Does It Matter? (Butter)

Decorating By madhousewife Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

madhousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhousewife Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 12

Does it matter whether I use Salted or Unsalted Butter for my buttercream icing?

TIA!

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 12

I'm sure it makes a difference depending on the recipe.

But I just wanted to throw in that I never use salt in anything sweet. I ALWAYS omit it in any recipe that I use. Started omitting it 30 years ago. Never noticed a difference. Never missed it. So I never use it. (First husband had extremely high blood pressure, so I was removing salt from EVERYTHING possible!)

I figure I don't salt a brownie when I eat it ... I'm not salting it before I bake it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 12

My understanding is that UNsalted butter will be fresher. Reasoning is that salt is a preservative and when it's not added it does not keep as long.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 12

Hi, I never liked unsalted butter. Even if the recipe calls for unsalted butter, I use salted butter. And always make my buttercream with salted butter! Love it! icon_smile.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 12

Question? Does salt take out some of the sweetness of the icing?

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 12

I used unsalted butter once and meant to add salt, but forgot. It was the most awful icing I've ever tasted. I always use salted. I've seen the recipe where you mix the two and I intend to use it. The addition of salt helps cut down on the sweetness and give you a real flavorful buttercream. I would try it and play with it different ways because, honestly, everyone has different tastes.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 12

Salted for me! Always. I think it does cut down on the overly sweet flavor.

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 12

I always buy unsalted butter for my smbc, merely because I like to be the one to control the amount of salt that goes into my recipes. Salt is important because it will help to make your flavors POP! Of course using too much provides a rather unappealing taste! On the rare occasion I flub up and accidentally purchase salted butter, and in that case I just remember not to add the salt to the recipe since it is already in the butter.

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 12

I use unsalted butter and manually add salt back in. IMO the salt makes the cake or icing richer and brings out the taste of vanilla and chocolate.

madhousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhousewife Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 12

Interesting! Pretty good mix of answers. hehe I am using the indydebis buttercream recipe if that makes a difference.

Thank you for all the replies so far!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Question? Does salt take out some of the sweetness of the icing?

No, it doesn't. It gives a nice balance to the buttercream. I have tried making buttercream with unsalted butter and it was too sweet for me.

And I totaly agree with No-goodlazybum! And some of my customers ask how I get my cake really moist, and I think salted butter helps that as well. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 12

When I make SMBC i make sure I use unsalted butter (unless it's chocolate and in that case the chocolate will overpower the salt IME)

for baking I always margarine icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%