elaine0034 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2431 of 25877

thank you will have to check them out.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:42am
post #2432 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine0034

Hey I have just joined this site. I am from Scotland and make cakes as hobby for the time-being.. Have done about 10 now for friends and family. Have tried to upload pics but cant seem to get it to work! Very annoying!!

Just wondering where do you buy cake supplies in the uk? it needs to online for me as my nearest shop is a 120 mile round trip!! and it is not very cheap! I have been using the website sugarshack which is the best i can find but just wondering if anyones know of any better?? Thanks!

HI Elaine welcome. I use design-a-cake. They are in Washington Tyne and Wear but I use their on line service. has always been excellent. BSG members get a discount and you get free delivery over £60 and I do believe 10% over £100 also. I've always got 10% off all orders so maybe that is due to the BSG membership? Worth a look and fast delivery. They do some good deals on bulk order stuff too which I always look out for. HTH icon_smile.gif

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:55am
post #2433 of 25877

Thank you for the welcome allaboutcakeuk! Just figured out how to upload photos so have added some of my recent cakes and cupcakes on there, which made me feel nervous as all the cakes on here look great and I feel mine don't measure up!

Elaine, I have a few good shops near me but often use Squires Kitchen online for boxes and boards.

I have a question too - I have to do some cupcake decorations which are going to have bits of gold decoration on them. I have gold lustre dust but would gold paint be better? He also wants gold lettering on the cake to go with them - whats the best way of doing that too? Thank you!

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:28am
post #2434 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_123

Thank you for the welcome allaboutcakeuk! Just figured out how to upload photos so have added some of my recent cakes and cupcakes on there, which made me feel nervous as all the cakes on here look great and I feel mine don't measure up!

Elaine, I have a few good shops near me but often use Squires Kitchen online for boxes and boards.

I have a question too - I have to do some cupcake decorations which are going to have bits of gold decoration on them. I have gold lustre dust but would gold paint be better? He also wants gold lettering on the cake to go with them - whats the best way of doing that too? Thank you!

Hiya
I recently did some golden wedding cupcakes (in my photos) used gold lustre for some, tried mixing with vodka to paint with but didnt like the results, so just used it dry & other bits I used the non toxic gold glitter (sold as a food colouring, but only non toxic rather than edible, wont harm if eaten though) , I was happy with results. r.e. the lettering, you could cut out individual lettering & colour with the glitter, like I did the 50's

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2435 of 25877

Help please! having the worst nightmare. Stacked the wedding cake today, all fine all tiers prior to stacking fine. It is being delivered on Saturday morning at 9 am. lots of wrapped ribbon round it, just come to look at it and it's got an air bulge on top tier at side. What can i do? Is it going to get much worse I've had this once and it split and had to fill with royal icing but it didn't show but this would! I can't unstack the cake now icon_sad.gif What's the best I can do anyone please?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:41pm
post #2436 of 25877

Has the paste already started to go hard or is it still pliable? If it's still pliable can you burst it and manipulate the paste so that you push the air out?

If it has already dried, if you try and do that it will crack like you said. Is there anyway to remove the top tier and either recover with sugarpaste or twist the tier so that the bit with the bubble is at the back (put a hole in it so it doesn't get any bigger)?

Other than that I wouldn't have a clue, I'd be interested to see anyone elses ideas!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:49pm
post #2437 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Has the paste already started to go hard or is it still pliable? If it's still pliable can you burst it and manipulate the paste so that you push the air out?

If it has already dried, if you try and do that it will crack like you said. Is there anyway to remove the top tier and either recover with sugarpaste or twist the tier so that the bit with the bubble is at the back (put a hole in it so it doesn't get any bigger)?

Other than that I wouldn't have a clue, I'd be interested to see anyone elses ideas!

thanks Lisa - yeah for some reason that side is still pliable. ok I've burst it (i hope) and pushed the paste back onto the cake. so far it's not pushed back out again. I've had to do it a couple of times now. I'm so worried it will blow out during the night and i'll get up to a solid bulge I can't do anything about. I think if i removed the top tier it's going to wreck the tier underneath as it has a sausage of paste edging each join that is crimped icon_sad.gif god why now it's all been great up till now.

LisaPeps Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:05pm
post #2438 of 25877

I think it depends on what sort of air bubble it is as to whether it will blow out or not. The blow outs are caused by air escaping from the cake, like air trapped inside the layers. The other type is an air bubble between the fondant and the outer coating of buttercream/ganache. That's where the coating isn't dampened evenly so the icing sticks in one part and doesn't stick in another and the air is allowed to get trapped and ferments with the sugar and keeps producing air causing the bubble to get larger. I've only even experienced the second one, and popping it and pushing it back on the surface sorted that one out.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:13pm
post #2439 of 25877
Quote:

I think it depends on what sort of air bubble it is as to whether it will blow out or not. The blow outs are caused by air escaping from the cake, like air trapped inside the layers. The other type is an air bubble between the fondant and the outer coating of buttercream/ganache. That's where the coating isn't dampened evenly so the icing sticks in one part and doesn't stick in another and the air is allowed to get trapped and ferments with the sugar and keeps producing air causing the bubble to get larger. I've only even experienced the second one, and popping it and pushing it back on the surface sorted that one out.

Thanks Lisa, I think it may be the one where the icing hasn't stuck properly (the second one) as I did think that it kept moving away from the bottom of the cake when smoothing it so clearly it hadn't stuck icon_sad.gif I just hope it sorts it now. I have to bake some cupcakes tomorrow just hope it doesn't set it off again or I wake up to another bubble as I know i'm going to worry about it all day tomorrow and keep looking at it until it is on the stand. it so rarely happens that it stresses me out so much!!!

LisaPeps Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 7:09pm
post #2440 of 25877

Was everything okay with your cake this morning, Allabout?

sanmarco5 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 9:56am
post #2441 of 25877

OK, a friend told me her boss needed a cake for an 80th birthday, a lifeboat for next friday, I have been trying to contact him for details for a week, just got hold of him today, to be told the cake is for a joint birthday party, someone who is a lifeboat volunteer, and the other person an interior designer!!
I asked him if he had any ideas, and he said 'a lifeboat with something to do with interior design in the middle of it, but your the expert so I will leave it up to you'!! I havent a clue what to do, and little time to think about it now!!!
Any suggestions really appreciated!!

emma_123 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:30pm
post #2442 of 25877

I hope the cake was ok allaboutcake and you were happy with it in the end.

San Marco - that cake sounds like a lot of work! How about having the inside of the boat as a little living room, maybe with little pots of paint or mini rolls of wallpaper lying about like its in the process of being decorated?

Not having a good day here, got a big order on for a wedding and made my first 12 inch cake in my multisize tin, managed to get it all mixed together fine in my new huge bowl and put it in the oven only to notice the mixture was dripping from one of the corners, obviously it had snuck through the lining paper. So opened the oven a crack to try and sort it out but it only got worse so had to try again a few mins later when it was still dripping. So god knows if it'll rise or not and I won't find out for another hour and a half! Fingers crossed it'll be ok and I don't have to do it again. Not a good start to the week when I have an 11 inch cake and 120 cupcakes to make for the same order!

sanmarco5 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2443 of 25877
Quote:

San Marco - that cake sounds like a lot of work! How about having the inside of the boat as a little living room, maybe with little pots of paint or mini rolls of wallpaper lying about like its in the process of being decorated?

Not having a good day here, got a big order on for a wedding and made my first 12 inch cake in my multisize tin, managed to get it all mixed together fine in my new huge bowl and put it in the oven only to notice the mixture was dripping from one of the corners, obviously it had snuck through the lining paper. So opened the oven a crack to try and sort it out but it only got worse so had to try again a few mins later when it was still dripping. So god knows if it'll rise or not and I won't find out for another hour and a half! Fingers crossed it'll be ok and I don't have to do it again. Not a good start to the week when I have an 11 inch cake and 120 cupcakes to make for the same order!

Thanks for the rolls of wallpaper/paint suggestion, could be an idea, although I am not sure, as its a designer, not decorater? will have to maybe try & get hold of the bloke again, its a lot of trouble I could do without to be quite honest, as this isnt my 'job' I am a childninder & work 55 hours a week, so cakes is just a sideline!

r.e. the multisize pan, thats the reason I have never bought one, I dont trust them not to leek, although I am sure they are normally perfectly fine! saying that I recently bought a 12" round pan (can you believe in 25 years making cakes, I had never needed a 12" round!!), and was trying to work out how much batter it would hold by tipping water from a smaller pan, wondered why it wasnt filling very fast when realised as fast as i was tipping it in, it was all leaking out of a seam at the bottom, floor was swamped!! LOL
Hope your cake turns out OK!! xx

emma_123 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:33pm
post #2444 of 25877

I just thought the wallpaper might make it looks like a work in progress rather than just a living room in the middle of a boat! Its a difficult one really and it does sound like a lot of work with a full-time job too.

Well ithe cake is between 2 and two and a half inches tall so it could be taller although to be honest it didn't seem like a lot of mix for the size of pan when I put it in the oven so not sure what height to expect as I've never made a cake that large before. I've used my multi-size pan lots but its never done this to me before, hopefully it won't do it again tomorrow will be very careful when lining it from now on!

sanmarco5 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2445 of 25877
Quote:

I just thought the wallpaper might make it looks like a work in progress rather than just a living room in the middle of a boat! Its a difficult one really and it does sound like a lot of work with a full-time job too.

Well ithe cake is between 2 and two and a half inches tall so it could be taller although to be honest it didn't seem like a lot of mix for the size of pan when I put it in the oven so not sure what height to expect as I've never made a cake that large before. I've used my multi-size pan lots but its never done this to me before, hopefully it won't do it again tomorrow will be very careful ri

when lining it from now on!

I never manage to make a very deep 12" sponge.

Am actually thinking of just a boat with rolls of wallpaper paint tins etc. Rather than the living room idea which although sounds good, seems like an awful lot of work!
Thanks x

allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:54pm
post #2446 of 25877
Quote:

Was everything okay with your cake this morning, Allabout?

Hi Lisa thanks for all your support/advice. I don't understand yet again not receiving any notifications! I delivered the cake on Saturday morning and what a huge sigh of relief there was from me. I woke up mega early on Saturday morning and rushed downstairs like a child on Christmas morning - hoping for something good. And I was pleased to say it was ok. These things are so strange but really do scare the hell out of us cake makers don't they!! I will be grey early at this rate lol

allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2447 of 25877
Quote:

Hi Emma, it worked out lovely thank you for asking.

Now I bought the multisize tin and I never use it unless it is an emergency. Not so much the leaking more the fact I find the metal very thin and due to the edges slotting together hard to wrap to protect the cake. it just ends up winding me up that tin lol! Did it work out ok? I often do anything over 10" in 2 bakes. So two layers. Find it cooks quicker, less likely to over cooking before the centre does and with wet tea towels round the outside or bake even strips pretty even. You'll be ok we can spur you on! icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2448 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

OK, a friend told me her boss needed a cake for an 80th birthday, a lifeboat for next friday, I have been trying to contact him for details for a week, just got hold of him today, to be told the cake is for a joint birthday party, someone who is a lifeboat volunteer, and the other person an interior designer!!
I asked him if he had any ideas, and he said 'a lifeboat with something to do with interior design in the middle of it, but your the expert so I will leave it up to you'!! I havent a clue what to do, and little time to think about it now!!!

OMG doesn't this just drive you nuts when they say that. People give what seems an impossible list of things to incorporate and by magic expect a suitable design. Some things just don't go together no matter how great our imaginations. I had this once it put me off doing the cake from the outset and they wouldn't give me any other input. I would go back to him. The only thing I can think of with interior design is to either put stuff bobbing in the water around the boat.. paint pots, rolls of paper etc. She may be a designer not a decorator but it is still part of their profession so would show their job? Perhaps do a life buoy in a fabric style design like she'd redesigned it? It's a shame there are no sails you could put in floral! HTH

emma_123 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:35am
post #2449 of 25877

Not sure if anybody can help but just posted about my cake - it doesn't look right and the colour is all patchy - the post is in recipe ideas forum if anybody can help it'd be most appreciated! Thank you!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:14am
post #2450 of 25877
Quote:

Not sure if anybody can help but just posted about my cake - it doesn't look right and the colour is all patchy - the post is in recipe ideas forum if anybody can help it'd be most appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Emma I had a look. I'm not sure what is going on there, I'm guessing though that it has baked unevenly due to the leakage? Does it smell ok? Is it soft to the touch - the bits that are uneven are they actually cooked and not stodgy/uncooked? if this all seems ok I would say it's fine just a baking issue. Can anyone else perhaps shed more light?

HTH x

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:19am
post #2451 of 25877

Hi all, no email alerts again. icon_sad.gif

When I bake my cakes, upto 10", I bake all in one. But the 11" & 12" in two halves. For 12" I use 9 eggs for each half.

Emma, I saw the post about your cakes. Did you add the flour and folded it in by a spoon or did you mix it with your mixer? I just asked this because, my instant thought was flour hasn't folded in properly. I add the extract & milk to the eggs ad mix it really well. And mix the egg mixture and the flour alternately to the butter and sugar mixture while its beating. This way all mixes really well. icon_smile.gif

emma_123 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:35am
post #2452 of 25877

Thanks for the replies, yes it is soft to the touch and lovely and moist too. I used a hand mixer to mix everything together but now that I think about it there was some mix at the bottom of the bowl which wasn't as well mixed in so I left that bit in the bowl and mixed it again before adding it to the rest of the mix in the tin so it could be that didn't help. Today I made an 11" cake which I mixed slightly differently and stopped mixing halfway through and scraped the bottom of the bowl to make sure no mixture was missed. I also lined the tin slightly differently too so it didn't leak. I've decided I need to remake it as its for a wedding/birthday and I think it needs to be perfect (or closer to perfect than it is) and am hoping the other one be ok to use for cake pops at least. Thank you for your replies, most appreciated.

bashini Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:51am
post #2453 of 25877

Yes, scraping the bowl in between does help to achieve a smooth batter. icon_smile.gif

By the way, has anyone tried to sign in on the BSG message board today? I tried and some message comes. I didn't do anything as I am scared I would get a virus on the computer.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2454 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Yes, scraping the bowl in between does help to achieve a smooth batter. icon_smile.gif

By the way, has anyone tried to sign in on the BSG message board today? I tried and some message comes. I didn't do anything as I am scared I would get a virus on the computer.

Hi Bashini I've not signed in because I've had continuous problems. It won't recognise any of my details so I'm wondering if something is going on there icon_sad.gif

bashini Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2455 of 25877

The message says its an unsecurer site. But I just ignored and signed in and nothing happened so far! icon_smile.gif

WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:14pm
post #2456 of 25877

Hi Everyone - not been on for a while, so just catching up with the past posts. icon_smile.gif

Does anyone know where in the uk you can get a 24 hole cupcake tin? I'm looking for one that bakes cupcake sized cakes, not mini ones. Ta muchly as ever!!

Sooz. x

sanmarco5 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:26am
post #2457 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

OMG doesn't this just drive you nuts when they say that. People give what seems an impossible list of things to incorporate and by magic expect a suitable design. Some things just don't go together no matter how great our imaginations. I had this once it put me off doing the cake from the outset and they wouldn't give me any other input. I would go back to him. The only thing I can think of with interior design is to either put stuff bobbing in the water around the boat.. paint pots, rolls of paper etc. She may be a designer not a decorator but it is still part of their profession so would show their job? Perhaps do a life buoy in a fabric style design like she'd redesigned it? It's a shame there are no sails you could put in floral! HTH

I did it! very happy with it & just about to upload if anyone wants a peek xx

sanmarco5 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:35am
post #2458 of 25877

mini cakes help needed.

OK, i never made mini cakes before, someone just enquired r.e. 20 mini cakes, but they want them boxed individually & decorated as christmas cakes. I have done 4" christmas cakes, but she said no thats too big, she wants them the 'normal' mini cake size 'the ones people have instead of cupcakes', so does anyone know whats the average size for those? and what do you generally do, cut them out with a cutter or??? also where can I get boxes for them? many thanks x

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2459 of 25877

Hiya!

Re the mini cakes- I think in my peggy porschen book she makes them and she literally makes a sheet cake then uses a cutter of whatever size you want to cut each one out! Not sure what the average size is though!! As for boxes- maybe try individual cupcake boxes or the clear plastic domes for cupcakes/muffins?

HTH!

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2460 of 25877

Hi Sanmarco5, if you have a look in my photos you will see some mini cakes I did for a wedding, 50 of them to be precise!!

They are each 2" in diameter and I used 2" tins which came with 12 of them in a little tray. They are like 2" tubes are about 3" high.

These were sponge and it took an age to cover in fondant!! If you dont have so many to make you could bake a cake and cut out with a cutter how many you need.

I should imagine your local sugarstore would have the boxes for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%