Coffee Smbc...how Much Coffee Do I Add??

Decorating By chikie Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm by chikie

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:01am
post #1 of 5

I want to make Coffe SMBC...I don't have access to a cake supply store for extracts. What kind of coffee should I add to it and how much??

Thanks!!!
Tiffany

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:36am
post #2 of 5

I use instant-dissolving coffee, making a thick syrup of it using about 3 parts coffee to one part boiling water. The amount you'll need depends on how much buttercream you're trying to flavour....you didn't mention the quantity you need?

For a 2lb. batch of buttercream, I'd generally use about 1/4 cup of coffee crystals to 1-1.5 tablespoons of water. I'd add a bit at a time to get the right flavour. You can always add more! thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 5

ive found the instant esspresso stuff is better (well, stronger flavour for less of it) the regular instant too.
xx

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 5

I vote for instant espresso powder, specifically Megalia D'Oro if you can find it. I basically do what Antonia - dissolve a couple tablespoons of espresso poweder in about half the quantity of warm cream or half and half (just warmed in the mic for a few seconds - does not need to be boiling), then add until the buttercream is the right flavor.

Btw - espresso buttercream + dark chocolate cake + a little whipped cream as a garnish = absolute HEAVEN.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much!! Now I'm off to go find esspresso powder!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%