Texture On A Basketball...?

Decorating By plbennett_8 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm by kakeladi

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All icon_smile.gif

I am betting that someone out there has already found the best "tool" to put the bumpy texture on a fondant basketball... Please share your thoughts... icon_smile.gif I have one due this weekend, and it's time to get busy!

Thanks,
Pat B.

7 replies
Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't done it, but my first thought was using a paper towel to get the texture.

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 8

I have used the super cheap paper towels they tend to have that texture.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 8

i just made a basketball cake.. it was iced in buttercream , though.. i also use the cheapest paper towel with that texture..most of the time , i get that texture from the dollar store. i haven,t done one covered in fondant.. but right many in buttercream..i love how the paper towel gives it that effect.. so that, cheap paper towel ,might just work on fondant. hth

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

I did a basketball cake and used the textured papertowel and it did exactly what I wa looking for!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 8

The super cheap paper towels do very well on b'cream. Not sure how it might do on fondant. Maybe if you rolled over it w/a rolling pin it might be o.k.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #7 of 8

Thanks all! icon_smile.gif I have looked at the last couple of strores, and all the paper towels had a pattern on them like diamonds ore something... Has anybody ever covered it in Fondant and textured? I was thinking maybe a new brush of some kind?

Thanks!
Pat

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 8

The brush idea might work.
I'm surprised you can't find any super cheap paper towels that have just bumps on them icon_smile.gif

I saw on Ace of cake last night.....they used something to texture fondant so it would look sort of stone like.....it looked like a thick piece of rubber (maybe 4" sq) that they sort of 1/2 rolled over this large piece of fondant. Sooooooo I think your idea of a brush might work icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%