Straight Talk! What Can Be Done For $350!!!

Decorating By Edibleconcept Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 4:42am by ClassyMommy

Edibleconcept Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 12

Please try to give me straight talk along with any other comments. I know that CCM's are good for a laugh or two icon_razz.gif , but I've noticed some are hesitant to put out REAL situations that REAL Brides talk about. So here we go:

There is a woman & her Army Fiance that can only afford $350. I told her to be ready for options within that range & possible changes. What she wanted was a BC Squared Tiered Cake. Fondant cut in long strips around the Cake & a few Gumpaste Daisies & Cala Lilies. She also would like an Army Themed Groom's Cake ( I know, go get Indy icon_twisted.gif ) I'm willing to put this out here for all of the CC World to see. Am I crazy, no. I also know what stuff like this REALLY COSTS! $350. is profit only for some & Ingredients for others. But regardless of what's going to be said, I'm bold enough to put my B@//$ out there & ask.

First thing I thought of was that The Fondant Cake will be a small Annv. Topper surrounded by Mini-Cupcakes. The Groom's Cake will be a simple 1/4 Sheet with an Army Star. Overall small & simple to feed 150. Alright, now I'm ready for options & suggestions. With a side of "Raggin'!" icon_redface.gif

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 12

Help me figure out what you mean here.
Tell me how close I am to what you mean.

You want to scale a groom's cake and a bride's cake within $350.

Both cakes together will serve 150.

Groom's cake kinda army-ish with camoflage.

Bride's cake is described two different ways.

Bride's cake is squares stacked decorated with fondant strips.

Do fondant strips go up & down or around the cakes?

If up & down do they overlap?

Or bride's cake is one little cake with mini-cupcakes..

Gumpaste callas and daisies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So an idea is to use a half sheet groom's to serve 50 and a 100 serving bride's cake--11x8x5 square would be right at 100 servings.

So if the groom's cake is one layer that's not that too awfully priced at $1 per serving--I mean you could do a two layer quarter sheet--same same-- and then you're getting $3 per on the bride's cake give or take --that's not too horrible.

Camo cake with a monogram or something real simple for the groom.

I would not do cupcakes. White cake white icing no extra gourmet-ness in the cakes themselves.

I appreciate our military but she's asking for a designer cake too. this gives a real good deal on the groom's cake and not too shabby on the bride's cake.

Edibleconcept Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 12

Thanks k8memphis, for deciding to take me on understanding this challenge for what it's worth. It sounds you understand the bulk of what I'm dealing with. There are some corrections though:

1. Bride's Cake will be more fancier than the Groom's. The Fondant strips will be up & down as mentioned, with the corners having diamond-shaped strips.
2. Groom's Cake will not be Camo unless they agree to a Green Colored Cake. I was just keeping things simple white Icing/Borders with an Army's Star Emblem.

I was going with cupcakes since it's a familiar trend now & stretches the servings better. Also it reduces clean up & controls portion sizes. Overall I was thinking this can leave me with more $ to focus on a Fancier Annv. Topper & a more reasonable sized Groom's Cake. Not to mention all the other "Sticky" situations we Decorator's face like: Ingredients, Supplies/Tools, & more. icon_rolleyes.gif If all else fails, they are willing to drop the Groom's Cake entirely to focus more on the Wedding Cake.

Bottom Line, I really want to take this on for my Church Friend, but also have to work with this amount leaving room for all of the above & myself. IF I take this on, it will have to be letting them know what is only allowed. Also giving them reasonable choices & other alternatives within this budget. Thank you so much again for your time, interest, & advice with this challenge. God bless our troops, they do deserve the best as much as possible usaribbon.gif

Peace,
"Edibleconcept." icon_cool.gif

-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 12

If bridelette said... "What she wanted was a BC Squared Tiered Cake." then why are you giving her cupcakes?

I'm curious--I do not know of anyone who buys a cake with a pretty top tier to keep for their anniversary as a selling point. I mean they may well be out there--I just don't see it as a selling point at all.

Edibleconcept Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 12

Okay, I can see how this has gotten alittle confusing. I apologize, let me explain again. The idea she & fiance wants is originally four large tiers, Square-shaped, covered with Buttercream & has Fondant strips going up & down to accent the cake. Not to mention Gumpaste Calas & Daisies. I thought sure but not on a larger scale & as they see on the photo. What I figured is to have cupcakes as an option having the Squared Cake be ONLY the Annv. Cake & all other servings be in cupcake form. IF this still leaves you "Pickled" icon_confused.gif please look at Ginger08's cake photo titled, "Betty's Champagne Striped Cake." (I'm still awaiting permission to do a smaller version).
Knowing how this design looks should help you see why I'm presenting other options while still trying to do this design in a smaller form. Thanks again, please hang in there with me. thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 12

You asked for the straight poop so this is what I'd do. Not raggin' at all - hey you gotta bounce this stuff off somebody, right? Who better than the CC contingency?! icon_lol.gif

OK, let's make sure I understand this. She wants square, multi-tiered wedding cake with fondant strips and diamonds on the corners, and a few gumpaste flowers PLUS a custom groom's cake. She wants total pieces of 150 and all on a budget of $350?

My answer would have to be "Sorry...no way. No how. Just can't do it." If you do this order word will get out that you're the cheapest custom baker in the state and no one will ever want to pay you what you're worth again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I get it now - you're trying to work with their budget and are providing something that you feel you could do on their budget, and thinking cupcakes instead of cake, but offer them a small squared anniv. cake. Then do the groom's cake but not major custom/sculpted, right? I'm doing a cupcake order in June (for a friend at a discounted rate) - 150 ccakes @ $1.50 per. Nothing fancy - just buttercream icing - no fillings. You could do this for the bride at a cost of $225, then have $125 budget left over to cover the groom's cake and the small anniv. type cake (although I wouldn't offer the anniv. cake thingy). If you feel that's a fair alternative, then go for it. If, however, they don't want to budge on what they want, I'd have to pass on it.

CakeForte Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #7 of 12

i haven't read any other posts yet...but from what you asked...here's my reply based on what I think you are asking: What will her money buy her?

For $350, she could get one cake, in the very simple design that we are all tired of doing; that tiered cake with either dots or scrolls, the ribbon around it and fresh flowers. No Fondant.

Or she could get a small, 2 tired wedding cake for 40 ($200), the a 10" or 12" ($150) round cake for the grooms, all in buttercream with maybe a FBT logo or something like that

If you charge delivery...it would have to be even less than that.

FlourPots Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edibleconcept

CCM's are good for a laugh or two icon_razz.gif ,

Can I ask what this stands for??

Edibleconcept Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edibleconcept

CCM's are good for a laugh or two icon_razz.gif ,

Can I ask what this stands for??

CCM's stands for: Cake Central Members

FlourPots Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #10 of 12

icon_redface.gif Oh, duh icon_redface.gif

Edibleconcept Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #11 of 12

NoBiggy, I had to learn things to. Still am thumbs_up.gif

ClassyMommy Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 12

First off...I don't sell cakes, but I did buy a wedding cake around 5 years ago, and it was for 150 guests! I paid $250 for the cake. It was from a local baker. The only thing that I didn't get was anything super fancy. I requested white with a little bit of pink accents...nothing spectacular. I would say that if she wants spectacular...she will have to pay more. However, if you want to do it for someone at church...I would have to say that you will have to do it as a favor and let everyone know it as such. I have heard other CCM say that it would be more expensive to do cupcakes at a wedding than just the cake, but again, I don't know from experience, just from what I have seen on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%