What's You Favorite Fondant?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm by BeeBoos-8599_

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 45

I personally luv satin ice, but it's so darn expensive to have it shipped to my house. Looking for good fondant at a reasonable price. Let me know what you use. Thanks icon_smile.gif

44 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 45

Well, I don't know about store bought, but if you're up to making it yourself, Marshmallow fondant or Michele Foster's Fondant are my two favorites. icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 45

i buy renshaw regal ice, which i beleive is a UK product, since im from the UK lol! never tried satin ice, but renshaws is my fave icon_smile.gif X

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 45

I made Toba Garrett's fondant today and it taste good and is easy to work with. A lot of folks say that Michele Foster's is even better so I'm going to try that one next.

All of the commercial fondants, with the exception of Choco-Pan, taste like chemicals. It amazes me the number of people who think Satin Ice taste good. Choco-Pan is even more expensive than the others, but definitely worth it if you can get it.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 45

I like Pettinice... but as far as homemade goes, I like Toba Garrett's too. Funny how so many people like Choco Pan, I think it is SO difficult to work with!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 45

I have never had any luck with mmf, but I love Satin Ice because I find it so easy to work with. With that being said I rarely have orders for cakes with fondant, because no one really likes the taste of it..........if there is a brand that is super yummy I would love to know because I would way rather make fondant cakes than buttercream icon_wink.gif

jenniferchristman78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferchristman78 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 45

Fondarific fondant is incredible!!! I checked out the website www.fondarific.com and they sent me samples. I only paid for shipping and handling. The sample flavors were: strawberry (which tastes like starburst), lemon (which is awesome!), vanilla, chocolate and buttercream. I rolled it out to see how easy it was and it rolled out great without powdered sugar. My husband even liked it!

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 45

To cover cakes, I only use Pettinice. It has a nice light marshmallow taste. I will use Satin Ice pre-colored fondant when I need deep or vibrant colors. I've made my own fondant twice....regular and marshmallow. I don't have the time to invest in making it, I work full time, teach cake decorating and have cake orders every weekend. I need the convenience of pre-made and great tasting Pettinice!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 45

Can you use Michele Foster's Fondant on cookies?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 45

I use Satin Ice now - it's just easier than making MMF - but if I've got a lot of free time - MMF it is.

I do not like ChocoPan at all. I was using it the other day and couldn't get over how soft it is with very little kneading. I was only using it for cookies, so can't imagine how I would have gotten it on a cake.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #11 of 45

thats pretty awesome about fondarifics samples, i'll look into that. Dcabrera, just curious, how much did it cost you total to have the satin ice shipped? i live in northern idaho so i too deal with high shipping fees etc.. (its like we're in a whole nother country lol)

tonimarie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #12 of 45

jenniferchristman78....did you have to contact them and ask specifically for samples? I just looked at the website and didn't see any samples, but I am soo interested. The flavors look yummy! TIA

jenniferchristman78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferchristman78 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #13 of 45

I went to the website. Go to shopping cart and click on it. The next page has all of the product and you can add the samples to your shopping cart.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

jenniferchristman78....did you have to contact them and ask specifically for samples? I just looked at the website and didn't see any samples, but I am soo interested. The flavors look yummy! TIA

Okay, you didn't ask me, but I got the sample too - you have to actually hit "my shopping cart" or whatever in the top left corner and then it's the last choice. It was 6.05 for me shipping and handling.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #15 of 45

Renshaws Regalice from the UK.
Colour wise i couldn't get better. Very true colours that do not fade or seperate.
Usage wise - doesn't crimp and can be rolled as thin as you like without tearing.

Bh.

mjballinger Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #16 of 45

Also, a year ago I would have said Choco-Pan is my favorite. It still is, in taste. But it's expensive and sometimes tempermental to work with.
I've been making Michelle Foster's fondant with white chocolate added and I LOVE IT!! The taste is great, the workability is awesome. It's a little extra work, but not nearly as messy as marshmallow fondant to make.
I've tried Fondariffic and it was easy to use and the taste of the chocolate and the buttercream flavors was great but I found the texture to look almost plastic -y. Especially the colors.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #17 of 45

Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant.
Reasonably priced ingredients and easy to make.
Tastes great.
Super easy to work with. thumbs_up.gif

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #18 of 45

i just ordered the sample from fondarifics. i cant wait to try it

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #19 of 45

Is the fondarific colored? I cant figure out if it's colored to match the flavor, or if it's all white...
Oh, and I love Satin Ice! It's great straight out of the bucket and if you order online, the price isnt bad at all. It's definitely worth it to me to have consistent workable fondant that I dont have to make myself icon_smile.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

Also, a year ago I would have said Choco-Pan is my favorite. It still is, in taste. But it's expensive and sometimes tempermental to work with.
I've been making Michelle Foster's fondant with white chocolate added and I LOVE IT!! The taste is great, the workability is awesome. It's a little extra work, but not nearly as messy as marshmallow fondant to make.
I've tried Fondariffic and it was easy to use and the taste of the chocolate and the buttercream flavors was great but I found the texture to look almost plastic -y. Especially the colors.

How much white chocolate are you adding and at what stage? I am also curious if there is a way to make Michele's fondant with brown chocolate. Thanks!

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #21 of 45

I still love Satin Ice , I'm willing to pay a little extra for good premade fondant and it never disapoints me!! But I really am curious about the fondarific samples though!!

mjballinger Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

How much white chocolate are you adding and at what stage? I am also curious if there is a way to make Michele's fondant with brown chocolate. Thanks!

I add it when I add the corn syrup and stuff. I used between 1/2 lb. and 3/4 lb.. Yes, there is a way to make milk chocolate. I found the recipe here: http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Fondant-352379

I'm going to make the one with cocoa tomorrow since the white chocolate has been so great! I have to make a cake for Brownies, so the brown color will be awesome.

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #23 of 45

I just ordered my samples and can't wait to get them. I've been using Satin Ice for the longest but recently I tried Fondx and its taste awesome.

dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

thats pretty awesome about fondarifics samples, i'll look into that. Dcabrera, just curious, how much did it cost you total to have the shipped? i live in northern idaho so i too deal with high shipping fees etc.. (its like we're in a whole nother country lol)

GenGen,
It costs me $30 for shipping on a $45 for a 20lb bucket= $75. This dreadful economey is kicking my a$$.

dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:35am
post #25 of 45

Yikes! Fondarific is more than double the price of Satin ice.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:21am
post #26 of 45

I think $75 for 20 lbs is a good deal, remember wilton fondant is like 6.99 a lb. if you dont have a coupon

dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

I think $75 for 20 lbs is a good deal, remember wilton fondant is like 6.99 a lb. if you dont have a coupon

I guess I never really knew how expensive it was icon_sad.gif

tonimarie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:13pm
post #28 of 45

Thank you.........I'm so going to order some and can't wait until they get there icon_wink.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #29 of 45

Fondarific will deliver to Canada.
$6.50 for the shipping

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:06am
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

I think $75 for 20 lbs is a good deal,

for my budget its not, sorry- no offense meant. guess i'll stick with learning how to work with mmf. i just cant afford to practice on alot of cakes i don't get reimbursed for. i'd probably be better skilled then i am now lol. ah well not complaining. i grew up learning to work with what i have, my kids have done the same (oops digressing hehe) and i figure things will work out icon_smile.gif but i do keep my options open and i explore new ideas JUst in case (grins)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%