Question About Wasc...

Decorating By abra526 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm by kakeladi

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 18

I have never made WASC, but I read about how wonderful it is all the time, so I want to give it a try with some cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. My question is about the size of the recipe. According to the recipe, if I make a half batch, which consists of a full cake mix, plus all the added ingredients, it will be enough batter to make 2 8" rounds. This is the same amount that a regular cake mix will make. Wouldn't the extra flour and sugar make more batter? Sorry if this sounds like dumb question!

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 18

The recipe actually makes quite a bit.It fills my 5 quart bowl right full...According to the recipe it will make...

14 inch round + one 6 inch round
or one 16 inch round
or one 12 inch round +one 10 inch round
or a 12x18 sheet cake
or a 12 inch round + one 8 inch round + one 6 inch round

Half a recipe makes....

two 8 inch rounds
or two 6 inch rounds + 6 cupcakes

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 18

If you're making the *original* Kakeladi's recipe you should get about 36-40 cupcakes from it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 18

Using DH cake mix, a 1/2 recipe of the WASC cake recipe will yield a tad over 7 cups of batter.

A cake mix will yield between 4 to 5-1/2 cups of batter.

An undoctored cake mix yields enough batter to fill two 8" cake pans if the cake pans are 1-1/2" tall.

In order to fill decorator cake pans (2" tall) more batter is required (3-1/2 cups per pan).

HTH

JanH Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 18

Using DH cake mix, a 1/2 recipe of the WASC cake recipe will yield a tad over 7 cups of batter.

A cake mix will yield between 4 to 5-1/2 cups of batter.

An undoctored cake mix yields enough batter to fill two 8" cake pans if the cake pans are 1-1/2" tall.

In order to fill decorator cake pans (2" tall) more batter is required (3-1/2 cups per pan).

HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:53am
post #6 of 18

What JanH said about the size of the pans.

These pans are not only usually shorter but they are usually the ones that you are able to nest inside one another so therefore do not have straight sides. You can find these types of cake pans at your local grocery store and such.

Here's a pic of one:

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/635254.html (these are the kind I had before I started decorating cakes icon_lol.gif )

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 18

I believe this recipe was from Rebecca Sutterby (Sugarshack) but I could be wrong!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 18

Yes, I saw that too, WASC from Rebecca Sutterby, but her cake company is called Sugar Creations, www.sugarcreations.com
Sugar Shack is Sharon Zambito I believe, www.sharonssugarshack.com

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 18

On a side note....Kiddiekakes I love your website! Wow can you rock the character cakes. My 3 little daughters would love them.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 18

I'm going to make a 14" square 2" deep using ML pans. I thought I read hear that when making a WASC you have to fill the pans a little fuller than normal. Is this true?

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 18

Ha Ha....I knew it wasn't quite right!! Thanks for clarifying that SHogg!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the nice comments too!! icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 18

.......thought I read hear that when making a WASC you have to fill the pans a little fuller than normal. Is this true?........

Haven't heard that one before. All cake pans should be filled about 2/3rds full anytime. It's soooooooo much easier than trying to measure out cups of batter! - how messy!!

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 18

See post below. Sorry, granddaughter hit the enter key while I was typing. icon_redface.gif

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 18

Abra 526,
I just made the recipe you're talking about (with one cake mix and the extra ingreds), yesterday. I ended up with 30 nice sized cupcakes. I filled them 3/4 full.
HTH.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks kakeladi, I must'va been having one of those brain fades.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 18

Thankyou for all the responses! I'm going to give it a try, I'm so ready to taste this recipe! happy baking!

JanH Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......thought I read hear that when making a WASC you have to fill the pans a little fuller than normal. Is this true?........

Haven't heard that one before.

I've never read/hear that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

....... All cake pans should be filled about 2/3rds full anytime. It's soooooooo much easier than trying to measure out cups of batter! - how messy!!

I fill 2" pan 2/3 full, 3" pans 1/2 full.

Was wondering how you know how much batter any given recipe yields if you don't measure it (at least once) before filling the pans. If you don't really know how much batter you have, how do you determine if you have enough, or how much more you need.

I measure one cup of batter (by weight) the first time I make a new recipe and then can calculate (and notate) how many cups the recipe yields. Then I know if I have the amount required for the pans I'm using and don't have to quick make up another batch. Or conversely, I'm not making an extra batch "just in case" which wasn't necessary.

Would also think that knowing exactly what the batter yield is would make filling the pans more precise, especially if you use a variety of pan sizes.

JMHO

kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 18

.........how you know how much batter any given recipe yields if you don't measure it (at least once) before filling the pans. .........

Partly you learn it over timeicon_smile.gif
Measure using water. Fill you pan to the level you need then measure it into cups. Make notes -= mark your pan - whatever so you remember.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%