Coffee Smbc...how Much Coffee Do I Add??

Decorating By chikie Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm by chikie

chikie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:01am
post #1 of 5

I want to make Coffe SMBC...I don't have access to a cake supply store for extracts. What kind of coffee should I add to it and how much??

Thanks!!!
Tiffany

4 replies
antonia74 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:36am
post #2 of 5

I use instant-dissolving coffee, making a thick syrup of it using about 3 parts coffee to one part boiling water. The amount you'll need depends on how much buttercream you're trying to flavour....you didn't mention the quantity you need?

For a 2lb. batch of buttercream, I'd generally use about 1/4 cup of coffee crystals to 1-1.5 tablespoons of water. I'd add a bit at a time to get the right flavour. You can always add more! thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 5

ive found the instant esspresso stuff is better (well, stronger flavour for less of it) the regular instant too.
xx

HerBoudoir Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 5

I vote for instant espresso powder, specifically Megalia D'Oro if you can find it. I basically do what Antonia - dissolve a couple tablespoons of espresso poweder in about half the quantity of warm cream or half and half (just warmed in the mic for a few seconds - does not need to be boiling), then add until the buttercream is the right flavor.

Btw - espresso buttercream + dark chocolate cake + a little whipped cream as a garnish = absolute HEAVEN.

chikie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much!! Now I'm off to go find esspresso powder!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%