Weighing Scale Revelation - This Is For Everyone

Decorating By KoryAK Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm by KoryAK

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 7

So I love the scale I have. It's an Escali I got for like $20, weighs up to 11 pounds, does pounds/oz, just ounces, and grams, tares, and does negative weighing. Way better than the Cuisinart one I used to have that was $75. Yesterday I was on Amazon and looking for a scale that would hold more (now that I have a shop) and was all set to buy one that went to 22# for about $150.... then I realized that:

SHIPPING SCALES DO ALL THE SAME THINGS FOR A WHOLE LOT LESS!

I ended up buying this model

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EVMV3S/?tag=cakecentral-20

for $30 that does all the same things my current scale does for up to 75#! And the sensitivity is the same as my current scale (.2oz)

So everyone... no more buying "kitchen" scales, just "shipping" ones!

(the only argument I can see is that kitchen scales may be sealed better and made from food grade plastic, but I keep my scale in a ziplock anyway for no cleanup so this is not an issue)

Go forth and buy!

(also Amazon is having a buy 4 for 3 deal that is great!)

6 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

That's a really great idea. Next time my kitchen scale breaks (which happens often), I'll look into replacing it with a shipping scale. Thanks for the tip!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:48am
post #3 of 7

*thonk* why didn't I think of that! Image

That IS a great tip! Because you know what I try use my Escali kitchen scale for sometimes?? Shipping! It's a major PITA to read the weight though when you are weighing a 9x12" envelope icon_biggrin.gif.

I noticed that the name of the product even says Weighmax 75 Lb Electronic Digital Postal Shipping Kitchen Scale.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif Congrats. Shipping scales read more precise measurments. If your just doing cakes don't waste the $$$. I have a Peolouze (SP) it takes ALOT of abuse.

Mike

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

(the only argument I can see is that kitchen scales may be sealed better and made from food grade plastic, but I keep my scale in a ziplock anyway for no cleanup so this is not an issue)

Go forth and buy!

Hey KoryAK thanks for the headsup about the shipping scale and this great piece of info. I'm going to go put my scale in a ziplock right now!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 7

faulous tips!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

Wanted to give a heads up about the scale I got... it's reliable and all but it has a (what I thought was going to be a lovely) feature where it "holds" the display while you move the item away so you can better see the reading. Unfortunately, this is not an option, but something that happens for 10 seconds every time the reading stabilizes for a moment. So for kitchen weighing where you are adding, adding, adding it gets really annoying. All the Weighmax products look like they have this feature. At least I only spent $30 on it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%