A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 10:50am
post #17191 of 25877

AI'm a recent convert to wearing a kitchen apron...something I never saw my Mum and Grandma doing whilst baking!! I think that I 'play' with icing sugar more though :)

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 10:50am
post #17192 of 25877

ALmao! Lizzy! My mum has come to me before now with on my of Nans dresses. You know the type with long arms and to the floor button up on the front? And she's made me wear it backwards with the buttons at the back because I'm making such a mess haha!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 11:28am
post #17193 of 25877

AAah Lizzy - Cake Muggles..... love it!! Has anybody seen the post on Tiddy's FB page - don't know if she posted it on here but it is soooo true! Even my daughter sent it to me as she knows that every single word was, well....me! Haha.

Kathy (promising to catch up but never can quite manage it :( )

DaysCakes Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 11:29am
post #17194 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

Lmao! Lizzy! My mum has come to me before now with on my of Nans dresses. You know the type with long arms and to the floor button up on the front? And she's made me wear it backwards with the buttons at the back because I'm making such a mess haha!

Oh my nan used to have an apron like that! Had sleeves and everything! Lol. Pics required m'lady! (Loving the tiara :) ).

Kathy

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:06pm
post #17195 of 25877

Aprons don't work for me. I get stuff on the inside as well as the outside :eek:

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:24pm
post #17196 of 25877

ADid someone say they had a code for free delivery on Craft Co ?

petitecat Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:30pm
post #17197 of 25877

Whoops I forgot the code for the free delivery: CCAUG2014

Your shark cake looks great Jo :)

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:33pm
post #17198 of 25877

AAh thanks petitecat, letters weren't in the right position really and the burst wasn't centre but it looks better today !

Yes I tried that code but not working as now we are in September I think lol x

kuuushi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:33pm
post #17199 of 25877

AGuys I need your opinions...

Some of you may know that I'm a qualified beautician but I work as a medical buyer.

I'm thinking of cutting hours in work and thinking if quitting this job all together to focus more on cakestuff.

To do that I am toying with the idea of doing mobile beauty to act as an income until I get around to doing cakes full time...

Thoughts?

petitecat Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 12:49pm
post #17200 of 25877

Jo, I am a numpty! Sorry! Hopefully they will do the same promo this month, as they it did for June and July too.

Kuushi, I guess the important question that you and your hubby need to answer is whether you would be able to cope on his income alone until such time that either the mobile beauty or (preferably) cake business takes off. 

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 1:07pm
post #17201 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

Lmao! Lizzy! My mum has come to me before now with on my of Nans dresses. You know the type with long arms and to the floor button up on the front? And she's made me wear it backwards with the buttons at the back because I'm making such a mess haha!

Haha I could do with one of these, how chocolate manages to get in some of the places it gets is beyond me!

I went to KFC last night for tea, purely for research purposes of course (yes my diet is going well!) and they've only gone and changed the bloomin bucket! I think I'll stick with the old design though because the new one is rubbish and doesn't even have the colonel on it!

Oh a second, uncakey note, I've been researching for our Iceland trip and have been so excited to go the Blue Lagoon. Apparently you can't go to Iceland without visiting it it looks stunning (it's a geothermal pool) but I've just discovered that to go in you have to shower...naked...in communal showers! Am I being a prude if this is enough to put me off going?!

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 1:14pm
post #17202 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

Just realised I've taken my life in my hands by wearing a pale top and a white cardi whilst making choc cake.

I don't *think* I've got anything on me, but I'll probably spot a giant mark when I'm in Tesco.

It's on your butt, it's always in a hand shaped smear on your butt, in chocolate this could be a very bad look lol (sorry hehe)

Well I've had a date with olaf and I'm not sure we're friends right now. What do you think, obviously he has a body too but that needs to set for a couple of hours.

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283723/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Siany01 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 1:18pm
post #17203 of 25877

ATo give you a laugh this is what I came up with from a tutorial. The one above I just made from looking at his picture. I think this is demonic olaf lol

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283725/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Edit to add, well what do you know he photographs well he's much worse in really life.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 1:18pm
post #17204 of 25877

AIt's not prudish to not be comfortable doing something sugar, it would be if you said you didn't think anyone should do it, but it's just personal preference of you don't. I don't think I could fwiw. I did a boudoir photoshoot for hubby last Christmas- it took me almost a year to get up the guts and that was just me and a female photographer!

Phone about to die, back later!

Siany01 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 1:26pm
post #17205 of 25877

A

It's not prudish to not be comfortable doing something sugar, it would be if you said you didn't think anyone should do it, but it's just personal preference of you don't. I don't think I could fwiw. I did a boudoir photoshoot for hubby last Christmas- it took me almost a year to get up the guts and that was just me and a female photographer!

Phone about to die, back later!

I agree no naked group showers for me either. I barely cope with going in a shower at David lloyd where I know other people have been, ewww, all sorts of nasty naked things touching the walls and the floor. No, not for me. Not that I'm a prude I just don't want to catch nasty crap. Last time I did I got horrid athletes foot, eurgh, stop I feel sick now lol

sugarluva Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:19pm
post #17207 of 25877

AI was really looking forward to going too so I might have to see if I can muster up the courage thoigh I doubt it. They do offer a luxury 'private' package but for my and my boyfriend to do that it would cost £240! I feel like they're holding fat insecure people to ransom haha.

Siany your olaf looks great. I love his face and his cheeky smile you have captured him well.

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:45pm
post #17208 of 25877

A[quote name="Siany01" url="/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/17160#post_7547964"] It's on your butt, it's always in a hand shaped smear on your butt, in chocolate this could be a very bad look lol (sorry hehe)

Well I've had a date with olaf and I'm not sure we're friends right now. What do you think, obviously he has a body too but that needs to set for a couple of hours.

[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283723/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

Lmao :lol: So true :-D

My youngest used to have a real thing for stickers, he had hundreds of them on sheets. I went into town on my own one day when he was about 4, had a lovely couple of hours wandering around the place, then went home. When I got in my hubby started laughing. Turns out my youngest could be quite gentle when he wanted. I had a line of about 15 little smiley face/penguin/incredibles stickers right across my a**e on my jeans :-D

Olaf is brilliant Siany. I think I like creepy Olaf even more; it's like the dark side of Disney :-D

Kelsey, if you're thinking of focusing on cakes full time, just make sure that you are doing all your sums right before you take the plunge. You need to work out every single expense, then decide whether you can cope not knowing if you'll have a full income from one month to the next.

I guess you've been fully self employed before if you're a qualified beautician (wanting less and less to stand next to you at ci btw when I read this stuff :-)) so you know how hard it is.

I'm so lucky that hubby is earning a full wage - I could not support us on what I make. I have months like last month where I had an actual profit, enough to have paid the mortgage and the bills, but this month I've got far less and income will not exceed outgoings.

If you can afford to do it though then hell yeah, go for it! Yolo!

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 2:50pm
post #17209 of 25877

A

Original message sent by sugarluva

I was really looking forward to going too so I might have to see if I can muster up the courage thoigh I doubt it. They do offer a luxury 'private' package but for my and my boyfriend to do that it would cost £240! I feel like they're holding fat insecure people to ransom haha.

Siany your olaf looks great. I love his face and his cheeky smile you have captured him well.

Lol :lol:

Do they really insist on the nudity? If it was done around where I live, having seen some of the train wrecks walking around town, I think they'd insist on wearing more clothes not less!

sugarluva Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 3:39pm
post #17210 of 25877

A

Lol :lol:

Do they really insist on the nudity? If it was done around where I live, having seen some of the train wrecks walking around town, I think they'd insist on wearing more clothes not less!

Yes apparently it's standard practise in Iceland and most Scandinavian countries. They find it disgusting that we let people just walk in off the street and get in a communal pool without a proper shower first. I'm inclined to agree but I just can't bring myself to do it haha. Maybe I could just sign a waver saying I am indeed very clean... Or a note from my mum excusing me from a nekkid shower!

DaysCakes Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 3:49pm
post #17211 of 25877

ASorry ...what did I miss? Naked showers???!!! Huh?

Kelsey - can you teach music by any chance? Teaching private lessons can earn quite a bit round my way. Not sure of the going rate though. Just a thought because DS is a musician (just graduated) and before he got his teaching job at a school, one of his options was to do private lessons to bolster his swimming tuition classes.

I have no idea what a mobile beauty operative would get - but I get lots of flyers through my letterbox and I am assuming there are a lot near me. Trouble is deciding who is the one to go with. Plus - do you want to go into other people's houses who you don't know?

Kathy

sugarluva Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 4:21pm
post #17212 of 25877

AMobile beauticians seem to be quite popular at the moment. I would rather use a mobile one than go somewhere to be honest. I have a mobile hairdresser. So if you could balance cakes with beauty that would be a great idea. As long as you have enough time to do both that should give you double the chance of making enough money each month.

My job involves going to people's houses that I don't know but as long as you take precautions I've never had any trouble. I always tell my boyfriend the name and address of the person I'm going to and he tracks my phone so knows when I'm there and when I've left. I guess that anyone wishing to plot a murder wouldn't think to pick a dog walker/Pet sitter! But you do have to be careful.

The hardest part of being self employed is balancing your income with how much you work I find. I find it really hard to say no to people, especially returning clients that need a 'favour' at the last minute but it can mean you end up working ridiculously long hours. If you can balance that with coping with not knowing how much money you're going to make each month then being self employed I find is very rewarding. It's great knowing that everything you do you do for yourself and not someone else, I'm sure everyone who is self employed will agree with that!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 5:35pm
post #17213 of 25877

Pah!  There'll be no nude public showering for me, thank you very much!!!!

Your Olaf is brilliant!  I have to do one next month.  If it's remotely as good as yours I'll be very happy!!!!

kuuushi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 8:11pm
post #17214 of 25877

AGluten free choc orange mud cake nearly due out! Mmmmm

Lizzy hahah I'm a qualified beautician yes but why would you not want to stand next to me at CI? Lol :(

Kathy I am a fully graded violinist but haven't played for about a year or two. Not sure if there's licences about for teaching?

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 8:14pm
post #17215 of 25877

ACos you know how to make yourself up properly and as mentioned before have nicely done eyebrows. I on the other hand do my face in about 3 minutes and pluck my eyebrows when I've taken my lenses out :lol:

Only joking, I'll stand next to you. I'll be the one with the bag on my head :-D

kuuushi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 8:16pm
post #17216 of 25877

ALmao! Yeah but lizzy it only means I know how to cover and hide my flaws :D hahah

Believe me, one day soon I will take a picture just after a cleanse and when I've done makeup. You'll see!!

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 8:40pm
post #17217 of 25877

ALol, you without makeup isn't exactly going to be a Snog, Marry, Avoid transformation is it :-D

kuuushi Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 8:53pm
post #17218 of 25877

A

Lizzybug78 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 9:38pm
post #17219 of 25877

AI'd so watch that! :lol:

DaysCakes Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 5:35am
post #17220 of 25877

AMorning! Kelsey I think you only need grade 8 to teach but if you're going to teach kids you might want to be crb checked and I'm not sure how you go about that. I love the violin when someone can play it properly. Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%