Buttercream Icing..what A Disaster!

Decorating By maralin Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm by GenGen

maralin Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 16

As my 2nd class of the Wilton course takes place today.....last nite i decided to make the cake & the b/c icing, that im expected to take to class today...well....well....well..I just think that was a disaster....the b/c icing is too stiff ..it's kind of grainy..... I added more liquid but the instructor wanted some of it to be stiff consistency.....yeah ok!!!!!! It burned my hand mixer!.......Not to mention that I had Powdered sugar all over my kitchen.......So , I think i will stick to the Wilton decorating icing....Has some one used it? What do u think about it!

Any advice???

PS.....I think its just toooo messy trying to make the b/c icing...

15 replies
jammjenks Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 16

The Wilton class icing is tricky. I burned up two hand mixers trying to make that stuff. They want you to use that icing in the class, so just for class I'd probably buy the Wilton premade stuff. Once you're done with classes, experiment with different buttercream icings on here. There are so many and soon you'll find one you love. If you plan to make a lot of cakes, a good stand mixer is the way to go.

debster Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 16

First off I agree with jammiejinks Gotta have a good mixer!!!! A good hand held I found after burning up numerous others is the Duwalt 300 watts it's about 80.00 on amazon.com

Next I agree Wilton Icing Sucks!!!! I use this recipe and it works fine and you can thin it down good.

Mix 4 cups shortening use a good one high ratio if possible. Whip the shortening and add 2tablespoons clear vanilla and 1 teaspoon of butterflavoring or whatever else. You can substitute some butter just omit some of the shortening. There is so much to tell you here from years of baking. After these 3 ingredients are mixed add 1/4 cup hot water to this and keep whipping this helps keep the icing smooth when sugar is added , add one 2lb bag of powdered sugar and whip some more. Then I take about 1/2- 3/4 cup of milk or half and half or even a flavored coffee creamer and add that with the other 2 lbs of sugar.

Hope I'm not confusing you here, this is a double batch I do no single anything here. You'll find this works well just keep whipping and make it as thick or as thin as you like let it sit for 15 minutes then smooth with paper towel VIVA.

maralin Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 16

Hope I'm not confusing you here, this is a double batch I do no single anything here.

thank you!! this recipe sounds so much easier..than that WILTON STUFF!!
I will try this recipe next!! thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 16

hi,

i am got very frustrated with the confectioner's sugar buttercreams. so messy and supersweet, but i was even more unhappy with the texture. i was intimidated by the meringue buttercreams and concerned with the raw eggs. i have found a swiss meringue buttercream recipe that is not only very easy with a fantastic taste, but it is also safe. you mix 5 eggs whites with 1 1/4 cups sugar in your heat safe mixing bowl. then place that bowl in a bowl of gently simmering water (whisking the whole time) until the egg/sugar mixture is at 140 degrees (takes about 3-4 minutes and you can use a cheap candy thermometer). then whip on high for 10 minutes until stiff peaks. then add 4 sticks of butter that have been cut into chucks, on chunk at a time. also add a pinch of salt. can take up to 1/4 cup flavoring.

i also used a hand mixer for a long time until i broke down and bought a mixer. so worth every penny!

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 16

debster, were those measurements right? You use 4 cups of fat to 2 lbs of p.sugar? That's more than twice the fat of what I use. Just checking .....

debster Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 16

Indydebi.............no I use 4cups shortening to 4 pounds sugar. Did you see near the end where I said I add another 2 lbs of sugar. That stuff is killer enough as is................. icon_lol.gif I had to recheck what I wrote I'm on pain killers and could of did that. icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 16

That Wilton canned frosting is disgusting -- even the smell of it!!! I bought a can, thinking it would come in handy if I were in a hurry. Well, I used it the other day, and we ended up scraping it off and just eating the cake underneath.

In its defense, though, it does have a really nice consistency. So, it would be good to use on a practice board in class or something -- as long as no one had to eat it. thumbsdown.gif

peg818 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 16

i think most of us burned up our hand mixers in our first decorating classes. You will find that you do need a good mixer no matter what recipe you decide to use. For your wilton classes, it is best to use the class icing or their canned stuff, cause then the teacher will know what you have done right or wrong with it.

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Indydebi.............no I use 4cups shortening to 4 pounds sugar. Did you see near the end where I said I add another 2 lbs of sugar. That stuff is killer enough as is................. icon_lol.gif I had to recheck what I wrote I'm on pain killers and could of did that. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_redface.gif Nope, I missed that part! Thanks for clarifying for me! icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 16

Eh, try this...I have given this recipe to my Wilton students for the past 11 years. They use it instead of that crappy Wilton recipe. icon_smile.gif

It will work just fine with a hand mixer, up to a double batch.

Link: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7378-3-Cakepros-Buttercream-with-Trans-Fat-Free-Crisco.html

debster Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 16

JGMB..............that's the trouble with Wilton stuff, I LOVE the consistancy of their fondant even over Satin Ice , but Satin Ice is edible Wilton isn't . Now if they could get the taste together with the consistancy they would have a killer recipe. Cake pro I'm looking at your avatar and noticed your the one that inspired me to do the little prince cake that I did, I forgot your name but knew you were from CC. Thanks

Cakepro Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 16

Great job on that cake, debster! icon_smile.gif

Someone else here was the inspiration for the prince cake I did...I think her username is luelue. All of my uploaded photos got wiped out when I ticked off the mods here so I can't look up who I gave credit to. icon_sad.gif

jilld Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 16

drakegore, I have been putting off trying a swiss meringue, and have been doing the Wilton recipe with a 50/50 butter, crisco mix, but yours is intruiging. Is it shelf safe? What flavorings do you use?

I ditto the comments on the stand mixer. I now have two Kitchen Aids and I love them. One is larger than the other and some days I end up using both! Watch for coupons and rebates to get the best deal.

drakegore Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 16

hi jilld,
i was using the butter/crisco buttercream from the whimsical bakehouse but i really hated using crisco (though it did taste pretty good) and i finally forced myself to try the swiss meringue even though the idea of making it completely intimidated me. it can stay outside of the refrigerator for a couple days if covered is what i have read, though that seems to be pushing it to me. i usually refrigerate and then bring it to room temperature before serving. this SMBC is really quite easy to make. just make sure your eggs white and sugar are well mixed before putting them into the simmering water and then whisk constantly for about 3-4 minutes until they attain the 140 degree mark. then whip them up on high for 10 minutes, add the butter...then lastly a pinch of salt and flavoring and you are ready!

my favorite flavorings are lemon curd (i make my own because i am not right in the head, but dickinson's is very good) and melted (and cooled) chocolate. mexican vanilla is another favorite but i force myself to use the artifical clear vanilla if i am needing white or light colored frosting.

GenGen Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 16

oh i Love mexican vanilla.. oh sweet heaven icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%