Need Some Help Please

Business By karateka Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm by Deb_

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 8

I have a repeat customer who wants a cake for her daughter's 2nd bday. She wants a 3 tier cake that will serve 38.

The problem is, she wants a tasting. I don't want to give her one. I do free tastings for weddings, but for a birthday? I know she's a repeat client, but my profit margin is so low.....

How do I tell her no without making her mad? I need some creative, polite wording. I don't trust myself....I have a knack for irritating people.

7 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 8

Why does she need to taste it if she's had your cake before? If she insists you could always charge a fee... that might make her change her mind...

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 8

I agree, charge her for a tasting.
You could also explain in order to keep costs down you only do tastings for
cakes of 100 servings or more.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 8

I'm just a hobby baker, so I'm sorry that I have no advice for you. However, in the hopes of not hi-jacking your thread, I do have a question if you don't mind...I also have to make a 3 teir cake that will serve about 35 people. Would you mind sharing what size pans you are planning on using for this cake?

mendygabriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendygabriel Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 8

Tell her to go to hell-kidding. We bake EVERYTHING from scratch-we do not have a counter or any cakes. So when we get a tasting we have to spend all day baking what they want to taste.
What we tell our clients is that we would be more than happy to do a tasting. We do charge for tasting but if a deposit is left at the time of the tasting then it is free. Also let her know your weekends are reserved for deliveries and final touches on your cakes-have your tasting during the week.
Good luck!
gabe

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 8

Do you leftover cake from your wedding tastings? If so, offer her some of the leftover flavors.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 8

maybe just apologise, that it is not your normal practice to do a tasting for cakes like this.
you could offer to make up a mini cake/ cup cake, if you have some spare batter from other cakes you have on just now? or cake scraps if you are carving. could do cubes of cake, pots of icing, very simple.
or say you will make a small (6inch?) cake for her to taste, for the price of worthwhile dollars.
is it rude to ask why do you want a tasting after all this time of using me? thats what makes the idea of a tasting so hard to understand!
If you decide for a straight no 'I am afraid I am unable to meet your request of a sample session for this cake. currently i only do samples for weddings/ cakes serving so many.' and something nice about hoping to hear from her, work together again, along those lines?
xx

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 8

I agree with the other posts above......if she's already a client and has had your cakes in the past then she knows the quality of your cakes. If she's just "curious" about a flavor and wants to be sure she likes it first then she needs to pay you to make it.

I hate it when people think we're like Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlor where you can go in and try a spoonful of all 30 something flavors. icon_rolleyes.gif

So to answer your question about what to say........I'm sorry but I only hold tastings for cakes that are 100 servings or more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%