Calling All Buttercream Queens -- I Need Advice, Please

Decorating By JGMB Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm by SeriousCakes

JGMB Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

I need yet another solution to one of my (many icon_redface.gif ) decorating problems. How do I get a beaded border to have rounded beads? Mine always come to points -- see the photo below of my latest attempt.

Is it the icing consistency? Should I be pulling away differently?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks! Julie
LL

8 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

PRess them down lightly with your finger. I will pipe side 1 with the dots; then pipe side 2. then go back and moosh down the side 1 dots. then put on side 3 dots. then moosh side 2 dots. etc.

kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 9

You are not releasing the pressure on your piping bag when you pull away after squeezing icon_smile.gif
Squeeze, stop pressure - **count to 5** then pull away with a swirl movement. (Make like you are writing a comma.) That will wipe away any point there might be.
The counting give you a mental break so you actually stop pressure.

icer101 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9

kakeladi.. to the rescue.. i agree with her..

CakeMakar Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 9

You can also get rid of the tips with a dampened (not wet!) paint brush.

JGMB Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much, everybody!!! I'm trying really hard to improve. I'm baking practice cakes for anyone within the sound of my voice who will agree to take one. icon_wink.gif So, you'll probably be seeing me begging for advice again soon.

I appreciate all of your input!

kimmy37 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 9

I, too, am bad about releasing pressure before pulling away. Like the comma advice....gonna try that! I usually just wait a couple of minutes and dab my finger in powdered sugar or cornstarch and tap the point to flatten it.

kelleym Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 9

I always do my bead borders with the exact same motion as a shell border, ie: tip to the side, so there is never any risk of a "nipple" on them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=263023

SeriousCakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 9

I just taught a class (yay my second!!) today, I told them 'Squeeze, stop squeezing, and pull'. That seemed to work well for them icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%