Bride Cancelled Order At Last Minute

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 2:18am by KeltoKel

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #1 of 14

I have a bride who cancelled her two dozen wedding cake iced cookies today. I already made them and they were due in a week. they are boxed and in the freezer (I don't do cookies usually but she begged me and i told her i can do them ahead and freeze since i was booked that week)

Anyway, she doesn't want them because the wedding is postponed. Not sure if she will ever use them, she cancelled. Do I ask her for the money because I already made them or just the cost of what it took to make them? I spend three days on these during a very busy week. Any suggestions on how to handle this? this was a $90 order.

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 14

Yes, you take the money and give her the cookies. It's too late now, but you should have required half the payment up front and the rest when she picked them up. Sorry this happened to you... Do you know the bride personally?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 14

she totally owes you , your money.. you worked hard on these. and told her that you had to make them ahead of time.. and she agreed.. so , ask her for your money.. let us know if you are lucky enough to get it. i do hope so..

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 14

and if she comes back later, either make her pay ahead of time, or tell her no and learn from the whole mess. good luck on getting your $. icon_smile.gif

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 14

That depends on what your arrangement was. Did you give her a cancellation policy?

Tammi

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 14

She totally owes you. I've been burned ONCE like that and it was then that I started requiring payment 14 days prior to delivery date or I don't complete the order. I know some here on CC require payment as far as 30 days in advance so it's not uncommon to get paid before you do the job.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 14

She does owe you, but I doubt you will get it. Please let this teach you to always get a deposit. This has only happened to me once, and I never let it happen again.
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 14

Always have them sign something, and get a deposit, final pmt. 2 weeks prior. Your clients should want a contract anyway! It covers both of your butts if something goes awry on either end. My hotel has had to go to court several times against clients, and the contract always saves us. And if they make changes after the contract has been signed, put revised on the contract and have them sign the new one.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #9 of 14

Oh man... that stinks something fierce!

I think that if she begged you to do this, with the understanding that it would already be done by now, then she really needs to pay you, and she knows that. Like everyone said, it's a shame you didn't get payment in advance. I'd contact her and let her know that they are hers, she needs to bring you cash and pick them up, then she can either take up her freezer space with them, or give them away. JMHO. As mentioned, there is a very good chance that you won't see a red cent, but in that case, the answer is NO to any future orders.

Sorry about your wasted time... is there any way if she doesn't use them that you could sort of 'recycle' them? Sell them individually as treats, or even use them as calling card type samples to rustle up more business?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #10 of 14

Suggest to her that they're already frozen, and if the wedding's just postponed, not cancelled, they can remain frozen until she needs them. Tell her that she WILL be paying for them now, however!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #11 of 14

Sorry, I wanted to add one thing that I forgot to say earlier...

I believe that business is business, but if there were a totally legit reason like, 'The groom died' or a horrible accident, etc. I would be much less likely to demand payment. I'd be much more willing to sort of 'eat it' for them in an effort to maintain the human touch!

Just wanted to mention that!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #12 of 14

If you didn't have a written contract, she doesn't owe you anything. If you were going to say something to her regarding a cancellation charge, you should have done that the minute she cancelled. She may not have realized that you did them already. And if you didn't speak up when she cancelled she may not feel at all obligated. Did you tell her how far in advance you would be doing them? She may have thought you meant you would do them two days in advance, thus giving you plenty of notice.

If I called you to cancel and you told me that you already made them, I would pay you and put them out at work for others to enjoy. I would feel obligated. Going forward get a written contract and payment before doing the work.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Suggest to her that they're already frozen, and if the wedding's just postponed, not cancelled, they can remain frozen until she needs them. Tell her that she WILL be paying for them now, however!

They can remain frozen IN HER FREEZER after she pays you for them and comes and gets them.

you've already invested YOUR money into these. There is no reason for YOU to sit on them when SHE can just as easily sit on them. You are not a storage facility. I have a commercial kitchen and while my freezer is MUCH bigger than hers, the point is that I bought that freezer for MY use ... not for HER storage until god knows when this wedding gets rescheduled. And even then, it's not a sure thing that she's going to buy the cookies then.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #14 of 14

I agree with Red, she only owes you if you have a contract that states a cancellation policy. I am sorry this has happened to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%