A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #571 of 25877

I haven't done many wedding cakes, but I second Relzniks' opinion. Its either they place the whole cake order with you or not at all. I mean, how would you put out your name over that; if people just generally know you were in charge of the wedding cake, what if they judge you on taste? And considering the deco won't be yours either, that might not make the cake look like what you expect it to.
Hope you can sort that order out without too much hassle.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:50am
post #572 of 25877

Hi, I'm going with Suzanne and Sabz on this one! icon_smile.gif

slush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slush Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #573 of 25877

hi everyone,
was wondering - is anyone going to the NEC show in Birmingham this year?
I've never been before but I really want to go and was wondering how it works?
Do they have loads of stalls with stuff for sale or is it just people displaying what they can do. Do you need to get a ticket to get in and can you find parking there?
any info would be gr8
Ta!

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:22am
post #574 of 25877

Hi slush. I was soo looking forward to that show but I'm going abroad on the 6th and the show is on the 7th and 8th of November! Not fair!
There'll be live demonstrations and international experts will be coming in as well. Tickets for a day would be £7.50 per adult if you book atleast 1 week in advance. Here's the site for details;
http://www.ichf.co.uk/cake/#dates

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:24am
post #575 of 25877

Hi

Yep, I'll be there. icon_biggrin.gif

There's loads to see and to buy! You can buy tickets on the door, or in advance.

bashini Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:46am
post #576 of 25877

Hi, I will be going too! Can't wait!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:21am
post #577 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by slush

hi everyone,
was wondering - is anyone going to the NEC show in Birmingham this year?
I've never been before but I really want to go and was wondering how it works?
Do they have loads of stalls with stuff for sale or is it just people displaying what they can do. Do you need to get a ticket to get in and can you find parking there?
any info would be gr8
Ta!

Hello!

I went last year. It was my first time to the NEC. OMG, that place was like an international airport. You arrive, the direct you to parking lot Z, you walk to a bus stop, they pick you up and take you to the "terminal" you get out and look for the cake venue. They take your ticket and stamp your hand. The tables are crammed with people swarming all over the products. It is hard to get in and see. DEFINITELY go with a list of must haves. You will be overwhelmed and it's easy to forget. DO bring a bag or rolling bag with you to cart your stuff, if your list is long. icon_rolleyes.gif Ask me how I know. LOL. Then, be prepared to elbow your way in. They do offer classes, but you must book in advance. I drove over 2 hours to get there and got stuck in about an hour's worth of traffic. So go early! You may bring drinks or food with you if you want to save money for stuff.

They did have the nice turntables for 20 pounds and some fondant for 1 pound each bag. Those were the great buys. Everything else seemed to be the same price as what I have seen on the web or in stores. The cakes on display & competition cakes were beautiful and it was inspiring to see. See my gallery for photos.

Was it worth going for me? I'm not too sure. I'm still hesitant about going. It was a lot of $ for gas. I remember when I left that I was not happy about the experience. But, now I am tempted to go again. I think I may skip it, but go to Cottenham instead. Still undecided!

Anyone else have an opinion? I am so tempted! It was nice going with a friend and I did value that time, but I think the crowds turned me off big time. Maybe they were cake convention experts and I was the newbie, I don't know. LOL. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

slush Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:41am
post #578 of 25877

Hi
thanks for the link sabz, I checked it out - it looks like it will be tons of fun even though I'll probably be overwhelmed by it all. I definately want to go though!
Thanks for the parking info skis, I suppose I'll have to just go with the flow!!
Am really excited about it so I hope I won't be dissapointed.
I've not found out about anything else like it in the uk.
Does anyone know of any other shows?
It seems that in the US there is always another one happening!

Cake4ever Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:57am
post #579 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by slush

Hi
thanks for the link sabz, I checked it out - it looks like it will be tons of fun even though I'll probably be overwhelmed by it all. I definately want to go though!
Thanks for the parking info skis, I suppose I'll have to just go with the flow!!
Am really excited about it so I hope I won't be dissapointed.
I've not found out about anything else like it in the uk.
Does anyone know of any other shows?
It seems that in the US there is always another one happening!

They do have local shows. I know they have sugarcraft clubs in each county around here that compete against each other in the local shows, at least in East Anglia where I am. Have fun and let us know how you like it when you go!

delouise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delouise Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:55am
post #580 of 25877

Hi everyone! I found this site a few days ago and I've been on it ever since! There is so much great stuff on here, i'm losing track of all the recipes i want to try! I'm from the UK (midlands) and been making cakes for a few years, mainly kids party ones but i'm getting more requests from friends and family for different things lately.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and I look forward to swapping tips with you all! icon_smile.gif

slush Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:20am
post #581 of 25877

Hi delouise!
welcome to cc!
beware - it really is addictive!!! but absolutely fabulous! there is nothing to learn about cakes that you can't find on here!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:45am
post #582 of 25877

Hi I'mbooked to go and will be going on the saturday, I'm so excited! Bit worried about the crowds now I've seen Ski's comments but hopefully we'll still get to see some stuff. We should have some sort of badges or something incase we bump into one another icon_lol.gif

delouise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delouise Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #583 of 25877

Thanks for the welcome! I'm addicted already! Keep popping back to have a nosy!
I'll be watching to see how you get on at the NEC! Would love to go but i'll end up spending too much money and we're saving for our wedding. I'll have to go next year instead!! xx

slush Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #584 of 25877

cute idea justdarling!
am going on sunday though!!
am also bit nervous about the crowds, my aunt went to a 4 day quilt makers show and she told me there was over 30,000 people in the 4 days!!!
last year the cake show had over 8000 in 2 days so I'm hoping that they are just really organised and experienced at coping with the crowds!

Cake4ever Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #585 of 25877

Well, how did you like the NEC ladies?

Not saying I told you so, but... icon_cool.gif

I hope you got some good toys though! Please do tell us what you bought! icon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #586 of 25877

Hi All, been on the site a little while but only just found this thread so thought I'd say hello to all the other Brits. I'm in Northants, and see that there are a few here that aren't far away from me.

bashini Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #587 of 25877

Welcome to the thread janeoxo! icon_smile.gif

I went to the exhibition and it was sooooo crowded!! I think more than last year!!!!! I bought some cutters from Lindy Smith and bought the Jem alphebet cutter set, which I wanted to buy from a long time. I checked online few times and it was more than £20!!!!!!!! But I was able to save few pounds. I also bought some white sugarpaste from Sweet Success, which I used yesterday. I had to colour it and the texture went all funny. But to use as it is, I think its nice!!

And I have to say that there quite a lot of amazing work. Sooo loved it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

slush Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 10:18pm
post #588 of 25877

I went on sun! was fun!!
I think because ski's had warned us about the parking and the crowding I was mentally prepared and didn't find it too bad (thanks ski's! would have been very overwhelmed otherwise!)
Had a gr8 time - there were some fantastic displays.
Did you see the geletine flower/butterfly/bow maker people from the U.S. - I had tried to get some of thier stuff on line a few weeks ago but couldn't get it to work. Didn't buy anything from them because they were selling everything in packs for £20 each and on line you can buy it all seperately so thought it was a bit unfair and will try again on line at somepoint.
met Pat Ashby - got her book on 5 petal cutter. - looks good but haven't tried it out yet. she had a fantastic peacock cake on display made using her lace flower and leaf cutters.
Also got a large sort of lace leaf cutter - metal from someone else but can't remember who. can't wait to use it, looks quite impressive!

jdconcc Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #589 of 25877

I ended up going sunday too and had a great time. It was croweded but again as forwarned wasn't too bad. Wish I could have spent more though, I'm going to start saving for next year now. (just incase you don't know who I am I was Just Darling but changed it as it's the same as my business name and didn't want people googling it to see me on here venting!) x

Cake4ever Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:03am
post #590 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieshousewife

I ended up going sunday too and had a great time. It was croweded but again as forwarned wasn't too bad. Wish I could have spent more though, I'm going to start saving for next year now. (just incase you don't know who I am I was Just Darling but changed it as it's the same as my business name and didn't want people googling it to see me on here venting!) x

Glad to hear you went! But what goodies did you buy? Please share.

I did not get to go because my little one was sick. So I missed Cottenham and NEC. I am so bummed.

If you took pictures, you can contact Jackie and she will make a folder for you to download them to. I did one for last year's. Please do! I'd love to see the beautiful creations!

jdconcc Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:11am
post #591 of 25877

I hope your little one is on the mend now?

I feel like I'm going to let you down now as I didn't buy much at all icon_sad.gif Things are a bit tight at the moment so I only took a tiny bit. I got a gorgeous snowflake cutter from Fine Cut Cutters and a cool PME tool that cuts small shapes out so I could make the snowflake more realistic. I've also used it on a lace pattern that I'm practising in the style of littleweemee off cc.

Next year I want to go with a minimum of a hundred and just go mad getting lots of cutters and rollers and maybe try the gelatine stuff (it looked amazing). I did get to meet Lorraine McKay too which was a huge buzz for me I love her work.

Hopefully the others will have more exciting purchases to rave about icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #592 of 25877

I saw the gelatine flowers too! hey are amazing!! But didn't buy them.

I also saw one of CC member's stand where she was selling booty cutters. They are so cute!!

Before I went to the NEC, I thought I'm not going to spend lot of money. But DH gave me £100 to spend on anything I want. So sweet of him!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 1:35pm
post #593 of 25877

what a great idea a british thread, seems weird to me using boxed mixes perhaps the us ones are better than ours, have any of you tried the buttercream fondant methods or do you use fondant, im toying with experimenting, but a lot of recipes contain shortening ie crisco/trex but surely this would give a lardy taste. would love to hear of any experiences any of you have had.lbl

PaulineG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulineG Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #594 of 25877

Hi There,

It seems I have not been getting any notifications of new replies for this thread, so I have had a bit to catch up on.

I was hoping for some advice, as usual. I put a post on the cake decorating business forum, but got no replies icon_redface.gif
Is there anyone on here that can help? Here's a link to the post....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660565.html

Thanks so much!
Pauline

bashini Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #595 of 25877

Hi Pauline, I calculate the price for the ingredients and three times that amount plus another £10 will be the final total. But if there are sugar flowers involved, I make one and see how long it takes me to make one flower and that time X number of flowers. And you have to give an hourly rate for yourself. So if you take 3 hours to make the flowers, 3 X your hourly rate. Then add that to your ingredients X 3. Hope it make sence. I have a set price list though.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #596 of 25877

Hi ladies can I join you I am also in the UK icon_smile.gif

Pauline I have only just replied to your other post icon_lol.gif how strange.

bashini Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #597 of 25877

Hi scrummymummy, welcome to the thread!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #598 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackluvvie

what a great idea a british thread, seems weird to me using boxed mixes perhaps the us ones are better than ours, have any of you tried the buttercream fondant methods or do you use fondant, im toying with experimenting, but a lot of recipes contain shortening ie crisco/trex but surely this would give a lardy taste. would love to hear of any experiences any of you have had.lbl

I agree about box mixes being strange over here. They would cost an absolute fortune to make a decent sized cake.
As for using Trex although I haven't covered a cake I have used it on cupcakes and to fill and ice a cake before covering with fondant usiing indebys recipe. It is delicous . Also nice with just vanilla extract and 50/50 butter and shortening.
Sometimes I bung a packet of Asda delight into the mix for cupcake buttercream, the butterscotch is lovely.

Melons1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melons1976 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #599 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackluvvie

I agree about box mixes being strange over here. They would cost an absolute fortune to make a decent sized cake.
As for using Trex although I haven't covered a cake I have used it on cupcakes and to fill and ice a cake before covering with fondant usiing indebys recipe. It is delicous . Also nice with just vanilla extract and 50/50 butter and shortening.
Sometimes I bung a packet of Asda delight into the mix for cupcake buttercream, the butterscotch is lovely.

I have just started using Trex so I can aim to get the 1M Swirl mastered - no matter now many times i see videos of it I just can recreate it - although i am almost there.

I find that buttercream made with butter is too soft and doesnt like heat or hold its shape on cupcakes. I am a bit wierded out about serving cupcakes with 100% trex on top though!

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #600 of 25877

Thanks for all your replies on the trex issue i will give it a try, its so nice to be able to share experiences, im quite new to cake decorating i have always baked so now that i have taken early retirement it is time for a new hobby, i have not posted a photo yet all the cakes seem so professional, but i have picked some great tips up. thanks everyone.lbl thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%