3.13.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 6:54am by Sarsi

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #31 of 63

Oh thank you so much........I just sent my DD a text and asked her to bring her digital camera home tomorrow. It's pretty bad when the kids have one and I don't! icon_lol.gif

Is the party for your hubby a surprise? The cake sounds delicious, my DH would love that!

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #32 of 63

Well technically I'm not working on a cake but I have a strawberry swirl cheesecake in the oven for my son't 25th birthday celebration tomorrow.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #33 of 63

dkelly, that is an amazing cake!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #34 of 63

That teapot cake is fantastic!

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #35 of 63

Wow, my first Friday night post and it looks like everyone is going to sleep! I only just covered my cakes with fondant and stacked them, haven't even gotten to the fun part yet! I'm doing a baby shower cake, which is great timing with the contest going on. I haven't done any cakes in a while, so it's taking me longer than usual since I have to schlep out all my stuff. Hopefully it will come out ok - the theme is daisies and dragonflies, to match the baby bedding. Butter cake with raspberry syrup and dark ganache filling...mmm...it's been hard not to sample the scraps, but I don't want to undo the work I did at the gym this morning! Well, I guess I should get back to it or I'll be up all night.

Deb - your tea set is gorgeous!!

Luv_to - your cake has me craving TGI Friday's Creamsicle Dream drink. Good thing I don't have any of the mix in my liquor cabinet, or I'd be having one right now (and this cake would never get done!). ; )

Have a good night, everyone!
Bec

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #36 of 63

Not a surprise. Knew I couldn't keep him from finding out. I tried to keep it a secret as long as I could but friends called last Sunday and he knew something was up because she never calls me. He doesn't want the party but I love to entertain and I think a 60th should be celebrated. I got a lot of old pictures from his Mom and I scanned them and I am going to run them on my computer as a slide show. That will be fun. We grew up together so I have known him since I was 6 years old.

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #37 of 63

dkelly....Gorgeous tea set!!!!

I_heart.....I am here! I am here! I am here! (We watched the old version of "Horton hears a Who" tonight....)

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #38 of 63

luv_to .... Wow - knowing your sweetie since you were 6....that is awesome!

luv_to_decorate Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #39 of 63

I-Heart. I drank a bottle icon_rolleyes.gif of spumante while I was working in the kitchen and had nacho cheese dip with chips for my dinner. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:53am
post #40 of 63

You guys made my night, thank you so much for the nice complements!

luv to decorate.......It's my SIL's 60th too, she was born on the 18th. Her 2 daughters are giving her a surprise party at a restaurant tomorrow night. She's a huge tea drinker so I thought she'd like the tea set. Hopefully my brother hasn't told her about the party yet, he's awful about keeping secrets from her.

I love the idea of the picture slideshow, that will be great.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:57am
post #41 of 63

(parts beaded doorway, walks in... amazed by this thread)

Hey there Deb~ Holy Schneikey! That cake is gorgeous! They are going to LOVE it...

luv_to_decorate Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #42 of 63

dkelly hope your SIL enjoys her birthday. I know she will love the cake. My hubby's birthday was the 12th. One of my grandson's was the 11th and the other one is the 25th. I am going to attempt to make the Guitar Hero cake for him. I have to start on that on Sunday because we are having the party next Saturday! I hope I can do justice to that cake.

Deb_ Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #43 of 63

Hey Kristi and welcome! Thanks for the cake complement icon_smile.gif

I just read about your cake tasting........congratulations, I'm glad it went so well. The first one is always the scariest, I hope they book with you. Your presentation looked great! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

I really need to start a baby leprechaun sculpture for a 1st Birthday cake, but I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Night all!
Deb~

haileysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileysmommy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #44 of 63

hey everyone. i'm new here. i'm working on some flowers for these 7 cakes for a local st joseph altar .

tiffany in new olreans icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #45 of 63

Never posted on a Friday Night Cake Club thread before....

I'm just searching the internet for anything that might lead to a cakeing job...just moved to Oklahoma City...hoping that I can find something now that we're in a city, since I could never find anything in the tiny town we came from!! LOL

arsing1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #46 of 63

I'm working on gumpaste 3D figures for a Wizard of Oz cake. Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion are all done.
Still to do...Wicked Witch, Glenda, flying monkey, angry trees, house, tornado and emerald city.
I have a week to get it all done so I may not do all of them tonight.

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #47 of 63

luv_to_decorate - that's my ritual too! A bottle of Spumante whenever I'm decorating a cake! I'm more creative when I'm tipsy, lol.

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:37am
post #48 of 63

arsing1- Oh those figures sound so fun!!! Bet they're adorable!! icon_biggrin.gif

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #49 of 63

Sarsi - They are actually turning out better than I expected. Except for the lion. He doesn't look so much furry as he does hacked up by a razor blade, lol!

PinkPammfer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPammfer Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #50 of 63

luv_to_decorate and arsing1, You guys are too funny! I could never imagine drinking and decorating. I'd probably pass out on the kitchen floor before anything got done!

First time posting on a Friday night! I'm working on a Castle cake for my 6 year old cousin's birthday party tomorrow, and I am less than motivated cause I'm not liking the way it's turning out. icon_sad.gif

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #51 of 63

PinkPammfer - No drinking tonight for me. Just when I'm actually doing all the baking. Ya know, something to do while the cakes are in the oven. When it comes time to ice the cake and decorate...I actually think my lines are straighter!

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:46am
post #52 of 63

arsing1- HEHEHEE!! Dont you just love it when that happens!! You know, something I do to make my figures look furry is prick them with a pin a million times...more like scrape them with a pin. It works really well!!! You might want to try it if your lion isn't too hard already.... icon_biggrin.gif

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #53 of 63

arsing1 ~ I'd love to see pictures of the figurines when you're done! It sounds really neat and my little girl LOVES The Wizard of Oz.
Please share! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #54 of 63

YES YES YES!!! Please do share them with us!!! icon_biggrin.gif

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:14am
post #55 of 63

Ok, here are the one's that are done. Well, not completely done. I still have to do their feet and I still have to paint Tin Man.
LL
LL
LL

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:21am
post #56 of 63

OH MY WORD!!! I LOVE TIN MAN!!! icon_smile.gif He looks awesome!!!! Awe, and Dorothy is soooo cute!! icon_smile.gif Actually, I think that they all would be cute as is (no feet that is) except for lion...since he was amputated....but otherwise they kinda all look like rag dolls!! So cute!! icon_smile.gif I know you probably don't need anyone butting in, but something I noticed that you MIGHT want to do (not saying you HAVE TO) but, maybe scarecrow could use some straw sticking out somewhere...or maybe not...just thought I'd say it for kicks!! icon_biggrin.gif

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:27am
post #57 of 63

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to do the straw. I'm thinking about using raw spaghetti if it's not too big.
Yep, I have to help the poor lion out as much as possible, hopefully his feet will help. And I HAVE to put the ruby slippers on Dorothy. It just wouldn't be right without them.
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with them considering they are my firsts.

arsing1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:29am
post #58 of 63

Well, I'm done for tonight. Heading to bed. See you all tomorrow!

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:32am
post #59 of 63

WOW!! you're firsts??? Very nice! Oh yes....I forgot about the ruby slippers...definitely a must!!! icon_biggrin.gif What did you make these guys out of??? Fondant? Gumpaste? 50/50??

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #60 of 63

Wow! Those all turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%