Airbrush Colors Beading On Cakes

Decorating By Crissy_Cakes Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm by creations08

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 4

I don't know if I'm spraying too close, spraying too much, or just need to clean my airbrush but does anyone know why I get beads of color on my buttercream when I use my airbrush? I mean literally I spray a couple of coats and stop to look and there's tiny beads of wet color everywehre making my cake look like it has freckles. icon_mad.gif

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what I'm talking about? icon_confused.gif

I didn't take a picture of the cake the last time this happened but I have a cake to do over the weekend that has to be airbrushed green and I'm afraid it's going to happen......if it does, I'll post a picture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 4

The answer is yes..the PSI may be turned up too high which causes the spray to come out harder and if you mix that with maybe being too close to the cake will cause beading.I also find that the icing I use which is WBH which is 90% shortening...the beading is more dominant on that icing say than a crusting BC because of the oil content.Step back and spray more but lighter coats if you can.Wait between coats.turn the PSI down a bit.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 4

Yeah, pretty much what kiddiecakes said.....too much psi perhaps, your holding the nozzle too close to the cake with too much color coming out.

This has happened to me and i put a fan on it to dry it out a little quicker...but there were still 'dots' on it.

Airbrushing works best on plain'ol buttercream and fondant.

I tried airbrushing IMBC once and it looked awful....it had a transparent look to it...yuk...oh well...live'n'learn!
icon_wink.gif

creations08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations08 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 4

I've only just started airbrushing and encountered this problem. In my case i applied too much pressure at once. Soo far i've learned to have a constant steady pressure and never use my first stroke on the cake, instead i use a paper towel to test on first to make sure my air brush is working properly.

Good luck! Hopefully you can get some more advice from more experienced airbrushers.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%