Any Tips For Covering A Ball Shape Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By beenzee Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm by MissRobin

beenzee Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 9

I recently did a basketball cake using the wilton sports ball pan. It came out ok, but lots of room for improvement! I had a lot of excess fondant around the bottom and wrinkles. Any tips??

8 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 9

I've never done one personally, but I did read on here where someone said to elevate your cake on a wide can, so it's stable and the fondant can hand straight down. Then make sure that the fondant you roll out if substantially bigger than you will need, to help with pleating, and also roll it thicker than you usually would, to allow for all the extra stretching and smoothing that you will be doing. HTH

beenzee Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for that!
Any other tips/techniques greatly appreciated!

plbennett_8 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

On the one that I did today, I found that elevating it caused the fondant to stretch "down" too much and want to tear... But, it might just be me... I put it on the counter, pulled the fondant...kind of..."out" away from the ball, cut off the bulk of the excess, and then picked it up and held it in the palm of my hand... Then I started gently smoothing down the fondant. I still had some creasing, and one small area that tore... I think that it's going to be a matter of practice...

I will be watching this thread with interest. I wonder if the "big" ball is easier, or harder to cover???

Pat B.

beenzee Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 9

anyone, anyone?

ski Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 9

The last one I did was a good size so I pieced it together and used a fondant smoother , it still had som lumping at the bottom , but it was at the bottom which was gonna be the base anyway. Oh I also pinched my fondant pieces together and finger smooth b/f using the smoother. it took quite a bit of time, and you do have to work fast b/f the fondant starts to harde, so I used crisco on my fingers.

fondantgirl Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 9

I like to roll my fondant on the thin seems to be easier to smooth it out and adhere to the icing. Less bunching and wrinkling this way i have found. I don't elevate mine cause it does seem that gravity works and starts pulling at the top of the fondant and wants to tear. You just have to pull the fondant gently away from the cake and then start working from the top to the bottom slowly going around the cake. You do have to be somewhat patient but work quickly also lol if that makes any sense! Hope this helps a little. Also I have seen 2 techniques used covering a ball cake but I prefer the one that you drape the whole thing over the cake and work your way down versus wrapping the fondant around and try to smooth out the joint seem. Techniques can be found in debbie brown magical cake book and elisa strauss kids cake book.

Justbeck101 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:02am
post #8 of 9

I have no idea if this would work, I have never tried it. But, you could try forming the fondant over the ball pans first. Then when it is dry enough you could place one side at a time on the ball. you would have a small seam that you could fill with royal that matches.

MissRobin Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 9

The main thing with doing a ball and fondant is to be patient, work slowly and methodically. Lay your fondant over the ball, do not elevate ( always tears for me), and start at the top and slowly work your way down. Just pull and lift and smooth as you go down, it is kind of like when you get to the bottom of a round tier, only it is much more pronounced. The main thing is to work your way down from top to bottom smoothing as you go down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%