Question Re: Toba Garrett's Fondant Recipe

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 12 May 2010 , 7:17pm by Sassy74

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 71

I'm making this tonight and as I read the recipe I notice that it calls for 1/2 cup of corn syrup, but....in parenthesis it says (6 oz or ...).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but 1/2 liquid cup is 4 oz. Which is it icon_confused.gif ?

70 replies
moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 71

Anyone??

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 71

Hey Moxey......I used to make Toba's recipe regularly and can tell you the correct amount is the 1/2 cup. The 6 oz is NOT correct.

icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 71

Sorry, never made her's before. But have you tried Michelle Foster's? Its really good, easy to make and easy to work with. I got the recipe right here on CC!

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 71

Thank you TeeKakes, I thought that was the case.

SharonK1973: I haven't made Michelle's yet, but I'm looking up the recipe right now. Thanks!

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 71

SharonK.........I agree! In my above post I said I "used" to make Toba's regularly.........until I made Michelle Foster's that is. After making Michelle's I have had no need, nor desire, to make any other fondant recipe ever again! icon_biggrin.gif It is easy and sooooo versatile to work with and use! And the taste is superb to all others in my opinion!! thumbs_up.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #7 of 71

TeeKakes... I know! I get real excited about that fondant. I like it when clients taste it and it takes them competely by surprise because all they ever knew about fondant previously was that store-bought play-dough stuff! Michelle Foster's always changes their minds!

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

TeeKakes... I know! I get real excited about that fondant. I like it when clients taste it and it takes them competely by surprise because all they ever knew about fondant previously was that store-bought play-dough stuff! Michelle Foster's always changes their minds!

Yep! thumbs_up.gif That is the same reaction I get! There is only one thing that takes it over the top and makes it even better and that is adding a batch of White Chocolate Clay to it! OMG! It is simply the best!
Actually It is 1/2 batch of WC Clay to a full recipe of Michelle Fosters fondant. OR, in my usual case, 1 full batch of WC Clay to a double recipe of Michelle Foster fondant! thumbs_up.gif

moxey2000 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #9 of 71

What's your favorite flavor to use in Michele Foster's fondant? I just finished making Toba Garrett's and I used Creme Bouquet. It taste awesome. I went ahead and made Toba's since that's what I planned to do, the next batch will be Michele's. I'm just interested in know what flavor people like best. Do you offer a flavor to your customers or do you just use something that'll coordinate with the cake flavor?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 71

I've been using Toba's fondant with great results. So if Michelle's recipe is even better, I'm eager to try it.

Question... I notice Michelle's recipe includes milk. Whenever I make an icing that includes milk, if I don't keep the finished product in the fridge, I notice a slight sour smell over the next day or two. This has happened particularly with flooding icing for cookies. Does Michelle's fondant need to be refrigerated? If so, does it sweat?

SharonK1973 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 71

TeeKakes... I have to try that with the candy clay!

I use vanilla flavor, or sometimes lemon.

Where the milk is concerned, I don't use milk. I use white chocolate macadamia nut coffee creamer. Soooo good!

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #12 of 71

Moxey........since the fondant can be flavored with any flavor I do offer a choice to my customers. My personal favorite flavor is the White Chocolate Fondant.
Regarding Toba's recipe..........I am glad you made it because it is a very tasty recipe! The reason I prefer Michelle Fosters is because it is considerably easier to work with and takes the White Chocolate Clay like it was made for it.

Artscallion.............the milk is negligable in the recipe for spoilage. The large amount of sugar to such a small amount of milk makes the milk "preserved" and unspoilable, really. Neither Michelle or Toba fondants need kept in the fridge. Just double wrap them in plastic wrap then place in a large gallon sized ziploc and keep on the counter at room temp. I have never had either recipe spoil or change flavor at all. My house stays anywhere from 68 to 78 degrees. thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #13 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

TeeKakes... I have to try that with the candy clay!

I use vanilla flavor, or sometimes lemon.

Where the milk is concerned, I don't use milk. I use white chocolate macadamia nut coffee creamer. Soooo good!

Yes, you must try the White Chocolate Clay added to Michelles fondant!

The White choc macadamia creamer sounds REALLY good too! I am a serious coffee drinker so will look for it next time I am at the store. I am sure I have seen it but didn't think much about it regarding fondant.

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #14 of 71

I am also a HUGE fan of Michele Foster's Fondant! It is really delicious. So far I've only used vanilla extract for flavouring. White chocolate sounds amazing.

What is White Chocolate Clay? Is it a recipe here on CC?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 71

Sharon, the coffee creamer sounds like a great idea!

Teekakes, that's good to know. I spent days working on some really ornate iced Xmas cookies last year, using Toba's glace recipe from her Creative Cookies book:

1 pound powdered sugar
3/8 cup whole milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup.

I had to toss the lot of them. But that does seem like a greater proportion of milk to sugar.

Thanks

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:40am
post #16 of 71

The White Chocolate I use for adding to fondant is;

5 cups of Merckens Superwhite chocolate discs (about 2 lbs)
1 cup of white Karo corn syrup

Melt discs. Stir in corn syrup just until mixed together. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight or until set and hardened.

I mix a single recipe of this to a double recipe of Michelle Foster's fondant.
You do not have to add as much chocolate clay to the fondant as I do but if you want a good white chocolate flavor then I suggest my ratio's. This works great for modeling figures too. Just add about a 1/2 teaspoon of Tylose powder to a baseball sized piece of the White Chocolate fondant, make your figures and let dry.

SharonK1973 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:42am
post #17 of 71

The brand of coffee creamer is International Delight. They make a lot of really delicious flavors and so far, all the ones I've used for fondant worked wonderfully!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #18 of 71

Teekakes, that sounds yummy! Gonna have to try it!

With both of these recipes that have been mentioned (Toba & Michelle) do you have any trouble with 'shrinkage'? I get irritated with MMF because when you roll it out, it keeps shrinking back in on itself because of the MM's. I love the taste, the ease to make, and the cost, but the workability of it isn't as good. And when you are doing cookies, it shrinks up a bit after you cut it, so then there is all this extra cookie around edges. Ugh!

crazy4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4cupcakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:51am
post #19 of 71

Teekakes - thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to try it icon_biggrin.gif

SharonK1973 - I've never thought of trying coffee creamer for flavouring. Great idea!

SharonK1973 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #20 of 71

Melvira... NOOOOOOO shrinking!

Also, to speed things up, I don't bother melting the gelating over simmering water. Pop it in the microwave for about a minute to a minute and a half.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #21 of 71

Oh yay! I am sold and will be making it soon! Woo hoo!

Teekakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Teekakes, that sounds yummy! Gonna have to try it!

With both of these recipes that have been mentioned (Toba & Michelle) do you have any trouble with 'shrinkage'? I get irritated with MMF because when you roll it out, it keeps shrinking back in on itself because of the MM's. I love the taste, the ease to make, and the cost, but the workability of it isn't as good. And when you are doing cookies, it shrinks up a bit after you cut it, so then there is all this extra cookie around edges. Ugh!

Hey Mel! NO, there is no shrinkage whatsoever! Give it a try and you will be sold on the first batch! Both Toba & Michelles are excellent fondants.............Michelle's is simply a more sturdy, easier to work with, fondant and it takes the White Chocolate Clay to perfection.
Let us know what you think after you get it made. I know you are going to love it! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:54am
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

The White Chocolate I use for adding to fondant is;

5 cups of Merckens Superwhite chocolate discs (about 2 lbs)
1 cup of white Karo corn syrup

Melt discs. Stir in corn syrup just until mixed together. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight or until set and hardened.

You do not have to add as much chocolate clay to the fondant as I do but if you want a good white chocolate flavor then I suggest my ratio's. This works great for modeling figures too. Just add about a 1/2 teaspoon of Tylose powder to a baseball sized piece of the White Chocolate fondant, make your figures and let dry.

Teekakes thanks for the recipe.

I love Michelle's Fondant and I'm going to try it this way next. So far I have made it just as her recipe states but have added between 6-8 oz of white chocolate to it and it was delicious. I actually found her fondant to be easier to make than Marshmallow Fondant.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I love Michelle's Fondant and I'm going to try it this way next. So far I have made it just as her recipe states but have added between 6-8 oz of white chocolate to it and it was delicious. I actually found her fondant to be easier to make than Marshmallow Fondant.

when do you add the white chocolate? It is melted right? can i use white chocolate that I use for baking?

xstitcher Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:45am
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

when do you add the white chocolate? It is melted right? can i use white chocolate that I use for baking?

When I made it I had some Ghirardelli white chocolate chips on hand and I melted those in the microwave and then added it to the mix.

I added it right after the 3rd step in Michele's recipe:

- combine milk and gelatin & allow to firm
- cook over double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
- add remaining ingredients(except sugar) & cook until butter is almost melted
*****add chocolate*****

then:
- cool to lukewarm (I come back to it and stir periodically so it doesn't form a "skin" on the top or get clumpy)
and so on......

HTH!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:57am
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Aha! Now I see what I did wrong.
I also love Michele's fondant and the only time it's ever failed me was when I added white choc. clay (same recipe as yours) to it.
Full batch of both combined.
I should've added half clay to the full batch of fondant.

It must have been the extra corn syrup, because I've added white chocolate, alone, to her fondant several times, and never had a problem. The clay however, did me in...it was so soft, I couldn't lift it without massive tearing. After an hour of rolling out - lifting - re-rolling etc. I rolled it for the last time and walked away...I let it sit uncovered for close to 20 minutes...wasn't sure it was going to work, I really was just frustrated and ready to quit. I was prepared to pay for a bakery cake to replace my failure...thankfully, after resting (me & the fondant) I managed to carefully lift it, but I vowed to never use clay again.

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #27 of 71

Thanks for all the tips everyone-I've never tried either of the recipes because I didn't know if they tasted any good-but now I am really interested in making them-you have made them sound delicious! And I didn't know you could use the flavored coffee creamer to make different flavors! I always learn something new when I come here to the forums-I love it!!!! icon_smile.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:17am
post #28 of 71

I'm definately going to try the white chocolate and next time I'm going to try the princess cake and cookie emulsion. It smells so so good!!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:47am
post #29 of 71

The timing of this post is GREAT! I have been torn about making both of these for a cake I have due at the end of the month (I usually use satin Ice but am out of white so thought I would give this a try). I kept going back to Michelle's for some reason. NOW I know why icon_smile.gif Sounds like it is simply the best!

The only question I have is, about how much (lbs) does one batch produce?? I need to cover a half sheet and want to make sure I make enough the first time as I will be making this cake 2 days before I am to be induced to deliver my baby so time is of the essence! Anyone who knows how many lbs a batch of Michelle's would produce can help me out.

Thanks so much for this post..Again, it was right on time!!

xstitcher Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:57am
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

The timing of this post is GREAT! I have been torn about making both of these for a cake I have due at the end of the month (I usually use but am out of white so thought I would give this a try). I kept going back to Michelle's for some reason. NOW I know why icon_smile.gif Sounds like it is simply the best!

The only question I have is, about how much (lbs) does one batch produce?? I need to cover a half sheet and want to make sure I make enough the first time as I will be making this cake 2 days before I am to be induced to deliver my baby so time is of the essence! Anyone who knows how many lbs a batch of Michelle's would produce can help me out.

Thanks so much for this post..Again, it was right on time!!

I never measured the amount it made by weight but it did make quite a bit, I used it to cover my Winnie the Pooh Cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1288525

Which was a 10", 7" and 4" cake and I did have some left over as well.

If no one else has the answer for you I would recommend that you PM Michele directly, she is awesome with helping out.

CC username : Sugarflowers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%