Help From Experienced People--First Fondant Cake -- Please

Decorating By Rylan Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:59am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Have you tried Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake? It's actually a very light yellow, you whip the whites separately and it comes out great and is good and sturdy. It's a butter cake though so you shouldn't refrigerate it or if you do, it needs time to come back to room temp.

As I said earlier, I never refrigerate my cakes because I don't have professional humidity controlled refrigerators like the "big guys" on T.V. When you see them using refrigerators for their cakes, those are specifically made for bakeries, they don't dry the cakes out like home fridges will. Unless you use perishable fillings/icing there is no need to refrigerate.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to look that up and see if it works with me. I've had tons of cakes sitting on my counter and non of them worked. Maybe this one will do.

Rylan Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:06am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

what happened to your cakes? What recipes did you use?

First I made this hazelnut butter cake from one of my cake books and it turned out too dense and buttery. Then I made this one cake from better homes and garden and it was ok, yet it wasn't the best...plus it felt dry. Then I used Serious_cakes recipe and it cake out crumbly on the sides after baking (I'm not sure if it was because I overmixed it or the batter was in the pan for so long before I even baked it. I have great chocolate cake recipes but I'm not such a fan of chocolate.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #33 of 36

I find that my butter cake recipes seem to come out "weird" on the sides too, so I've started cutting strips of wax paper to line the sides of the pan and it's worked out great. No more "funky" sides, they're nice and smooth.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:

I find that my butter cake recipes seem to come out "weird" on the sides too, so I've started cutting strips of wax paper to line the sides of the pan and it's worked out great. No more "funky" sides, they're nice and smooth.

What a great tip. Thanks, dkelly! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:

THANKS Dkelly. I will definitely give that a try!

Rylan Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #36 of 36

anymore recipe suggestions i can possible try?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%