What Would You Charge { Newbie }

Decorating By kim62808 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm by kim62808

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:52am
post #1 of 8

What would you charge for this cake , I am new to this and plus I just did my cakes for my boys and now it's kinda by word of mouth I have been asked to do many and I am just rambling off 5 , 10 , or 15 dollars I know they are worth more b/c the taste is excellent but the decorating is kinda new . This one is 4 8" square cakes .
LL
LL

7 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:44am
post #2 of 8

I don't sell cakes I just make it for my family but I think the general consensus here would be not to even bother tuning on your stove for $5, $10 or $15. If you keep doing this people are always going to expect these prices. Those prices wouldn't even pay for the ingredients for a cake that I make.

If you want to make a business out of this then you need to sit down and figure out how much your ingredients costs, how much it will cost for electricity/gas etc, insurance and figure out a a rate per hour you think your time is worth. You also need to find out how much cakes are going for in your area. Cake prices vary quite a bit from place to place.

If this cake was made with 2 - 2 layer 8" square cakes then the amount of serving per the Wilton chart would yield 64 servings.

at the prices you mentioned for this cake you would be making the following:

$5 =$.08/serving

$10 = $0.16/serving

$15 = $0.23/serving

Now I don't know what sizes your cakes were that you were quoting for but even if it was for an 8" round then:

$5 = $0.21/serving
$10 = $0.42/serving
$15 = $0.63/serving

I would definitely sit down and go through all the numbers and have a general idea before giving anyone quotes. Figure out a $/serving amount and ask folks how many servings they need look at a serving guide and then give out your quote.

Here's Wilton's guide:

http://cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

HTH, great cake btw!

icon_smile.gif

kim62808 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 8

Well thank you I think at first you want the attention to ur cakes and the bussiness and you def cheat yourself ,, So thank you for the info and the time to write all that ,,,, I will try and get a backbone ,,, I started doing my cakes for my family too and that's when it turned into something I really enjoy doing ,, i have a bit better pics of other cakes but was'nt able to post them on here for some reason ok well thatnks

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 8

"party" servings would be 42 (12 cubic inches) and "wedding" servings would be 64 as previously mentioned. I would charge about $130 plus $30 for the football... but I'm higher end AND in Alaska. Even Safeway is gonna get, what, $25-30 for that many servings. Don't do less than that even when starting out.

kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:03am
post #5 of 8

THANK U KORIAK I WILL TAKE IN THE INFO AND USE IT LATER .... YA OVER HERE PEOPLE ARE CHEAP LOL NOT HIGH END SO I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BUT I KNOW NOW I CANNOT CHARGE ANYLESS THAN 40 B/C I WILL BE PAYING TO MAKE A CAKE ! RIGHT ! thumbs_up.gif

Cakeyladey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeyladey Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 8:27am
post #6 of 8

Kim,
I know exactly where you are coming from that is how I started out as well & trust me you will get taken advantage of... I am in SC & not sure of your location... That looks like alot of cake plus you have a topper set on there as well just from looking I would not even think of doing that cake for any less than $50.00 to $60.00 My suggestion! icon_wink.gif Just a tip here to I was having a hard time figuring out my prices as well with my cost time etc. so, I purchased the Cakeboss software they have on here... It takes alot of time to set up because you add your recipes hrly pay etc. then it tells you how much to charge... This has really made it easier & I can actually see im making more profit now with it... If you are really serious about doing this as a business it's definitely worth the investment... Again, just another suggestion! When you figure it all out let us know what you decide to charge... Curious to see! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 8

I like KHalstead's pricing chart, it makes sense to me where so many others go over my head. See this thread - http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615948-matrix.html

kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 8

Well thanks CAKEYLADY ! I checked it out I like that to but I could not see myself charging that much yet but I know I will have to eventualey if I am seriouse about doing this . Witch I love it ! I am from Tx Dallas area ,, but in a smaller town ,, witch is good everyone knows eachother . But anyhow ok talk laters GIRLS .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%