Help! Airbrush Colors

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm by MistyNV30

MistyNV30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

I need some help. I have gotten an airbrush kit. But can't find colors for it in my area so I'm going to order some on-line. But in the time being is there anyway that you can mix the gel colors with something to thin them out to use with this? I want to make sure it will work before I invest the $$ into it.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

5 replies
xinue Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 6

I mix regular gel colors with vodka it works wonders for me. Just make sure there are no lumps 'cause they can clog the airbrush.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 6

You could also try the liquid food colors from the grocery store

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

I would be careful about mixing gel/paste colors with alcohol as the small particles can clog the airbrush and for the price you paid for the airbrush..I wouldn't chance it! Buy proper airbrush liquids such as Americolor Airbrush colors as they are meant exactly for that.I have heard many people try the paste method and have ruined their nozzles.JMO icon_smile.gif

edited to say that liquid food colors from the grocery store will work but the color selection is limited even when mixing and the red always turns out pink! icon_wink.gif

KatieKake Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 6

I do the same as Xinue, and it works fine, I do have a lot of air brush colors, but I don't really like some of them, the red is not the color I want, so I mix red red with vodka, I put it in a glass container that I can see through, so I can see from the top and bottom of the container, to make sure there are no lumps. Works great.

MistyNV30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help. I will be ordering some on friday. But till then how much vodka would you use. This would be a test cake and my kids would be eating it not sure if that would be very smart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%