Texture On Fondant Basketball - I Found What Works :)

Decorating By plbennett_8 Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 12:07pm by plbennett_8

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

In my search for a texture for a fondant basketball, I found cross stitch grid. icon_smile.gif Here is what it says on the sticker:

Made by: Uniek, Inc.
Quick Count - Plastic Canvas
Raised Grid for easy counting
7 Mesh

I will post a picture later, but it looks great! icon_biggrin.gif

Pat B.

10 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 11

I have posted the picture. icon_smile.gif

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for that info! I will be making a basketball groom's cake and hadn't even thought of how to do the texture. icon_smile.gif

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 11

plbennett_8

Where did you get this item you used to get the pattern on the basket ball. Please share. Thanks.
Love your cake, the impression on the ball makes it so real looking.

plbennett_8 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 11

Thanks icon_smile.gif You can get cross stitch sheets all over the places... I have seen them in Walmart, Michael's, Hobby Lobby... They are over by the sew stuff... They are used for doing cross stitch embrodery. icon_smile.gif The one I got is the size of a sheet of copy paper - 11.5 x 8 - but they come in lots of sizes.

Don't let the fact that I know what they are used for fool you into thinking that I can sew...LOL... icon_wink.gif That was my Mom, and I sure wish that I had paid attention... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the one that I got says, "Raised Grid for Easy Counting".

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 11

Another cool trick is after you apply the texture, brush the fondant with brown powdered food coloring/petal dust ~ it gives the basketball a really authentic look. (That's what I did when I made my basketball cookies.)

I'm constantly amazed at what you can use for texture - seems like the possibilites are endless. icon_smile.gif

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 11

Oh that is such a cool tip! I havent done a sports ball in fondant yet, only in buttercream. With a crusting buttercream I just use a textured paper towel. I never thought about how to do it on a fondant one. I'm so excited now!

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #8 of 11

Thanks! I know one of these is in my future! (I have a 3 yr old boy!)

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:19am
post #9 of 11

I think you want plastic canvas, not what is for cross stitch. That would be a material and plastic canvas is plastic. Two different crafts. Great idea! I never would have thought to use that stuff! That was my first craft when I was a little girl. Gram taught me plastic canvas (one stitch) and then I moved up to cross stitch (two stitches). Ah, the memories of cheesy tissue box covers. icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #10 of 11

Thank You so much for the tip thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I think you want plastic canvas, not what is for cross stitch. That would be a material and plastic canvas is plastic. Two different crafts. Great idea! I never would have thought to use that stuff! That was my first craft when I was a little girl. Gram taught me plastic canvas (one stitch) and then I moved up to cross stitch (two stitches). Ah, the memories of cheesy tissue box covers. icon_smile.gif

Laughing... Shows you what I know about sewing... icon_razz.gif Hey, it's in the sewing "section"...right... icon_rolleyes.gif But yes, it is plastic. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%