Baking Soda Cakes

Decorating By vampy Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm by messy_chef

vampy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vampy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 7

ok i dont know why i torment myself with this but every time a bake a cake with baking soda in it, it looks good till i take it out of the oven. It then deflates and gets a bitter taste to it, i dont know whay this happens it tastes fine and looks fine before i put it in the oven and when it cooks it puffs up nicely but as soon as i take it out of the oven it starts to deflate and look really gross. does anyone know why this happens, i have tried to bake on sunny days with not so much humidity, i live in Bermuda where its kinda humid anyway.

6 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 7

Do you sift your dry ingredients together? That usually helps to evenly distribute the salt and baking powder into the flour. HTH (and yes that has happened to me before)

Cindy

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #3 of 7

Are you supposed to be using baking powder or baking soda? Most cake recipes I have call for powder. There is a big difference in performance icon_smile.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 9:53am
post #4 of 7

I am with others: Is it really baking soda you should use? I have never heard about a cake with baking soda in it. Baking powder is another story...

When cake puffs nicely and then deflate after taking it out of the oven - it is mostly because the baking temperature is too high. The cake bakes to quickly, the air in the batter expands too much. As it cools, the cake "shrinks" in itself. This has nothing to do with humidity.

But the bitter taste is a "sign" of baking soda. As you bake your cake on higher temperature for quite a long time the baking soda breaks up and can change the taste to bitter and "soapy". It could even give yellow color to the cake. Because of this, in cakes and pies people use baking powder instead of baking soda. Baking powder is nothing more then baking soda with acidic part mixed in.

If anybody is interested in the exact chemical reaction, let me know icon_smile.gif

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

The chocolate cake recipe I use calls for baking soda and I've never experienced this problem...I do sift the dry ingredients together, though.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7

messy_chef:

doesn't your recipe include sour cream or buttermilk? Both are acidic and work well with baking soda.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 7

Yes!
<---not one scientific bone in her body

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%