How To Make A Tie Dyed Cake Without Airbrush

Decorating By jpmama Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm by TheCakerator

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 11

A friend of mine would like a tiered tie dyed cake w/ peace signs, etc for a 70's themed party. The only cakes I can find online were either airbrushed or marbelized fondant. I don't have the equipment to airbrush, and my friend thinks the marbelized fondant doesn't really look tie dyed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the tie dyed effect, particularly with buttercream instead of fondant? Thanks in advance!

10 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 11

someone just uploaded a few days ago a tie dyed cake in buttercream, it looked really good .. I will try to find the link!

TheCakerator Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1325506

I thought this cake looked really nice! If you search for Tie Die or Tie Dye cakes in the search gallery there are lots of ones to look at!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 11

I did a "That's So Raven" cake and made a tye dye design with the Wilton spray colors.

Here is a link: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=30102

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 11

Cakerator, that's the same one I was thinking of! I had it saved in my favorites cause I want to try it, but I couldn't find it fast enough!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 11

I have done tie-dyed cakes kust like JamieAgain suggested and they look great. I just use something like a shish-kabob stick to make the lines. I ice in white first, then put the colors on, that way when you scrape through the colors, you see the white underneath. It is time consuming, but it looks very good.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 11

This one is by "itsacake" here on CC. She said she hand painted it with gel colors. Thought it was really cute.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=105161

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 11

I'm interested in this too! I have a couple that wants a tie dye wedding cake. they want it done in BC

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much for all the tips. I'm very new to the site and realize now that I wasn't searching correctly... I just found a ton more pics!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 11

In my pix I've done tye dye tee shirt cookies with instructions in the comments. Perhaps you could adapt that to a cake somehow. icon_biggrin.gif

TheCakerator Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 11

I think if you also make the icing tie dyed, you should tie dye the inside of the cake too! Well, as long as they are using white cake I mean ... theres a picture of that on here as well, it would be a nice surprise when they go to cut the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%