I'm Afraid..very Afraid....of Gumpaste!

Decorating By abra526 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm by abra526

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I just now started working with fondant, and getting comfortable with it. I have never worked with gumpaste, never even touched the stuff. My best friend in the whole world is pregnant, and all I can think about are ideas for her shower cake! How difficult is gumpaste to work with? What consistency is it? I see all these adorable cakes, and many of them have gumpaste accents, so I just thought I'd see what I was getting myself into. Thanks!

4 replies
skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 5

Don't be afraid icon_smile.gif It's very easy to work with. Make sure you roll it very thin, when you make your flowers/decorations.

Use confectioners sugar to keep it from sticking to your board, table, or whatever you use to roll it out on. I like to put my decorations on a piece of thin shaping foam before I use my ball and veining tool to ruffle the edges.
Gumpaste dries very fast and hard, so that is the advantage to working with it.

Have fun!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, like skeet1zp said, Don't be afraid! Its easy to work with. I wouldn't recommend using gumpaste alone as it dries out really quickly. Mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant. The consistancy is like elastic. When you use it, make sure you take enough paste out and keep the rest in a plastic bag. If you keep all the paste out, it will go hard.

If you want to know how to make flowers, tonedna's videos are fantastic! Here is a link for her videos,

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tonedna1&view=videos

If you want to make little animals, aine2 is the best. Here is the link to her website, and she even have tutorials where you can buy online!

http://extraicingonthecake.com/#/welcome/4530751764

If you click on " Free aine2's how to", you will find all the information there. Even how to make the paste to make the models!

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

I love Aine2's videos. She's very good.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 5

I knew you guys would come through for me! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%