Turning A Classic Yellow Cake To Lemon?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm by bbmom

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 4

ok so i occasionally use cake mixes and right now im running out of time do you think it would be possible to use just a yellow cake mix and substitue the water for fresh lemon juice do you think it would give enough of a lemon flavor ? ive substitued the lemon juice for water on a lemon cake mix and it was intense so im wondering if it would be enough for just a yellow? any opinions?

3 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 4

I don't normally use mixes either, but I would bet that substituting lemon juice for all of the water would still be way too overpowering. There's a recipe here on CC for a lemon cake that starts with a white cake mix - it's similar to the WASC recipe. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use this recipe but a yellow cake mix instead.

1 box white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 box Jell-o brand instant lemon pudding
1/2 tsp salt
4 whole eggs
1 1/3 cup water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp clear vanilla flavor
2 tsp lemon extract
Zest and juice from 2 large lemons

Mix all ingredients for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl and mix for an additional minute. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees until cake tests done. Yields approximately 10 cups of batter.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4

i bake from scratch, but to turn a cake into lemon, i just add the zest of 1-2 lemons. nice and lemony, but not too strong.
xx

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 4

If you're using a box mix, I'd just add a tsp of lemon extract and the zest of 1 lemon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%