Why Is My Cake Leaning!!

Decorating By yvette131 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm by indydebi

yvette131 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 11

Help! I made a 3 tiered cake with supported dowels and an hour later it started to lean to the right. what is causing this and what can i do to stop this from ever happening? icon_cry.gif

10 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 11

oh lordy, wish i could answer, ive never done tiers before icon_sad.gif i hope you find your answer!

hallow3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 11

Are you sure your dowels were cut straight and the right height? the right side dowels may be shorter causing it to lean. I cut mine for each side individually to make sure I have it right. I might not have level my cake correctly and it a little off so, I correct it with my dowel size. Hope I explained this right.

yvette131 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 11

yes they were all cut straight, but could it be i didnt put enough on the bottom tier, the two cakes on top of the first one were pretty heavy- but then i would think it would slouch down instead of leaning.

hallow3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 11

What type of dowels did you put in? How many? are you sure the dowels were but in straight and not a bit crooked when inserted? Did you make sure they touched the bottom of the board right? What sized cakes are they? need more information to help you better

yvette131 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for trying to help- but i had to take my cake apart icon_cry.gif because it was tilting even more and i just cant give that to a paying customer. so when i took it apart icon_cry.gif i saw that the cake had shrunk, so now the dowels were sticking up making the cake tilt. I knew this could happen because i buy sugarshacks dvd's, but i've must have overlooked it and didn't cut the dowels short enough. Lessoned learned! Now i have to do most of the cake over since the fondant tore while i was taking the cake apart. icon_sad.gif

jhutch04 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 11

I just had the same thing happened to me with a three tiered cake I made last weekend. I was so upset I was so excited about this cake. It's the one on my profile titled Mom's 50th Luau. I had to put all the extra flowers I made on the cake just to try and cover up the imperfections from it leaning. My boyfriend even propped the one side of the cake up with folded cardboard so it was look straight, and so we had to cover the bottom of the board with leis to cover the cardboard. I was so upset, I made this cake for my mom and the party had over 80 people there so I wanted it to look good, so hopefully I could get more business. Who knows if that will happen. It seems not many people noticed luckily!!! icon_sad.gif

hallow3 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 11

Well, I am sorry that your cake shrunk but one thing is that it is a lesson learned and you probably will never make that mistake again. good luck fixing your fondant, I am so sorry that this happened to you.

kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 11

It is the support system you use that supports the upper tier - not the cake. You state that the cake shrunk so the dowels were sticking up higher than the cake......that is NOT what made it lean.
Did you have a cake board under each upper tier of cake?
If you used just dowels and no cake board that is your problem.

hallow3 said........What type of dowels did you put in? How many? ....the dowels ...put in straight and not a bit crooked when inserted? Did you make sure they touched the bottom of the board right? What sized cakes are they? need more information to help you better......

Yes, we really need you to answer these ?s so we can help you prevent this from happening again.

yvette131 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 11

I used the wilton plastic dowels and yup I had cake boards underneath eachone however the middle tier was a lot heavier then the bottom one. So when I re did it I added an extra layer to the one on the bottom, to make it stonger. I had only put 3 dowels for the bottom, this time I put 6. A big difference the cake is now hoding up just fine.

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 11

Totally agree with kakeladi. It's the dowels, not the cake.

When using wooden dowels, I cut one to length and the cut the others the same length. This guarantees the next tier up will be perfectly level. If you cut them to the height of the cake, you run the risk of a crooked cake unless you are 1000% sure that the lower tier is perfectly level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%