A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 24 Apr 2016 , 6:47pm by -K8memphis

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 10:18am
post #3361 of 25872

AI love your pigs in mud cake sugarluva, I've got one to do in April, how hard was it and would I be able to use anything else for the mud (like buttercream!). It's for my sister's 40th, she loves buttercream . I'm frightened of ganache, can't melt chocolate or even the cheap, chocolate baking blocks without it burning. Another problem is the pig cake is only going to be the cake I take to her on her birthday morning so she doesn't suspect somethings going on, I have a more elaborate cake to do for her surprise meal. First time I've ever done two cakes for the same day so don't want anything to go wrong!

bashini Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 10:31am
post #3362 of 25872

AYou can get the tool she uses from Wilko. Have a go. You'll love it. :D

sugarluva Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 11:30am
post #3363 of 25872

Thanks bashini.

Maisie73 - this cake is really simple I've made it a few times. Once you have done it people see it and love it and you will get many requests to make more of them haha. I use buttercream between the layers and on the sides of the cake to stick the kitkats on and then just a thin layer of ganache on the top but you could probably just use buttercream too it might just not be quite as dark as the ganache (and I'm rubbish at getting buttercream really smooth). I use the ganache whilst it was still runny so it made a really smooth layer, and I then I just marked in the details. It would definitely work with buttercream too though. You can make the pigs way in advance and the assembly of the cake doesn't take long so you will be fine! If I can do it anyone can haha

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 11:45am
post #3364 of 25872

AI'm not great at getting buttercream really smooth either but I figured I wouldn't need to for this cake, my pigs are going to be lively and messy! I'm not too worried about sticking the kitkats on either, I stuck long, tube wafers on a cake the other day and was really pleased with the way it turned out, well, there were a few things I wasn't happy with (there always is!), but overall I was happy. How did you get your photo on here? I'd like to put a cake here to see what people think, my lot are useless, every cake I make is a masterpiece to them!

bashini Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:19pm
post #3365 of 25872

You are welcome! :D

HI maisie, if you click on your name on the right hand top corner, it should take you to your profile. And there is a section called " Your Photos" and there is another button with "upload.". That should work... :)

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:42pm
post #3366 of 25872

AThanks Bashini, on the Iphone a mo, will try that later. :-)

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:01pm
post #3367 of 25872

AJust tried that but not getting anywhere, it's taking me to photo's in my computer. That's what I did last night to get them from my computer to my CC profile. I'd like to put a photo on this thread like Sugarluva did with the pigs in mud cake. Apologies for being a bit thick, not the most computer literate person in the world!

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:08pm
post #3368 of 25872

Yay! I'm a technological genius!:D

This is my 2nd two tier cake, for my grandson last Thursday, probably the 14th cake I've decorated. bottom tier is 9 inch, top 6 inch, both sponge with jam and buttercream. also the first time I've made fondant figures. Honest opinions anyone? Like I said, my family think every cake I make is wonderful!

nannycook Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:16pm
post #3369 of 25872

AMaisie, you could use choc buttercream I guess, with mine( I made one with pigs and another with ducks) and I used 46 Kitts to go around the two 9 inch cakes.love your 2 tier cake too.

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:20pm
post #3370 of 25872

AI think I will try it with buttercream, my sister loves it. Thankyou, I was pleased with it overall but I really need to practice the animals and a few of the wafers(front left) just wouldn't lay straight. Still, the baby loved it!

bashini Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:55pm
post #3371 of 25872

Sorry maisie, thought you wanted to add the photos to the gallery from your pc. Sorry about that!!!!:oops: I love your two tier cake. You've done a fab job!!;-D Check out on YouTube for fondant animals. You can find loads of them there.

And if you want to try flowers, here are some great tutorials.:D

http://cakecentral.com/t/654803/tons-of-free-flower-tutorials-check-it-out

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 2:08pm
post #3372 of 25872

AThanks Bashini. Believe it or not I did watch some youtube videos to learn how to make fondant animals! I'm just not artistic, doesn't come easy to me, I really have to work at it. My first elephant was awful, I stuck the trunk on his face after I'd made him! I'd love to try flowers, I just use a little plain cutter but I've got more detailed cutters and a flower nail, just haven't got round to using them yet. Will have a look at the tutorial later. :-)

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 2:09pm
post #3373 of 25872

AWow, that's a lot of tutorials! Thankyou. :-)

bashini Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 3:03pm
post #3374 of 25872

No problem!! Don't say that you are not artistic maisie. If you weren't you cannot do what you are doing with cakes. :D When you are making an elephant, make the trunk and the head together. I always go on google and you can find lots of tutorials. Especially on Pinterest. Here's what I found

http://www.pinterest.com/4nyteacher/fondant-animals-tutorials/

Yes, there are lots of flower tutorials. They do come in handy!!! :D 

sugarluva Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 3:31pm
post #3375 of 25872

AMassive that looks great, I love the elephant. I made an animal cake for a bon voyage party last year but I got my scale slightly out and made the animals a bit big (that's what happens when you try to be organised and make the animals in advance). Here is a pic of it but I really like yours so much better! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3200056/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Sorry will stop sharing pics now - everyone I know is so bored of my talking my cake by boyfriend just about shuts off at the mention of the word fondant haha

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 3:59pm
post #3376 of 25872

AThanks Bashini, the elephant on the cake is my 2nd attempt with the trunk and head all in one piece, I didn't even take a photo of the first one, it really was shocking! I love Pinterest, I've got the app, I'm on there all the time! Sugarluva- I love your animals, I made mine ahead of time too, had a monkey that was bigger than my elephant so I couldn't use it and thought my elephant was a bit big really. Wasn't going to use it but my husband said in real life elephants are bigger than lions! He's pretty patient when I go on (and on and on!) about cakes but even his eyes glaze over sometimes! That's why I love coming here, no-one gets tired of cake. Keep the pictures coming, I love to see everyones creations.

bashini Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:08pm
post #3377 of 25872

ASugarluva, your cake is so cute!!:D

I don't make models with fondant alone. I find it too soft and it doesn't hold the shape properly. So I use flower paste or 50/50 mix of flower paste and fondant. I also don't use home made modelling paste as it cracks quite quickly. So I buy squires kitchen modelling paste to make people. :)

maisie73 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:15pm
post #3378 of 25872

Sugarluva, I love your lion, I was disappointed with mine but I think I know what I need to do next time.

sugarluva Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 4:27pm
post #3379 of 25872

AI copied most of the designs from a little book I have about making fondant animals. No idea who it's by or where I got it from, think my Mum might have bought it for me a while back, but it's been quite useful. I made them all from tesco fondant (which I've not had a problem with for modelling) with a bit of CMC added - except the monkeys which are from a pre coloured fondant because I couldn't for the life of me mix a nice brown!

nannycook Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 5:43pm
post #3380 of 25872

ASugarluva, I have that book, its a thin book Francis Naughty I think the author is, thats fab cake.

sugarluva Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 12:42am
post #3381 of 25872

AYes nannycook that's the one. It's been quiet useful so far :)

sugarluva Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:00am
post #3382 of 25872

ACan I just ask a quick question, I'm hoping to try and decorate a cake today just as test for the ganache/other fondant, or at least go and buy the ingredients today if I don't get chance to make it. If I'm making a white chocolate ganache 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate would, for example, 300ml of cream equal 900g of chocolate or do mls and gs not work like that? Also, is there a way of working out roughly how much I will need? Having not used it before I have no idea. I'm hoping to just experiment with either a 7inch round or 9inch round today. And lastly, is it double cream we use over here?

Thank you! Really hoping I get time to give this a go today.

nannycook Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:35am
post #3383 of 25872

AHi sugarluva, yes its double cream over her, I have a recipe here for white ganache which should be more then enough for your needs, its 400MLS of double cream to 400gems of white chocolate, hope that help, what time is tea?

nannycook Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:36am
post #3384 of 25872

AGrams.

sugarluva Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:46am
post #3385 of 25872

AThanks nannycook. So if it says 400ml cream and 400g of Choc is that using the 1 part cream to 3 parts white Choc method or is this recipe different?

nannycook Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:48am
post #3386 of 25872

AWell all I know its usually the same for each and I just googled it for you, but I guess some people use use different measurements.

bashini Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 9:59am
post #3387 of 25872

ASugarluva, if you use 1:1 ratio you will get a runny consistency. It's good for pouring ove the cake. If you want to get a thicker consistency, 1:3 ratio is correct. I think 300ml to 900g white choc will be enough if you don't using it for filling as well. I have this chart from Paul Bradford, for a 9" round and he uses 241ml double cream to 723 white choc. This is including for the filling. So I think your measurement would be enough for 9" round. :D

sugarluva Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 10:00am
post #3388 of 25872

AAh right ok thank you. I'll give it a go anyway and see how it turns out...

sugarluva Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 10:02am
post #3389 of 25872

AOk thanks bashini. I'll make it today (and bake the cakes today) and leave it to set up until tomorrow (I think that's right isn't it?) and fingers crossed this will work haha.

maisie73 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 10:04am
post #3390 of 25872

AMmm, can I come to tea as well? :-) I made some fondant pigs last night, I was really pleased with them, might do a test pigs in mud cake next week, thanks sugarluva.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%