I have a wedding im doing in July and the groom wants a roller skate made from cake. Ive never one this before and I would like any and all advice that anyone can give me on how to make the cake. He wants a 3D cake and wants it to be glam. He loves bowling and skateing and he devotes 3 to 4 days a week to the sports.
The most elegant way how to make roller skate is one from Duff's cakes - http://grooveefortune.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/ace-of-cakes-roller-derby-cake/ - the second one.
It could be made completely from cake - 4 mini cakes set on side, between them small rectangular piece of cake as support (baked in something like small loaf pan). On top of this, sport shoe on cake board cut in form of the sole. The cakes under it give it enough stability, you could dowel it through each roller.
Or you could make the base layer (rollers and support) from dummies - depending on size of cake you need.
Another way would be the similar principle - cake board cut as sole on feet between the rollers, the rollers from gumpaste.
Here is step by step sport shoe, should you need it.
Thankd for the help and websites. One of them is in german o something like that But ill figure it out.
The second one is Czech.
1. cut the sole, with the plastic tip, form the spikes, glue it together, let 4 days dry.
2. cut the form from the cake, the parts around foot are from cake spackle (cake scraps mixed with BC), crumbcoat
4. give rough form in the shoe, cut precisely
5. make shoe tongue, with black part on top of it, make shoestrings
6. give rough form to your flat fondant, form it on cake
7. form the heel part
8. make the part around shoestrings. with piping tip cut the holes for shoestrings, make shoestrings (tucked in). mark all the sewing. glue the black parts, mark all remaining sewing
9. carefully lay on the sole, finish with thin fondant ribbon