Wasc Baking ??

Decorating By newnancy Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm by latingurl_00

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 11

Does anybody know approximately how long to bake a 14" square 2" deep cake using the WASC recipe?

10 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

Probably an hour at 325 degrees. I would start checking after 1 hour

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 11

You bake it until you can smell iticon_smile.gif
Karema is right.......give it about 1 hr but wait until you can smell the cake thru the whole houseicon_smile.gif It should be just starting to pull away from the pan's edges.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 11

with that large of cake pan make sure you use a flower nail in the pan to help cook the center.

newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 11

Thanks everybody. I needed to know about when to start checking & I totally forgot about using a flower nail, another brain dead day.lol

latingurl_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latingurl_00 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 11

The flower nail is new to me..... how do I use it?

newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 11

I've never used it before either, I've just read about it. You just put it in the center of your pan, point side up, & pour your batter in the pan. If this isn't right then maybe someone will correct me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 11

I have baked 1000s of cakes - that size and bigger - w/o ever using a flower nail or heat core. It is not necessary.......BUT...... it won't hurt eithericon_smile.gif
If you are going to use a flower nail (the thought is that it will conduct more heat to the center of the cake) make sure you grease it just like you do the pan,.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 11

I just pour my cake batter in the pan, and then put the nail(s), I use 2 if it's a large cake, down in the batter....nail pointing upward...flat side down against the pan bottom. I do spray my nails with Pam spray so cake doesn't stick to them and they pop right out when I turn the cake out of the pan after baking.
I am also a firm believer and user of bake even strips. Between these and the flower nails...I do VERY LITTLE leveling of my cakes, and my cakes do not have edges that are dry while center is still moist. I started out using homemade bake even strips out of terry towels...but this got to be a huge hassle for me, so I bought the wilton bake even strips with half off coupons at Michaels....worth every cent! And, right now...Michaels and Hobby Lobby have 40& off coupons....woo hoo!

newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 11

Kakeladi, I'm going to have to put you on speed dial here on CC. You're sooo full of information, I could listen to you all day. Thanks!

latingurl_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
latingurl_00 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the advice, I will def. be trying the flower nail trick soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%