Am I The Only One Who Has Trouble With This?

Decorating By grahamc Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm by Pearlx

grahamc Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #1 of 9

I am a newbie. Only been decorating for a month and a half. I feel silly asking this question, but I have the hardest time rolling out my fondant so that the edges are even. Mine always have "shoots" heading off in different directions. I get part of the fondant large enough to cover the cake, but not the whole thing. What's the trick?

8 replies
nolee Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but if you're saying you're having trouble rolling out your fondant to the right size for the cake you're covering than what I do, is try and shape my fondant to the shape of the cake. If it's round, I start with a round ball, a square I would start by shaping my fondant into a large cube, etc..
I rotate rolling left to right and up and down to try and keep it even. And even when you think your fondant is large enough to cover the cake, make it just a little bigger. Hope that helps, hope thats what you were asking.

bisbqueenb Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 9

Lift and Turn..turn...turn....roll it out...turn it 90 degrees...roll again...turn again...
works for a circle or a square or a rectangle... roll from the center out. If you want a circle...pat out the fondant in a thick circle first, for a square or rectangle try to form it that way before you start rolling out.
Hope this helps!

Jayde Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

I measure. Ex: If your cake is 8 inches across and 2 inches high, then you need to roll out your fondant to at least 12 inches all the way around.

I also shape mine and then rotate, roll, then rotate a quater turn, then roll, then rotate a quarter turn. That way it doesnt stick, and I am getting a round shape.

kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 9

Yes, lifting and turning the fondant as you roll is the way. It really doesn't matter that much if it is not perfectly sq or round - just so it is big enough to go completely over the cake & down each side.
In the example mentioned for an 8" round you would need to roll the circle at least 14" in all directions - 2" for one side - 2" for the other side - 8" for the top of the cake and the extra just in caseicon_smile.gif It should be a bit bigger than you need so you can work w/it at the bottom of the cake to work out the pleats/folds that naturally happen.

ceshell Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:09am
post #6 of 9

If you're ever in the market to buy extra tools, I use a pastry mat.--oh wait I think mine is a pizza dough mat--which has circular markings up to 14". I know what you mean about it still being hard to get a perfect circle when you're rolling it out, but in addition to the lift+turn tips you've been given, a mat with measurements has been a HUGE help for me! It looks like this; I like this one because all of the circles are in the center of the mat http://www.chefcentral.com/Mario-Batali-Silicone-Work-Mat-P3354C1199.aspx?UserID=1870878

kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 9

You can get a similar mat from Wilton for a lot less money icon_smile.gif

Pearlx Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 9

Before I roll my fondant out I cut a piece of string the size I require my fondant to be i.e. I begin the string at the base of the cake at one side go over the top to the base of the other side of the cake,cut this piece of string and use it as a measure when you have rolled the fondant out on
your work surface, this ensures you will have the correct size rolled out, before you attempt to place it on your cake. Hope this makes sense[/b]

Pearlx Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

Before I roll my fondant out I cut a piece of string the size I require my fondant to be i.e. I begin the string at the base of the cake at one side go over the top to the base of the other side of the cake,cut this piece of string and use it as a measure when you have rolled the fondant out on
your work surface, this ensures you will have the correct size rolled out, before you attempt to place it on your cake. Hope this makes sense[/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%