Base For Gp Flower (Dome) Cake Topper?

Decorating By stephbakes Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm by sadsmile

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake with a "dome" of ribbon roses on a 5" square top tier.

As I'm experimenting with my arrangement, I realized I have no idea what to mount them on, as the cake is covered with fondant, and for that matter, what to adhere them with.

The cake is covered with BLACK fondant, the roses are red.

I thought I might use any leftover red fondant/GP mixture and build a little dome to stick them to?

I was going to make some red Royal Icing to attach them...would that be strong enough, considering the dome's sloped sides?

4 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 5

As long as you make your royal nice and thick and color it the same color it will dry like cement and shouldn't show.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5

in toba garrett's classes.. we usually make a dome, from the fondant/g/p mixture.. our flowers are usually on wires.. we cut the wires and stick the flowers and leaves in the dome.. since yours is ribbon roses.. the royal icing will be great. also, red chocolate melted.. thats what sugarshack uses all time to attach things.. hth

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:18am
post #4 of 5

thanks all!

I ended up making a red fondant dome and kneading in some tylose to help it firm up.

I did run into a challenge arranging and attaching the hardened ribbon roses (not on wires). I kinda arranged them, pushed them hard enough to make a little impression from the flowers' base, and then once they were mostly how I liked them, went back one by one and attached them with some tylose-water glue. it was a pretty goopy mess. The glue certainly won't work for attaching the roses or pearls on the other surfaces of the cake. Hiding the goop with some wired pearls in the morning. Hopefully it turns out okay. I'll post a pic when its all done!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 5

OK so where is that pic missy? I wanna see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%