Using Cutters For Fondant Letters - Help!

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 2:10am by drakegore

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 18

I have the Wilton set of small metal cutters, alphabets and numbers. I'm using Toba Garrett's fondant. I need to cut out some words, but the fondant sticks to the metal so badly I can't get the letters out. I've tried PS, cornstarch, and crisco, nothing works icon_cry.gif . Help!! Any suggestions?

17 replies
sugarshack Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 18

first of all, that set of cutters stinks, IMO. sorry but its true, lol

add some tylose to your fondnat, roll it out and let it sit about 30 minutes before you cut your letters. that should help some.

HTH

bashini Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 18

You might have to add a little bit of Tylose/ CMC powder to fodnant to make it a bit stiff. Or if you have gumpaste, mix same amounts of fondant and gumpaste. Use a bit of crisco to nead it. Then it will be easy to cut the letters. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 18

I don't have too much trouble with this cutter set - my bugbear are those d**m tappit cutters - I loathe them with every fibre of my being lol! If you roll the fondant thinly and just bang the Wilton cutters they should come out OK.

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks everybody!! I'm giving your suggestions a try.

Reganlynn Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 18

I have these and have learned through many trials with them. Roll out the fondant pretty thin, let it sit to harden a bit. Punch the letters you want, let it sit again and then get them out. Cornstarch on the cutters helps too! Good Luck!

m1m Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 18

I have them too and do exactly what ReganLynn said.

They always work fine for me.

amyfj1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 18

I hate the Wilton letter cutters too. I went to the Sculpey/clay section and found a slightly larger set of letter cutters. These work great and you can punch the letters out with the end of a small paint brush if the letter sticks. I love these cutters so much and use them on everything.

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 18

Success thumbs_up.gif ! I added a bit of Tylose, rolled the fondant out, let it sit to dry a bit, then punched out my letters. It worked icon_biggrin.gif ! Thank you so much, all of you. This is the 2nd time in 2 days I've had to turn to CCers for help and they've come through. I love this community party.gif !

ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I don't have too much trouble with this cutter set - my bugbear are those d**m tappit cutters - I loathe them with every fibre of my being lol! If you roll the fondant thinly and just bang the Wilton cutters they should come out OK.

Have you ever tried the technique Aine2 uses? I just mentioned her video to someone on this thread http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622499.html

By the way that is not a rhetorical question. HAVE you ever tried it her way? I want to know! Because you know she makes everything look soooo easy icon_smile.gif. I have always considered investing in a set of tappits but I am worried I will not be as successful as she is at removing the letters. Curious to know of others' experience.

As for the Wilton ones, I have finally gotten the hang of those. Except for the B, that letter is a real bugger. I hate those stupid letters anyway, they have no character, but right now they're all I have. I LOVE the FMM "funky letters" but they are so huge.

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 18

This is the cake I was using the fondant and letter cutters on:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1330353&done=1

My apple doesn't look much like an apple and I don't think this is outstanding, but I guess it isn't bad. I worked really hard on this. Thanks everybody for all your help!

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #12 of 18

LOL, the tappits are frustrating until you learn how. I have not used Annie's technique. Watching it now but I can tell you just the other day I decided to use my Tappits for the first time. What a mess. Then I remembered Tonedna had a video on youtube.

Following her method I LOVE my tappits. You must get the fondant thin enough that it doesn't smoosh all the way through the letters.
The crisco on the bottom keeps the letters from pulling up into the tappits.
I did do a light dusting of cornstarch on top of the fondant to help the whole process. I LOVE my tappits.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:22am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:

Have you ever tried the technique Aine2 uses? I just mentioned her video to someone on this thread http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622499.html

By the way that is not a rhetorical question. HAVE you ever tried it her way? I want to know! Because you know she makes everything look soooo easy icon_smile.gif. I have always considered investing in a set of tappits but I am worried I will not be as successful as she is at removing the letters. Curious to know of others' experience.

As for the Wilton ones, I have finally gotten the hang of those. Except for the B, that letter is a real bugger. I hate those stupid letters anyway, they have no character, but right now they're all I have. I LOVE the FMM "funky letters" but they are so huge.

LOL! Yes, I have and I just end up with letters all over the room - those things can really fly! I've tried all the tricks and we just don't get on with each other. I'm grateful that I do a large number of kids cakes where I can use bigger and more easy to use cutters lol!

ceshell Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:

LOL! Yes, I have and I just end up with letters all over the room - those things can really fly!

tracycakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 18

I've struggled with those metal cutters also. I found for me to roll it thin, let it sit a few minutes and make sure to have plenty of cornstarch on the cutters. It still usually mess them up.

I love using the tappits but I've had a few of them go flying also. I saw Aine2's video before I tried to use them and I'm awful glad I did. I would have NEVER figure out how to use them.

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #16 of 18

hi,
i use the tappit cutters for my fondant letters and i love them. the letters have a lot personality icon_smile.gif. the trick i use to get the letters out, might work for you. i use a very, very light film of crisco on my cutting board before i roll out the fondant. it helps the fondant stick to the board when the cutter is removed. then i let the fondant letter dry for 10-30 minutes so it is more stable when i go to pick it up and put it on the cake. if it is really sticky, i use a bit of cornstarch brushed on the cutters too.

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #17 of 18

hi,
i use the tappit cutters for my fondant letters and i love them. the letters have a lot personality icon_smile.gif. the trick i use to get the letters out, might work for you. i use a very, very light film of crisco on my cutting board before i roll out the fondant. it helps the fondant stick to the board when the cutter is removed. then i let the fondant letter dry for 10-30 minutes so it is more stable when i go to pick it up and put it on the cake. if it is really sticky, i use a bit of cornstarch brushed on the cutters too.

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #18 of 18

hi,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%