Another Question Re. Chocolate Transfers

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm by DianeLM

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 5

RE: this cake again: http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/2006/06/ss_100444965.jpg

I found a chocolate transfer almost just like it and read the instructions, seems okay...

However it looks like they created flowers out of the transfers, too. But according to the instructions, you put liquid chocolate on the transfer, and then let it harden completely. So how would they make the flowers and stuff?

ALSO how did they get the transfers to sit so high up off the top of the cake, without the liquid chocolate running down?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 5

It's not chocolate transfers. It's chocolate clay (possibly with a pattern transferred onto it.)

Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

It's not chocolate transfers. It's chocolate clay (possibly with a pattern transferred onto it.)

How do you transfer a pattern to the clay? It looked like clay to me too but then how does the transfer work? (Yikes I have her tasting here in 20 minutes! haha)

Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 5

Oh wait....more research....looks like the cake can be done with chocolate...but maybe they make the roses from clay and then carefully add the transfer with an additional thin layer of chocolate???

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

I don't know how to transfer a pattern onto chocolate clay. I've never tried it.

And I can't say for sure that's what was done on this cake. As has been discussed many times before, the decorator who developed this technique has been quite tight-lipped about it.

I do know there are instructions somewhere for applying a transfer to fondant. That might work on chocolate clay.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%