Got Any Great Dairy Free Recipes Or Advice?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm by 7yyrt

yellobutterfly Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 14

A customer is planning her daughter's b-day for september and her daughter has a dairy allergy. She can have eggs, but no milk/butter...I usually doctor cake mixes, does anyone know if any of the mixes or flavors of the leading brands are milk-allergy safe?

The mom loves good 'ol buttercream, does anyone know if hi-ratio (specifically PS99) is dairy free? Or even if criscoe/store brand veg. shortening is? Would the wilton flavorings be safe to use?

And the mom also wants sugar cookies, I'm thinking I could just find some non-dairy margarine, and sub that into a regular sugar cookie dough, and sub water for the milk in the icing? Anyone?

Help, I'm lost!

13 replies
sadsmile Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 14

Better read on the hi-ratio. If you make bc with veg/Crisco you better add some stabilizer. My family had dairy allergies and I make stuff. Try Earth Balance natural butter vegan spread. I make my BC with 60 crisco/40 veg spread and add stabilizer in and it works great for me. I have added both meringue powder and some stabil stuff from Kitchen kraft. I don't like the flavor the meringue adds and the stabil stuff is pretty tasteless. You add your vanilla and butter flavors(or other flavors) as normal just use less liquid( Silk soy creamer or silk milk) And if you are set on a box you can find some Betty Box mixes that are OK just read the fine print. Some flavors are OK and some have milk. If you need chocolate the only afordable stuff I have found in the grocery stores is Ghirardelli Semi Sweet chips- just read the lables! The cheep store bought ones didn't say milk ingredients but we had a reaction to those as they were manufactured in a plant blah blah and must have contained enough to set offf my allergies. the Ghirardelli ones were fine for us. infact i have a spoon full of the most amazing truffle filling I just made with some! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:15am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Better read on the hi-ratio.

Sweetex and Crisco are both all vegetable shortenings with non-dairy stabilizers and emulsifiers. (I don't know why PS99 would have milk additives in any form....)

Quote:

If you make bc with veg/Crisco you better add some stabilizer. I have added both meringue powder and some stabil stuff from Kitchen kraft.

Kitchen Krafts Stabil-Creme Icing Stabilizer:

Ingredients: Modified corn starch, dextrose & polysorbate 60.

However, buttercream icing base from Country Kitchen Sweet Art contains milk solids and butter:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-263943-.html

Quote:

You add your vanilla and butter flavors(or other flavors) as normal just use less liquid( Silk soy creamer or silk milk)

The natural butter flavor from KitchenKrafts contains:

Ingredients: Water, diacetyl and steam distillates of fermented dairy products, propylene glycol, processed butterfat, xanthan gum.

The Wilton butter flavoring is certified kosher, but not parve or pareve (dairy-free) so I wouldn't use it.

So please be very careful....

Also, advertising claims for non-dairy products are not to be believed by anyone with food allergies or sensitivities because they ALL contain milk protein (caseinate):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592777-.html

Wilton all shortening (and water) b/c recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Wilton-Buttercream-Icing-151854

Check out Duncan Hines cake mixes list of ingredients. It's easy to see which are milk, soy, nut free.

HTH

EyeCandy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 14

I'm going to be following this thread, my boys are both allergic to milk (dairy), eggs, peanuts and blueberries. I still haven't found a good home made recipe to use for them so I've been sticking to boxed varieties. If you find anything good please let me know. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 14

Try the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Lots of good recipes in there.

My sister cannot have dairy or soy right now, so I have been trying out the recipes for her.

For their buttercream or anytime they use margarine I use Fleishman's light unsalted margarine.

EyeCandy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you I'll check it out.

I did buy a couple other books off Amazon and tried their cupcakes/cake recipes and they were so dry. icon_sad.gif Our Safeway sold Fleishmann's for the shortest time and than stopped, I can't find it anywhere near us. It was the only thing my sons could eat and enjoy.

sarahpierce Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 14

I am lactose-intolarent. Usually people with an intolerence can have butter. But, if it's an actual allergy than no. By the way, Oreos contain no dairy! So you can do a cookies and cream filling. But watch the labels. You'd be surprised what has dairy in it. Most luncheon meats and hot dogs have dairy. icon_confused.gif . You could make a buttercream using all vegetable shortening, instead of butter. Than use water to thin it down instead of milk. Most cake mixes don't have dairy, but then again, read labels. HTH

sarahpierce Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 14

One more thing- Blue Bonnet Light margarine sticks are dairy free. Also it's cheap.

EyeCandy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 14

I had no idea thank you so much for that info as well Sarah.

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

One more thing- Blue Bonnet Light margarine sticks are dairy free. Also it's cheap.

That's great to know! Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

meriya Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 14

Duncan Hines has a variety of milk-free cake mix, like the yellow cake and lemon supreme. Pillsbury makes milk free frosting (the ones that come with the sprinkles on top of the can)
Nucoa and Earth balance margarine are both milk-free. Crisco shortening (butter flavor) is milk free. ( I called crisco to ask if the natural flavoring listed is milk or nut, and was told it was not)

sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 14

I said to read the hi-ratio because sometimes a person that is allergic to dairy will be sensitive to the beef fat ingredients that some brands have listed.

If you call Wilton you will learn that the no color butter flavor is all atrificial and contains no dairy, no gluten, no nuts no allergens... ECT BUT It is manufactured in a plant that also makes products with those ingreedients. My sensitivity is very high and this product has not bothered me.

If making a Butter cream with Earth Balance Natural Butter Spread(vegan) because it is softer than butter with ahigh water content(so use less liquid) and a stabilizer is needed to keep the butter cream from breaking-that is my experience and the stabilizers that are already in the hi-ratio are not enough. And making it with the spread is soo much tastier than with only the shortning.

But thanks anyway Janh and you are right about all the 'non-dairy' stuff almost every stinking one contains milk ingredeints but they are allowed to state 'non-dairy' becase of the percentage of ingredients. So misleading and it makes me so mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:

Better read on the hi-ratio.

Sweetex and Crisco are both all vegetable shortenings with non-dairy stabilizers and emulsifiers. (I don't know why PS99 would have milk additives in any form....)

Quote:

If you make bc with veg/Crisco you better add some stabilizer. I have added both meringue powder and some stabil stuff from Kitchen kraft.

Kitchen Krafts Stabil-Creme Icing Stabilizer:

Ingredients: Modified corn starch, dextrose & polysorbate 60.

However, buttercream icing base from Country Kitchen Sweet Art contains milk solids and butter:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-263943-.html

Quote:

You add your vanilla and butter flavors(or other flavors) as normal just use less liquid( Silk soy creamer or silk milk)

The natural butter flavor from KitchenKrafts contains:

Ingredients: Water, diacetyl and steam distillates of fermented dairy products, propylene glycol, processed butterfat, xanthan gum.

The Wilton butter flavoring is certified kosher, but not parve or pareve (dairy-free) so I wouldn't use it.

So please be very careful....

Also, advertising claims for non-dairy products are not to be believed by anyone with food allergies or sensitivities because they ALL contain milk protein (caseinate):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592777-.html

Wilton all shortening (and water) b/c recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Wilton-Buttercream-Icing-151854

Check out Duncan Hines cake mixes list of ingredients. It's easy to see which are milk, soy, nut free.

HTH

luvsfreebies72 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 14

I don't know of any mixes that are specifically dairy-free, but you will need to read, read, read the labels. Look for the terms casein, caseinate, lactose, lactate or any derivative of those words. Even when something says dairy-free, it almost always has milk proteins still, which is the cause of allergies and intolerances. also, check at the bottom of the ingredients list, as more and more manufacturers are stating what allergens are in that food item.

In my cakes that are for home, I sub soy, almond or rice milk for the liquid, Nucoa marg for the butter and I will add an extra egg and up the fat content in the cake recipe to make it more moist. I like the almond milk the best.

ETA: a good thing to do would be to sterilize all equipment that will be used to make this little girl's cake, to make sure you got rid of any milk proteins that might have hung around after the last use.

7yyrt Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 14

I like to send folks here, http://www.cs.unc.edu/~kupstas/FAQ_recipes.html#DairyList the recipes that I have tried are good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%