Help Making A Topsy Turvy Cake. Any Suggestions Welcome ...

Decorating By lahdz86 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm by tiggy2

lahdz86 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 3

My husband's b-day is around the corner. April 3rd to be exact. and im going to make him a cake. My plan is to make a three layer topsy turvy cake with a chicago bears helmet on the top. The bottom layer is going to have corona logos ( i.e palm trees, parrot, limes etc. ) the middle layer is going to be Chicago Bears logos ( i.e Chicago bears C , Bears face) the top layer is going to be honda logos ( i.e Honda H, the word Civic, & Honda Wing ) . Im going to make is all buttercream with fondent details. The double layers are going to me 10", 8" & 6". so here's my questions.

1) how do I go about a support system for this cake?
2) does anyone have any ideas on how to do all the logos? ( freehand , stencils etc. )

I would really appreciate any advice I can get. Ive attached pictures of the logos and an example of a helmet.

2 replies
Skirt Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 3

For support, the SPS system seems to have a huge number of supporters here (...pun, groan...). Others suggest using straws or dowels in straws. I've only ever used dowels but will be trying something new next time, cake jacks.

For the logos, you could print them on edible paper or print them on normal paper and use them as templates to trace out in fondant. If you are not artistically inclined (like me!), freehand may not be the way to go. icon_wink.gif

Be sure to post a pic!

tiggy2 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 3

You could also do FBCT for the logos or CT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%