I've Resorted To Desperate Measures

Lounge By cakesbycathy Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:07am by bizatchgirl

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 395

I had to have my husband hide the last Twilight book so that I would stop reading it and finish the 2 tier cake I am working on for his neice's baptism tomorrow!

394 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 395

it shows great strength of will and dedication to your art that you came up with that as a solution. I applaud you!

I haven't read them yet, but am looking forward to the end of this semester so I can kinda relax over the summer and get them read. icon_smile.gif

MRRRAR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRRRAR Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 395

My copy (of the first book) is still sitting on my bookshelf! I haven't had time yet to start it but I hear that I will not be able to set it down once I do!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 395

Have you read the book she wrote for adult readers titled "Host"? I read it last summer and didn't get much else done those few days.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 395

is this going to be another one like Harry Potter, where I'm completely useless until I've finished the book? icon_razz.gif I should warn my hubby now, if so!

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

is this going to be another one like Harry Potter, where I'm completely useless until I've finished the book? icon_razz.gif I should warn my hubby now, if so!

YES!!

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #7 of 395

Ohhh girls, luv to have found u!!
I'm also obsessed with twighlight now!!! The books are so amazing! I sneak out of bed at night when my husband is asleep sometimes and sit there and read past midnight!! hahaha And mind u I'm not much of a reader ...

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 395

My daughter had the first book, and I bought her the rest for Christmas. Well, I read the first one in the first week of Dec. and sure enough, I unwrapped New Moon & read that, did the same for the 3rd & 4th. I'm the same way, can't get a thing done if I am reading.

Did you guys watch the movie yet? I'm just wondering what you thought of it compared to the book.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 395

I'm obssessed with the books, they were so good and just got better with each one, I read the last one twice! It's such an amazing story. I saw the film first and loved it, that's what got me hooked. Can't wait for the rest to come out on film. I'm useless when I'm reading them though even the kids get neglected... glad I'm not alone!

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 395

Oh my goodness!! and I thought that my daughter and her friends were the only ones obsessed my " Twilight" !! (LOL)

My daughter bought herself the first book, and I bought the other 3 for her X-mas. She also has the DVD, tote bags, and a T-shirt!! She has been after me to read the books and I just can't get into them yet. I really just haven't had time to read..

"Cakes22" ..... My daughter could give you a full critque on the movie and the way it compares to the book! .... But so as not to ruin it for everyone, she did like the book better.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 395

I read all the books in about a week and a half! Which with a 2 year old is really fast!!

I LOVE THE BOOKS!!

The movie was really good, but I think that they skipped a bunch of important information in the movie - especially cultivating their relationship - don't get me wrong - I really love the movie too!!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 395

I haven't read the books, but just saw the movie. I had to say I was a little disappointed. Once I get through my other 7 books on the go (I am dead serious), I will have to pick them up.

cakes22 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 395

I loved the movie!!!!
Maybe it was because I saw the actors who were playing them before I read the book, but they did a great casting job on the movie. Edward was just what I pictured him to be (and normally that doesn't happen). My only critique with the movie was that Edward seemed not as reserved with Bella as he was in the book. He never really physically touched her or initiated contact with her in the book but did in the movie. IMHO.
And I can totally see why the girls are all gushing over Robert Pattinson. He is kinda cute, though he looks like he could cry at any given moment!!!

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 395

Oh how I LOVE those books...and I did not think that I would. I found the second one a hard read, because I did not like the dynamic between Bella and Jacob. tapedshut.gif But the 4th book blew me away! icon_biggrin.gif I dont think that they will be able to put that into a movie and do the story justice. The first movie was pretty good, but they did leave out so many things that made their relationship so close so quickly.

I have 2 kids and got nothing done for 2 weeks while I read the books. My husband was like..."Oh NO, there is another one!" Every time I brought a new one home. I have not read anything else by her but will now.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

YES!!

I have to disagree. I started to read the book cause everyone said it was as good as Harry Potter but I just couldn't get into it. I read about half of the book. It wasn't even close to the same league as Harry Potter. Now having said that, my son is a big Twilight fan so I finely went to see the movie. Even drug my hubby and other son. We all agreed the movie was pretty good. So now I'm willing to go back and give the book another chance. Maybe I missed something the first time.
Sherri

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 395

I also just read all 4 books in the past two weeks, staying up entirely too late to read! Book 4 is by far the best. Stephenie Meyer began writing book 1 from Edward's perspective and it was leaked. The book is called Midnight Sun and it is 264 pages long. Hopefully she finishes the book soon because it is a very good read...so interesting to hear what is in Edward's mind as he hears everyone elses thoughts. You can find it on her website.

thepinklotusstore Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

I read all the books in about a week and a half! Which with a 2 year old is really fast!!

I LOVE THE BOOKS!!

The movie was really good, but I think that they skipped a bunch of important information in the movie - especially cultivating their relationship - don't get me wrong - I really love the movie too!!

Ditto!! I have a 2 and a 5 yrs olds and go full time to school, and well I read the first book in about 2 days!!! 500 pages hahahaha, didnt do homework or anything arount his house LOL
I actually also got inspired by the movie (saw it the very next day after it came out on DVD) and I agree that they missed a bunch of stuff especially about their relationship, but I still loved it!! Love Rob, he's really freakin cute! The books are amazing, Im on my way to buy New Moon (the 2nd one), it's sold out almost everywhere around here icon_sad.gif Wish me luck!! hehehe

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 395

yeah, I just got pulled in to the frenzie, I saw the movie first and loved it. Was kind of glad that I saw it first to have those characters faces in my head. I started reading the book 1 2 days ago and now I am half way thru the 2nd book icon_smile.gif I have got nothing done in 2 days haha i really love this series (byt the way I have not read a book in YEARS, this is very odd for me)

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #19 of 395

I watched the movie this weekend. I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see it since i love the book so much. I was so disappointed in how the Harry Potter movies turned out (I've read each of the 7 books at least 4 times).
I have I did like the movie! I thought the movie did a good job of following the story line. My DH did not read the book but still enjoyed the movie. I can't decide if it's better to see the movie then read the book or the other way around.
Now I want to go back and read the books again!

janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #20 of 395

OH NO!! good luck!! new moon was really reallyg good, but I suggest that you just go ahead and buy the last 3 at the same time - basically they just stop and you HAVE TO HAVE the next one to read.

SO GOOD!!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #21 of 395

Wow, you have some willpower. I yelled at hubby when he tried to hide my books so I'd do my homework! lol. I bought the first one on a Monday, and finished reading the 4th by that Thursday evening. Somehow I got at least my math homework submited by the midnight deadline. I thought I'd read the book and see what the fuss was all about, and I'm hooked. My 9 year old wants to read them now. She watched the movie with me, and I made her sleep on my bedroom floor in case she had a nightmare, but nothin.

cakes22 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 395

I don't think you can compare Harry Potter & Twilight, just my opinion.

I loved HP! Thought they were well written, but didn't really "love" the last book.

With the Twilight series, I loved the first 3, wasn't so keen on the last one. Not to spoil it, but I think the characters were changed too much.
I don't want to start any fights or any thing, that's just my opinions. icon_lol.gif

Both JK Rowling & Stephanie Meyers were able to do something that hasn't been done before (at least from what I can remember) but they got a whole new generation to read. I wish I had an ounce of their creativitity. And for those mom's, it's a great way to have something in common with you kids, regardless if your a HP fan or a Twilight fan or both.
thumbs_up.gif

And if I'm reading something that I really like, my house work doesn't get done.....and we order pizza!! icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif

janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm
post #23 of 395

Cakes22 - I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!! I thought the last book was really good, but not as good as the first 3! And since we're "going there" - I hated Bella in the movie! She is not the Bella that I pictured in my head from the book. So there - I said it! icon_biggrin.gif

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #24 of 395

I had to laugh when I saw this post because I just watched the movie for the first time this past weekend. I LOVED IT!! I'm a little embarrased to say that I actually watched it 5 times over the whole weekend. I know, I need to get a life. LOL Of course I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday and bought the first 2 books. I'm sure I will be done with them both by this weeekend. I am officially a "Twilight" fan!!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:51am
post #25 of 395

[quote="fabulosity"]Oh how I LOVE those books...and I did not think that I would. I found the second one a hard read, because I did not like the dynamic between Bella and Jacob. tapedshut.gif But the 4th book blew me away! icon_biggrin.gif

I felt that way too I struggled a bit until I was sure Bella and Edward would get back together and then the Jacob thing wasn't so bad. I wish she would right another one, with how Renesme grows up and her relationship with Jacob and how her parents cope... there are so many ways she could take this forward.... I've really got withdrawl symptoms.

janelwaters Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #26 of 395

ME TOOO!!! Every book I have read since just isn't very good. I need more Edward!!

cakes22 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:16pm
post #27 of 395

Jacob vs. Edward??? Edward hands down.
I can't wait til the new movie comes out. I would love to see how the make Jacob grow up & change.
Another book would be interesting but when your writing about characters who never die, where do you stop?
icon_confused.gif

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #28 of 395

Yes, the books are great and #4 is amazing...I've re-read it a few times now. I wasn't so keen on the movie. I didn't like the actress that played Bella either, and some of the other acting was laughable (is that a word), but I loved the book so much I warmed up to it during the second viewing.

I'm not that keen on the second book, but hope they do a better job with the second movie.

thepinklotusstore Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #29 of 395

Hahaha, ok I'm a grown woman (27)and in the last week I've acquired a Twilight t-shirt with the Cullen Crest on it, TEAM EDWARD hands down!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!! And also bought 2 keychains one with Edward's picture on it, and one with Edward and Bella's pic, to put on my school bookbag and my keychain!! Am I crazy?? hahaha one girl in Math gave me THE LOOK, and said, now that's just teenager behavior!! LMAO But what can I say, I'm totally obsessed now... icon_redface.gif
PS: I agree, Bella in the movie hmmmm, all I can say is that I should've played her!!! ROFL

janelwaters Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #30 of 395

LMAO!! that is so funny!!! I'm 34 and have had to stop myself from getting "Twilight" happy!! haha!!

I hope they recast bella - but I'm sure they won't, if they do, I'd vote for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%