A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1441 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Has the book Pop Bakery been released there yet? It's written by someone from over there. I was wondering what it was like, and whether it would be worth pre-ordering here in the US.

If anyone has it, would you please describe the contents to me?

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Just checked on Amazon and it hasn't been released so no customer reviews yet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1907563229/?tag=cakecentral-20

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1442 of 25877

Thank you, Rosiepan.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

clairey_fairee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairey_fairee Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1443 of 25877

can anyone help. i have made 4 batches of white chocolate ganache over the last week, using my normal quantities normal ingredients normal method. 3 have turned out too runny, one i overwhipped (trying to counteract the runninness!) I have tried a little less cream (i always use double fresh cream) and tried a microwave method (usually boil cream and pour over chocolate).
is it me? is it the weather? or has something wierd happened to double cream or white chocolate since xmas!

i have never had this before - i just make the ganache and it works!
right i\\'m now off to buy more ingredients and try again aargh!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #1444 of 25877

Can you tell us what quantities you are using of the cream and chocolate?

How long are you leaving it to set?? You have to leave it either overnight at room temp or in the fridge for a few hours. If you are using it instead of buttercream for making a smooth crumb coat then it\\'s not that essential for it to set before using as it will set on the cake anyway. But if it is to be whipped for a filling, then letting it set is essential.

Also, I always using whipping cream rather than double cream (green packaging) as it has a lower fat content.

HTH

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 10:23am
post #1445 of 25877

Hi all, been ages I've been on this thread. Have loads of catching up to do!
I was hoping to get some advice.
I've booked a stand at a wedding exhibition this weekend. I've made 4 dummy wedding cakes and was thinking of having cupcakes, favour cookies and individual cheesecakes (Eric Lanlard style cheesecakes) as display as well as tasters. I'll be selling these but at reduced prices.
I'll also have slices of cake available free for tasters. Is it then a good idea to still have some cupcakes to sell?
I've never actually been to an exhibition before so i'm not too sure what to expect.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:14pm
post #1446 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

Hi all, been ages I've been on this thread. Have loads of catching up to do!
I was hoping to get some advice.
I've booked a stand at a wedding exhibition this weekend. I've made 4 dummy wedding cakes and was thinking of having cupcakes, favour cookies and individual cheesecakes (Eric Lanlard style cheesecakes) as display as well as tasters. I'll be selling these but at reduced prices.
I'll also have slices of cake available free for tasters. Is it then a good idea to still have some cupcakes to sell?
I've never actually been to an exhibition before so i'm not too sure what to expect.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Good luck with the exhibition!

When you say slices of cake how big a piece do you mean? Is it more big crumbs as opposed to actual slices? I don't remember having cake samples at the wedding fayre I've been to but at the cake show in the NEC I have been to, there has at most only been the "big crumbs" type cake pieces for sampling. I would think the logistics (and cost) of giving any more would be a nightmare.

If you are selling anything at less than normal full price make sure you advertise that it is a special exhibition rate and put your normal prices somewhere too.

If you are displaying and then selling anything for consumption make sure you cover it to avoid people coughing on them or just to protect them from the general dust that seems to rise at these events with so many people in a small space.

I know sometimes cake decorators will offer a discount to people who place the order at the exhibition, I dont know if you would want to do that.

I guess how much you should have for sale to eat depends on the number of people expected at the exhibition and the feel of the exhibition.

lucieland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucieland Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:57am
post #1447 of 25877

Hi there, I am new to this website, and this group, and even to cake making but I am loving it. I have a couple of questions though, I don't know what all the acronyms mean on this site, some I think I have managed to work out, but there are others I don't know, so if anyone can help it would be great. Also I have been making a 'normal' cake batter, 200gms caster sugar, 200gms self raising flour, 200gms stork (would I be better using normal unsalted butter), and 4 large eggs. It seems to rise nicely, but the problem I have is that the top and sides always seem to nearly burn, I have tried adjusting the temperature, and length of time to no avail, can anyone help? I am using a fan oven, so I know this can often change things?
Thanks, and happy baking to you all.

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:57am
post #1448 of 25877

Hi Lucieland. Welcome to the world of baking! I'm afraid I won't be of much help on the technical side of baking, but I'm sure there'll be someone else with good advice.

About the acronyms, I'm pretty sure there's an article somewhere on here with the full meanings. Try the search tool in the forums.

Jennifer, thank you so much for all the detailed advice. I took everything on board and it helped. The whole thing went really well, couldn't have gone better! I had rectangle slices for tasters as well as the cupcakes to sell and everything was just enough. Managed to shift it all by the end of the day.
I've got quite a few promising consultations lined up so am looking forward to that!
Once again, thanks a lot!

Arabus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arabus Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:54am
post #1449 of 25877

hello all,
i was wondering if there is an alternative to using Cigarellos on a display cake.
Thanks for your help

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1450 of 25877

Arabus, I assume it still needs to be edible even though it is a display cake? What about chocolate flakes or covered flakes like twirl bars?

lucieland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucieland Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1451 of 25877

what about chocolate fingers? A lot cheaper than cigarellos as well!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:15am
post #1452 of 25877

How about making some out of the chocolate flavoured fondant, roll out thin, cut into rectangles then roll into fake cigarellos thumbs_up.gif

Scotch__Mist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scotch__Mist Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm
post #1453 of 25877

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get small clear edible diamonds in the uk. The smallest I can find is 1cm but was looking for a little smaller maybe 0.5cm?

Thanks

Rosiepan Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1454 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucieland

Hi there, I am new to this website, and this group, and even to cake making but I am loving it. I have a couple of questions though, I don't know what all the acronyms mean on this site, some I think I have managed to work out, but there are others I don't know, so if anyone can help it would be great. Also I have been making a 'normal' cake batter, 200gms caster sugar, 200gms self raising flour, 200gms stork (would I be better using normal unsalted butter), and 4 large eggs. It seems to rise nicely, but the problem I have is that the top and sides always seem to nearly burn, I have tried adjusting the temperature, and length of time to no avail, can anyone help? I am using a fan oven, so I know this can often change things?
Thanks, and happy baking to you all.

Apologies if I am a little late on this information. I would check your oven temperature with a oven thermometer (about a fiver in Dunhelm Mill) In case the thermastat is out.
You could either buy or make some oven strips.
I line a strip of foil with several layers of paper towels. folded and soaked with water . I then fold over the foil to encase the paper towels and use a small bulldog clip to hold them.
Hope this helps

Rosiepan Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #1455 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus

hello all,
i was wondering if there is an alternative to using Cigarellos on a display cake.
Thanks for your help

You could make them with thin rolled gumpaste using this method of rolling or you could just follow this tutorial
http://cakecentral.com/articles/133/how-to-make-chocolate-cigarellos-natis-way

acmomcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acmomcee Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:49pm
post #1456 of 25877

Hello UK ladies,
I didnt know there's a special thread for us here. Thank goodness I food this. I have so much back reading to do...

Have a quick question... I am having a hard time deciding what bran of cocoa to use in replace of Hershey's as I'm using the Hershey's moist chocolate cake recipe on the recipe page of this forum. I know Hershey's is natural unsweetened cocoa and have been using Tesco's for quite awhile now as it's the only brand I find dark enough. Does anyone here know what kind of cocoa is Tesco's? I just bought Green and Blacks and will try soon, but still wondering there are other good brands that are a bit cheaper than Green and Blacks.

Basically, this is just about the best brand of cocoa so if you may please suggest, I will greatly appreciate. Thanks so much in advance!

acmomcee Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #1457 of 25877

Hello UK ladies,
I didnt know there's a special thread for us here. Thank goodness I food this. I have so much back reading to do...

Have a quick question... I am having a hard time deciding what bran of cocoa to use in replace of Hershey's as I'm using the Hershey's moist chocolate cake recipe on the recipe page of this forum. I know Hershey's is natural unsweetened cocoa and have been using Tesco's for quite awhile now as it's the only brand I find dark enough. Does anyone here know what kind of cocoa is Tesco's? I just bought Green and Blacks and will try soon, but still wondering there are other good brands that are a bit cheaper than Green and Blacks.

Basically, this is just about the best brand of cocoa so if you may please suggest, I will greatly appreciate. Thanks so much in advance!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:09am
post #1458 of 25877

Did anyone watch my big fat gypsy wedding last night? Did you see the amount of cake they had!!! It was huuuggeee! How much would something like that cost and how many would it feed?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:31am
post #1459 of 25877

Hi acmomcee, welcome to the thread. I haven't tried the recipe you have mentioned. But for my chocolate cakes, I use Cadbury Bourneville cocoa powder. It is very chocolaty. icon_smile.gif

acmomcee Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1460 of 25877

Thanks Bash for a really quick reply. I should have found this thread and asked this question earlier as I just asked hubby to buy me 2 Green and Blacks and 1 Tesco's last night. I will surely buy the Cadbury Bournville you suggested and compare the taste of the 3.

I am actually in my portfolio building stage and planning to do some to giveaway to friends as free taste. I am planning to make this a business, but I think will work on the paper works when I have proven myself that I can do this. icon_smile.gif Lots of luck for me!

Rosiepan Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1461 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Did anyone watch my big fat gypsy wedding last night? Did you see the amount of cake they had!!! It was huggee! How much would something like that cost and how many would it feed?

I forgot it was on and went out was kicking myself but managed to view it today on the net. The cake was massive. I have no idea how two women managed to carry that. Also amazing that a single mother was able to pay for it. I have to say it is compulsive viewing.

ShelleyScrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyScrumptious Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1462 of 25877

Hi All

I posted in the general bit because I couldn't find a UK thread and here you are all hiding icon_lol.gif

I am currently looking/practicing a topsy turvey cake and cupcakes for 2 different weddings this year icon_eek.gif

RE the gypsy wedding cakes I was PMSL with my niece, taking the mick that is she sure she wouldn't rather a cake like that rather than the topsy turvey one we are planning icon_rolleyes.gif

chezzajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzajd Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:39am
post #1463 of 25877

hi guys im from the uk and want to try adding pudding mix to my cake mix for diff flavours, can any of you recomend any any help is greatly appriciated,
cheryl x

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:54am
post #1464 of 25877

Hi all,

I am new to caking and from UK, glad i found you guys icon_smile.gif

Have so far been struggling with UK substitutes for some of the american ingredients also using measuring cups as I've previously been a scales and grams girl before!

Glad to meet you all!

My big fat gypsy wedding- how can they afford the ridiculous dresses as well as that cake?!

xxx

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 12:05pm
post #1465 of 25877

Hi to all you uk bakers, is there anyone who knows how to make flower paste, I remember reading somewhere that you can make it from shop bought fondant by adding gum tragacanthe - but couldn't find where I read this and am not sure of which fondant to use and how much of the gum - can anyone help icon_confused.gif

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1466 of 25877

Adding 1tsp of gum trag to 8oz sugarpaste makes modelling paste. Also you have to leave it overnight. Flowerpaste is 500g icing sugar 1tsp gum trag 25ml cold water 2tsp powered gelatine 2tsp liquid glucose 1tbsp white vegetable fat 1 egg white. I make modelling paste but usually buy flowerpaste its a lot easier. Modelling paste is not so strechy if you are making realistic flowers flower paste is the one to use.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1467 of 25877

thanks for your advice jillyscakes, I shall carry on buying the flowerpaste for the flowers and use your tip for making modelling paste. I did try mixing some cmc into ready made fondant and then cut out some daisies and left them overnight, but it does not seem to harden off as much as the ready made flower paste. worth a try - but I'll go back to buying the readymade flower paste.

kzzzzh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kzzzzh Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1468 of 25877

Hi
I too use the tesco cocoa and its lovely, i have used the bournville as well but find tesco's really good. my sister in law used the green and blacks and said it didnt mix in very well x

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:59am
post #1469 of 25877

Morning Everyone

I'm going to make a giant cupcake but looking at the tins, there seems to be quite a few different options that vary greatly in price from a silicon mould at about £8 to metal ones at £25. Can anyone recommend one to buy, and also, do you know roughly how many slices you get from them?

TIA

Coco x

kzzzzh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kzzzzh Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:49am
post #1470 of 25877

hi
i am very new to this site and cake decorating so will be looking for loads of advice and ideas, my cake tutor said she doesnt bother with the cupcake tins, she said they are too expensive and very often overcook the top while waiting for the bottom to cook or you have to do two seperate bakes, she uses her normal cake tins and just shapes the top cake and then covers in fondant and then runs her tools round in a spiral to make the shape, hope that makes sense, i have seen her do it and it looks brill xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%