2 Tiered Cake

Decorating By sara20 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm by Melvira

sara20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara20 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 11

Do you have to put a piece of cardboard in between tiers if it is only a 2 tiered cake? icon_eek.gif

10 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 11

I always do. It's easier to handle the cake when you are placing it on top of the bottom tier. I also use straws as dowels.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 11

Yes,the weight of the cake, even a 6 inch will sink into the bottom tier and be a big mess. It is also easier to serve.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, yes, yes!

Especially depending on the weight of the top tier, and how sturdy the bottom tier is. I have had a small top tier sink into my bottom tier when I thought they were small enough not to matter. icon_cry.gif

sara20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara20 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 11

Thanxx but even if i have straws in for supports you think it will still sink into the bottom tier

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 11

you need to use several straws cut at the same height as the cake. There is a tutorial on stacking tiers. Search for it and it will explain it better than I can.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara20

Thanxx but even if i have straws in for supports you think it will still sink into the bottom tier

If you don't have a board under the top tier it will sink into the bottom tier and the straws will just press up into the underside of the top tier. The cake board is the thing that keeps the top cake resting on the straws... the straws hold it up, but if you don't have something solid to rest on them, they're just going to pierce the top tier as quickly and effortlessly as you pushed them into the bottom tier.

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 11

When you say "straws" are you taking about drinking straws? I have always wondered what people mean by straws. Thanks!

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #9 of 11

You can use drinking straws if you're talking about a small, light cake, otherwise many people are referring to bubble tea straws when they say straws. They are much stronger and wider. Google it if you don't know what they are and you will get lots of examples. They're pretty cool and probably easier to cut than those stupid plastic dowels. (Grrrrr!! Haha!)

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much for explaining this to me!

Melvira Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 11

No problem at all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%