Gah.... Total Rant!

Business By chutzpah Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm by Chef_Stef

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 19

Arggghhhh!

I have a cell phone. It is NOT my business phone, it is a personal phone, registered to me and not my business. I have a 'real' phone at the bakery.

I left my cell phone at work last night (Friday), on the charger.

I get to work early this morning (bakery is open 10-16 on Saturdays) and do preparations and make cuppies and stock the cases and get ready to open.

I take my cell phone off the charger right before I open (about ten to ten)and notice that I have a message on the answering service, left Friday night at 10.53 pm. Listen to the message and it turns out to be someone wanting to order a cake with a Godfather theme, sculpted horsehead, for 12 people (yeah, right), to be picked up Saturday at noon. In two hours. They tried to order a cake 14 hours before delivery, and at a time when I was in bed asleep.

Obviously, they called the store and when no one answered (well, duh.... ten to eleven at night, duh), probably looked at my website, found my name and googled the white pages to look up my home phone or cell number.

I didn't feel like talking to this idiot, so I just sent a text saying that it was too short of notice and that I'd be happy to make a cake at another time for them, providing they order at least several weeks in advance. I also left the phone number to the shop.

People are just so darned dumb.

18 replies
KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 19

Well look at the bright side, they liked your work well enough to call you. lol But I totally agree with the way you got back to them. I would NEVER assume that by leaving a message like that with that short of notice that I would be guaranteed to get what I ordered. I mean come on, where's peoples manners?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 19

I'm sorry ... what part of your body did they expect you to pull that cake out of? icon_confused.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 19

WAIT WAIT WAIT

You mean to tell me you don't keep a stock of sculpted horsehead cakes JUST IN CASE???? icon_surprised.gif

I thought that was the first rule of having a bakery: "Owner must keep a stock of insanely specific cake shapes, flavors and colors just in case some lame-o decides to place an order while drunk-dialing." icon_confused.gif

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 19

As Miley Cyrus says it best..... WHA!??? icon_eek.gif

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 19

It sounds like this guy had too many to drink on a friday night! I think half the time people must think that there is a cake pan for every shape and it only takes ten min. to decorate. Go to Wal-mart!!!!!!!!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendee

As Miley Cyrus says it best..... WHA!??? icon_eek.gif

I believe that's

"Severly deluded Godfather fan say WHAT???"

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 19

LOL! jillmakescakes you are SO hillarious!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #9 of 19

I bet he's related to the lady who called our office phone (which is in the office, which is in the house, right next to the living room) at 8:30 p.m. tonight. We're sitting on the couch, hanging with the fam, and the answering machine goes off. She listens to the evening message, which CLEARLY SAYS "Thanks for calling. Our office hours are 8-6, blah blah blah, please leave a message."

And THEN she still says that... she's sitting at the old mailing address we used to have, which was the UPS store where we get our mail (duh), which moved several blocks down the street about 2 YEARS AGO, so now we have a new mailing address. Anyhow, this nut says, "Well, I'm sitting outside #1111 Main Street, which it SAYS is your address, and it looks like it's just an empty building, and I need to find you. Please call me."

We're like WTF? Who goes out at 8:30 AT NIGHT ON A FRIDAY, to try and find firewood at a retail center. Did she think we'd actually BE OPEN?? At 8 pm? Are we Home Depot??? I wanted to answer the phone, just to hang up on her. Idiot.

I'm just glad we don't have our biz phone linked to our home--or these crazies would probably be ringing the doorbell on Sunday at 7 a.m., "Hi, where's the firewood yard?" --(hint: it's not at our house!)

bleh

It must be dumb people night.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:01am
post #10 of 19

We live in a small town and everyone knows my husband because he grew up here. When he opened our computer store, people would call us at MIDNIGHT (or later) to ask him how to set up e-mail accounts, how to use IM, complain that their internet was down, you name it.

Also, our apartment was over our storefront, which was on Main Street. Yep, you guessed it. If it was after hours or we didn't answer the phone, they'd come right on upstairs.

I remember once, when I was 9 months pregnant, a man was wanting me to tell my husband to do something to his computer that was illegal (don't remember what). I said "Joe won't do that." He said, "He'll do it for me. I KNOW HIM!" I was like "Oh yeah, well, I said he WON'T do it and I think I 'KNOW' him better than you do."

indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

We live in a small town and everyone knows my husband because he grew up here.

This is one reason I like having moved from our small town to "the big city".

2 stories:
Father-in-law owned a mechanics garage for 60 years. Hubby did NOT work at the family business. We came home one day and had 4 messages on our machine from a guy who wanted to bring his car in on Monday. The first one was "please call me". By the time he gets to the 4th one, he's saying "I've been waiting all day for you to call me back and I need to know NOW!" Hey buddy! This is my HOME! On a SUNDAY! And we're NOT HOME!!! Kiss my a$$!

Another day, I was home and the phone rang. A guy asking for hubby to see if he could bring the car in to the garage on Monday. I said, "Phil doesn't work at the garage. You'll have to call the garage on Monday."
Caller: Yeah, but I just need to know if they can get to it on Monday.
Me: I have no idea. I'm not the garage secretary. You'll have to call the garage on Monday.
Caller: Well, will they be able to work on it?
Me: I dont' keep the garage calendar AT MY HOME. You'll have to call the garage on Monday.

I hear later that he told the guys at the garage that I was "no help!" to him. Well f*ck him!!! He called MY HOME wanting to conduct business with someone who doesn't even work at the business!! Kiss my a$$ twice! icon_mad.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 19

HaHaHa!
indydebi , your my fave!!!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 19

My dad is a dentist. Growing up patients would call the house because of a tooth ache or whatever. I would answer the phone and they would ask for Dr _____. He's not here right now can I take a message. Well this is so and so and my tooth is hurting and describes the pain. Do you know what is wrong? UMMMMMMMMMMMMM hello I am a 12 year old girl. I have no idea what the heck is wrong with your tooth.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #14 of 19

Can someone really find out our cell phone # by "googling" it? That totally sucks thumbsdown.gif Sometimes I really hate computers..........except without them there would be no CC.

indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Can someone really find out our cell phone # by "googling" it? That totally sucks thumbsdown.gif Sometimes I really hate computers..........except without them there would be no CC.

People who have myspace, facebook, etal, who may have put their cell number on there can be found that way. If the cell phone is listed on any website (mine is but it's my business phone anyway), then the cell number can be found.

If you've listed your cell phone as a contact number on anything on line, it MIGHT show up in a search, depending on how in depth the search is.

Info in = info that can be found.

-----------------------------

I always get a chuckle at the periodic mass-emails that go out "warning" people that their phone number and home address can be found on the 'net "....unless you have an unlisted number." Well, duh, people, they can still find this info without the 'net just by calling information!

When I sold life insurance, every time I'd go into a small town, I'd pop over to the Chamber's office to get a map of the city ... and I could find anyone's house anywhere, anytime. so the Chamber of Commerce was giving me directions right to your house. Bill collectors and salesmen used reverse number phone books to find people.

It's not a new internet thing .... we've been able to find people for years.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

WAIT WAIT WAIT

You mean to tell me you don't keep a stock of sculpted horsehead cakes JUST IN CASE???? icon_surprised.gif

I thought that was the first rule of having a bakery: "Owner must keep a stock of insanely specific cake shapes, flavors and colors just in case some lame-o decides to place an order while drunk-dialing." icon_confused.gif

Too funny! There's my laugh for the day!!

chutzpah, did the guy ever call back?

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #17 of 19

Aw, see now I feel bad!

I accidentally called my kid's doctor on his cell phone late at night last week! I have to give him credit - he did call back, making sure everything was ok, since I didn't leave a message!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 19

in the last couple of weeks i've had customers stop by my house!

my house is 3 miles from the shop....

it makes me wonder what happens if you have the shop on the same property as your home, will people just come knocking any time they dang well please?...i really like my privacy!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 19

We have a firewood yard that is 40 minutes from our house. One day a few years ago, this guy called on Sunday night (not answering the phone, thanks) and left a message at 8 p.m that he needed to order wood. Then he called at like 6:30 a.m. on Monday, and (again) I'm not in the office till 9. So he called a few more times...

Then... about 9:10 a.m., this guy rings my DOORBELL. I open it in my bathrobe, thinking he's a realtor or he's lost or something (dumb, I know). He starts ripping into me about "Why aren't you answering your phone!? I've been calling and calling." After I finished staring at him like he was from another planet (who KNOWS how he found our address), I told him to GO BACK HOME AND CALL ME, and I would get him scheduled. Get OFF my porch, di--head. I wanted to whack him with a broom, or tell him he had the wrong address.

Needless to say, we don't do business with him anymore--he was a pia to deal with every time.

Did you ever hear back from the horse head order guy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%