smartprice) sugarpaste. It handles nicely, takes the colour well and is cheaper than most other sugarpaste. Avoid Tescos own make though. That tears really easily

bashini Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #136 of 25876

I have to agree with everybody else, sasporella! Your cakes are fantastic! I really understand how you feel. Sometimes I feel like that too! icon_smile.gif

eilidh Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #137 of 25876

Sabz your cakes look great! I wish I could do even anything with buttercream beyong cupcakes. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!! thumbs_up.gif

olsjhs Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #138 of 25876

Thanks for the comments on my mickey mouse cake......I told everyone about the crack, everyone said they wouldnt of really taken any notice if I hadnt pointed it out, I have a problem accepting that my work is any good thouigh so I tend to point out all the flaws of stuff before anyone else notices....guess I need to stop doing that, maybe once Im a bit more confident in my work thumbs_up.gif

Im going to buy coloured icing in future, sooo much easier, I HATE colouring my own, unless its the tiniest amount! Its more expensive to buy coloured though but suppose the little extra it is saves on hours of kneeding icon_biggrin.gif . I have a cake to do for a firends little girls first birthday though in 2 weeks, I think I will try the Covapaste for it, do you all buy it online for cheaper prices? (P.s Does anyone have any tips on how to cover a number 1, I found it so hard when I did the number 2 getting the icing in to the "bends" as it all started cracking!

I so Agree about the asda cakes as well. Everyone says my cakes are just gorgeous and what secret recepie do I use, how did I learn to bake like that etc etc they also RAVED about how good my cupcakes were but I like most of you use simple victoria sponge or a maderia recepie if i'm making one to scupt but I think its because they are so used to the rubbish dry tasteless mass produced Asda/Tesco etc ones!!

Oh and I think EVERYONE in this threads cakes are awsome, every single one of you, so can you all please give yoursleves a pat on the back as you are all brilliant in my eyes!

saracupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:47am
post #139 of 25876
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsjhs

Thanks for the comments on my mickey mouse cake......I told everyone about the crack, everyone said they wouldnt of really taken any notice if I hadnt pointed it out, I have a problem accepting that my work is any good thouigh so I tend to point out all the flaws of stuff before anyone else notices....guess I need to stop doing that, maybe once Im a bit more confident in my work thumbs_up.gif

Im going to buy coloured icing in future, sooo much easier, I HATE colouring my own, unless its the tiniest amount! Its more expensive to buy coloured though but suppose the little extra it is saves on hours of kneeding icon_biggrin.gif . I have a cake to do for a firends little girls first birthday though in 2 weeks, I think I will try the Covapaste for it, do you all buy it online for cheaper prices? (P.s Does anyone have any tips on how to cover a number 1, I found it so hard when I did the number 2 getting the icing in to the "bends" as it all started cracking!

I need to stop pointing out my flaws too! We probably all do it!

Covapaste is my favourite too, I'm lucky I can buy it in bulk from a shop close to my parents house so when I visit I stock up, Sugarshack sell it and if you spend over £40 with them (not hard!) then postage is free.

olsjhs I quite often buy small packs of the darker colours and mix them with white to make pastel colours, for example a small amount of the regalice bottle green mixed with white gives a really pretty pale green, you still have to knead a bit but much much less than if you added paste colour, so it works out cheaper than buying packs and packs of ready coloured.

I also just had to share this shop that I found yesterday, I haven't ordered from them yet, I'll do it later on today but their stuff looks amazing - has anyone used them?

http://www.littlecupcakeboxes.co.uk/index.htm

Sara

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:50am
post #140 of 25876

Olsjhs, I buy my Cova paste from my local cake decorating shop. They have 5kg fro £13.50. I just checked Almond Art and they sell it for £14.80 and you also can buy 2.5kg for £7.85. Here is the link,

http://www.almondart.com/acatalog/White_and_Ivory.html

And I also checked Sugarshack and they sell the 5kg for £15.

I have done two No1 cakes and its in my photos. I rolled a big piece of sugarpaste and cover the whole cake and then tucked into the "bends". The other thing you can do is, measure around the cake, roll some sugarpaste and cut a strip to the mearsurements you took and cover around the cake first. Then roll another piece of sugarpaste and cover the top and cut the excess off with a sharp knife. To cover the seam, you can use a crimper or claygun to make a rope and go over the seam. Hope this makes sence!!!! icon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:07am
post #141 of 25876

sasporella don't know what confidence you are talking about,your cakes are amazing,if you don't have the confidence now you will never have,i think you need to go back and check your gallery and compare to others.You have done cakes i haven't dared to do out of fear.I think you are great and don't need more bl$$$dy experience,charge what they are worth girl,you are good. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

solascakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:18am
post #142 of 25876

newsums you also deserve to be slapped back to reality like sasporella, what exactly are you feeling sick to your stomach for.I always feel empty and like crying when a cake leaves my house,i'm like "NOOOOO DON'T GOOOO",come back to mummy. I don't even know where to start with your cakes,is it the Ben 10 or spiderman or that R2 robot thingy that looks alive and ready to take over the world.Well i know if i had the talent you girls have i'll be sooo happy.Your work is great.

Sabz Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:41am
post #143 of 25876

bashini, I'm absolutely hopeless drawing! I don't have a claygun, but I downsized the template and made about 8 tiaras to fit cupcakes. But needless to say, I broke them all! I gave it another go and this time done 2 on clingfilm (read somewhere 'saranwrap' is better when working with tiaras). I'm gonna leave those for the whole day and see how they turn out tomorrow. Don't think I'll be doing them for that event, but just for trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilidh

Sabz your cakes look great! I wish I could do even anything with buttercream beyong cupcakes. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!! thumbs_up.gif

eilidh, you're too kind! But I do aspire to be like the rest of you some day!

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:53am
post #144 of 25876

Sabz, did you make them with Royal Icing? Have you tried using flower paste? I found this step-bystep on Sharon's (Sugarshack) blog. Just another idea! icon_smile.gif

Edited to add the link for the step-by-step!

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

Sorry about that ladies. icon_redface.gif

jdconcc Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:14am
post #145 of 25876

I too am a Yorkshire lass and live near Dewsbury ( not far from Wakefield).

Hi Sasporella

I'm not far from you, I'm in Bailiff Bridge near Brighouse. Your cakes are amazing and I love your name. You really should charge so much more and that's coming from the competition icon_biggrin.gif

Where do you get your supplies from? The shops round here are few and far between but I use the one in Heckmondwike mainly.

Claire

sasporella Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:28am
post #146 of 25876

Thankyou for the lovely comments, you all have certainly given me a much needed confidence boost. I have looked at all of your cakes and you are all very talented people and your cakes are fantastic thumbs_up.gif

I have just changed from supermarkets own brand icing to ready coloured regalice. It is more expensive but it seems to go on the cake a lot easier and also smooths out easier too. I was having issues with the other icing seeming to be quite dry, especially if i was colouring it green (for some reason green seems to dry the icing out more than other colours) i don't know if anyone else has noticed that.

Someone mentioned on an earlier post about larger wedding cake boxes for tiered cakes, well at my local cake decorating shop they sell cake box extenders in different sizes. These basically fit inside a cake box to extend the height of the original box so you can fit a tiered cake or a cake with a figure on top inside it. I have just measured the cake box extender and it is 14" high. So if you can't find taller boxes maybe something like this could be an option for you.

sasporella Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:36am
post #147 of 25876

Thanks JustDarling and hello. I also get my supplies from Heckmondwike as it is the nearest one to me. I think there may be a supply shop in osset somewhere but i have never been so i'm not sure where it is. Apart from heckmondwike i sometimes shop on the internet but once postage is added on it can be expensive, i usually check out ebay to see if i can bag myself a bargain (for books,new cutters and moulds any way).

newsums Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #148 of 25876

solascakes thanks for the kick up the behind or should that be the slap back to reality - lol
I think it comes from being self taught, still can't believe that people want me to make cakes for them.

I'm just like you when saying good bye to cakes, almost cried the first few times, how sad is that - lol x

eilidh Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #149 of 25876

Hello,

Was hoping some of you could help me. I have been asked with a week's notice to do a Zippy (from rainbow) cake for a 40th birthday cake, there is only one on CC and not sure if it "enough" Zippy for the person ie it is just one little figure....any ideas much appreciated...I will be doing it in fondant.

Eilidh

sasporella Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #150 of 25876

Hi, i don't know if it would work or not but could you do a cake like the elmo cakes on here but just change the face to be zippy. I think they may be near enough the same shape. Other than that i don't know but maybe someone else will know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%