How Do I Make An Initial Cake Topper?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm by misabel99

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:43am
post #1 of 9

i want to make my own initial cake topper like i've seen from this site. how do i do one? do i pipe royal icing and let it dry? i want one of those large cake toppers.

8 replies
aminaz Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #2 of 9

something like this...
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 9

I'd suggest 1/2 and 1/2 gum paste/fondant mixture and form the letters in the style you want. Allow to dry. You may want to add wire to them as part of the forming process so you have a way to attach them to the cake. HTH

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 9

I have only done one of these (in my graduation pics) but I used gumpaste. Print & size the font you want off the computer & lay wax paper taped down on it. Get some slightly bendable wire and work th gumpaste around the wire. I also inserted 3 toothpicks into the bottom when I got it formed to dry so I could insert into the cake. Give it several days to dry. Also, I made 2 of them in case of breakage. HTH

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 9

I have wanted to try this also. Can anybody tell me how long it would last? For instance, could you make it a month or more ahead of time? Thanks

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know if gum paste breaks down, but if the item is protected from light, it should last a very long time. I made the Ark, and then the party was postponed for nearly 8 weeks. I needed to spray sparkle on it, because it had become dull, but other than that, it was perfect.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 9

I made mine probably 6-8 wks ahead and when it dried I just wrapped some plastic wrap over the top of the box so it wouldn't be dusty! I think the gumpaste would prob keep forever!

aminaz Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 9

does anyone have step by step pictures on how its done?

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 9

a tutorial will be great icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%